Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Business card Menger Sponge

Started by Ivoah, May 12, 2015, 12:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivoah

(I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this topic, feel free to move it mods)
A few years ago I started to work on building a Menger Sponge entirely out of business cards.

If people bug me enough I might get around to finishing it some time.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Yuki

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

alexgt

Whoa... How long did that take?! I had to look it up and I would be amazed to see it finished *bug bug bug* :)

Also what are Internets? I gave you one but I don't know what they are.
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Ivoah

Quote from: alexgt on May 12, 2015, 12:20:07 AM
Whoa... How long did that take?! I had to look it up and I would be amazed to see it finished *bug bug bug* :)

Well, I haven't been working on it straight through, all together I would say that took around maybe 10 - 15 hours of straight work.

Also, an Internet is just points, like the ++ points on #cemetech. They don't really mean anything.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Snektron

Awesome :D anyone ever thought about how a menger sponge has infininte area yet no volume? O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Now imagine if you had the blocks in different colors. It would look like Minecraft! O.O

This looks quite cool by the way. I am unsure actually in which forum section this would go, but I'll see with the moderators later I guess.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

I dunno, we don't have such craft&art subforums and they wouldn't be too big neither. i would put it in Drawing/Animation and rename it to something like "Global Art-ing"
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Ivoah on May 12, 2015, 12:23:06 AM
Quote from: alexgt on May 12, 2015, 12:20:07 AM

Well, I haven't been working on it straight through, all together I would say that took around maybe 10 - 15 hours of straight work.

Also, an Internet is just points, like the ++ points on #cemetech. They don't really mean anything.
I remember when I ran Omni that I had disabled the img tag for Internets links in 2011 because their server was atrociously slow and caused OmnomIRC to fail (back then, Javascript didn't load in browsers until the entire page, including all off-site images, were done loading). It has been solved ever since, thankfully. :P I was pretty high in the Internetometer list for a while too but that was back when even the top 100 only had like 50 internets IIRC. :P

As for the first post, Target had Minecraft origami kits over here while they were closing down but when they became 60% off (regular price $17) they were gone. I wish that they had sold packages of blocks that you have to build yourself. It would have been interesting to do something like you did with them. But I bet it would still have been expensive.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

A while back i made a papercraft minecraft cave (a small one though) as present for the kid of friends of my parents :)

Ivoah

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on May 14, 2015, 08:33:28 AM
A while back i made a papercraft minecraft cave (a small one though) as present for the kid of friends of my parents :)

With stuff like that, though, I'm sure you had to use glue. This is made out of just business cards, nothing else at all. There's a fancy interlocking method used to hold them together, and the folding for it is ridiculously easy. Here's instructions if anyone's interested: http://theiff.org/images/menger/sponge%20cube%20instructions.pdf

Unicorn

That's awesome looking Ivoah! Out of buisness card no less :P
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Woah that's a nice trick Ivoah O.O. I didn't really think about it. If I can get my hand on a large amount of business cards or something else that can let me do something similar, then I might give this a try.

Snektron

Make a papercraft walrii O.O That would be amazing :D

Ivoah

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 15, 2015, 06:56:25 AM
Woah that's a nice trick Ivoah O.O. I didn't really think about it. If I can get my hand on a large amount of business cards or something else that can let me do something similar, then I might give this a try.

To make a level 3 menger sponge (which is what I'm making) without the nice paneling you need 6*20*20 = 2400 business cards, and more if you want the nice smooth tiling. I got most of my cards from my dad, he worked for a printing company for ~20 years, so we got a lot of paper rejects.

Dream of Omnimaga

Darn that's a lot! O.O I thought it was less. I guess I can forget about my business card-based 3D :walrii: then <_<