Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Flowers! [withdrew from contest] [ti-nspire cx] [PC]

Started by Strontium, April 29, 2015, 11:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strontium

NOTICE: There is a git repo available here: https://gitlab.com/Strontium/flowers

I am creating a game where you program a plants DNA to allow it to survive in the given environment. DNA is edited in segments of four, and each segment does a different thing. So a segment dedicated to leaves could allow you to change the type of leave, wether that means its a light leaf, dark leaf, fuzzy leaf, whatever. (Yes, each type of leaf in nature has its pros and cons, they are not just like that to look pretty!)

For each plant you create, there will be some undocumented DNA segments that randomly generate in a different place each time. It is up to you to experiment with the undocumented ones to see what they do & utilize them.

You can see how much water, nutrients, and sunlight your plant it getting (all relative to its size) in the stats screen:

(the white borders are a bug in the emulator :P)

There will also be a screen where you can see your plant, and observe the environment. How much rain? How much sun? How good is the soil? Using what you can see on this screen will help you create your plant.

My TODO list, in order of priority:
-- finish stats screen (complete)
-- finish plant visualizer
-- make DNA editor
-- write the simulation code
-- score & failure screens

After the contest I am going to allow myself to expand into 8x6 or maybe 12x9 so I can add more features in stuff in order to make it more intuitive and fun.
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

Strontium

Huh. Tested this on a real calc, *some* of the white lines are real. But I have no idea how to fix them or why they are there D:
Edit: Fixed them by rounding the outputs of the functions I used to get the window dimensions. Thanks math.ceil()!

Now all of the extra lines are bugs in the emulator, not in my code:

Dream of Omnimaga

Interesting idea. Will the leaves always have a green color or can they sometimes be represented with something else? What about sun, heat, cold, rain, etc?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Strontium

On the plant screen, the sun will be in the upper right corner as a single pixel. The brightness represents how much heat and sunlight is being given off.

When it rains, the sun will be blocked by a cloud and blue pixels will fall from the sky.

I could make it so your plant could be different colors, but it would be only for aesthetics. Doing anything more advanced with colors would require more space.

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah ok thanks for clarifying. Sounds like a better move to put it at the top in a corner, since that's where it normally is. :P. I also like the rain drop idea. Or you could just replace the sun with an invisible pixel when it's cloudy, blue when it's rainy and gray when it's snowing.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Strontium

But thats lame.

And now I want to include snow, but without being able to make it much more advanced I don't know how to implement it...

something something cold adapted something something surprise global warming something something BURN!

Dream of Omnimaga

You could maybe focus on the basics for now since after all plants usually can't grow in a snowy environment anyway. The most common conditions are hot, warm, cold, dry, wet, rainy, cloudy and sunny.

Unicorn

I have a feeling this will be the most original. :P

Anyways, that is a pretty cool idea, blending ed with games.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Strontium

Strontium

UPDATE TIME!

I've begun working on the environment viewer screen. So far, the sun varies brightness depending on how much light it should give off, and the quality of the land is displayed in the color of the soil (light green is the best, dark brown is pretty good, light brown starts to suck, and then theres a bunch of different yellows for desert. There are also other colors for the land, those are just some examples).

This part is half-way done, though, because displaying the plant depends on its DNA, which I have not yet implemented. As such, I will begin work on the DNA editor tomorrow. Once the DNA editor is done, I'll be able to finish the plant visualizer.

Once I finish the plant visualizer, I'll begin working on the simulation code.

Dream of Omnimaga

The layout is much better this way :)

Strontium

The other screen still exists :P Its kinda necessary so that the player can understand what is going on with the plant. Showing the environment with a image instead of some status bars is a lot more pleasant, which is why I am doing that here.

Unfortunately, the DNA editor wont be very pretty. Once I expand into 8x6 after the contest, though, I have nice plans for it.

Snektron

I like the sun and the grass. Very clear what's its supposed to be, and looks nice ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

alexgt

Air pollution would be a nice touch.
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX