Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Gateway to Legend [pc]

Started by 123outerme, October 15, 2017, 08:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_iPhoenix_

The art style is very interesting. It's almost like the halfway point between high-res and the low-res, pixel-art graphics. It would be really cool if you were able to switch between the old, pixel-art graphics and the new, more smooth graphics.

If you do decide to do the high-resolution graphics, I recommend having multiple versions of each tile, each being slightly different in some way. This adds variation against a sea of the same color. I particularly think that natural things, like the grass and trees, should have different variations.

Also, the aliens disappear when you scroll. Is that intentional?
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

123outerme

Quote from: _iPhoenix_ on April 23, 2018, 07:38:13 PM
The art style is very interesting. It's almost like the halfway point between high-res and the low-res, pixel-art graphics. It would be really cool if you were able to switch between the old, pixel-art graphics and the new, more smooth graphics.

If you do decide to do the high-resolution graphics, I recommend having multiple versions of each tile, each being slightly different in some way. This adds variation against a sea of the same color. I particularly think that natural things, like the grass and trees, should have different variations.

Also, the aliens disappear when you scroll. Is that intentional?
Thanks! I plan on having two tilesheets available to map-pack makers. There's the 48x48 tileset, the one you see in all the screenshots, and the 8x8 (upscaled * 6) tilesheet. I could possibly implement a switching of tilesheets while playing a map-pack, but that might get pretty confusing. I also intend to go back over my tilesheet and add more variations, like you suggested.

The enemies disappearing when you switch maps is actually not intentional. I finished the graphical scrolling of the background, and saw it was done. I'm not sure if I want to keep it like this, though, because if an enemy moves from its starting position while you switch into a new map, the enemy will reappear at its starting postion, which may be a little confusing. The second map will have its enemies in the right place, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

123outerme

While I'm doing background work on the engine (mainly adding features to the Toolchain and adding the last script into the game), I have been working on my related side-project, the GtL webpage. Meant to be a source of information, documentation, and a collection of links, I had a bright idea: why not host map-packs online? So, I set out to working with Firebase to implement this. As I didn't post anything about this along the way, I'll instead recap and explain some Discord announcements and posts I sent to my GtL Discord. Click the link to join if you're interested!

So my project has started to take shape, and I've made this website: https://gtlmappacks.firebaseapp.com/index.html
It adds rudimentary map-pack upload and download support. It will support a download counter as well as a like button. Once I actually release Gateway, I imagine this will be used a lot more, but for now we have this
My first announcement of the site. It had just launched with bare-bones upload/download support. It had a dummy download and like counter. No way to post map-packs with a certain type, description, or even see the profile picture of the person who uploaded it.

I've added the second-to-last script type editor, the one for the BossActions script! Now you can fully script bosses. Related to that, I changed the format of the BossActions script so now, it uses coordinates instead of X/Y velocities. I also revamped text input (and more noticeably, the Change FPS setting) to add just numerical input!
Today, I got back to working on the actual game and added editing to BossActions. BossActions has been functional for months, but I've been putting off creating the editor, since there were so many parts to it. I had to have the player choose what tiles the boss is, how much HP, and then figure out a way to have them define a variable amount of points for the boss to move to. However, I finally put that task to bed. Just one more script to create, and then that should be totally done! Also, I added an input method just for numbers, so you can't try to break the system by inputting text in a number-only input.

Since I'm feeling productive today, I also updated the map-pack webpage. Now, the Download (now View) button for each listing on the Download Map-Packs page redirects to the View page for each map-pack, where you can read about it, vote on it, and download it. I think I will add more such as an actual forum, as well
===============================================================================
Ok last update (hopefully not for a while like it seems to be). I finally added the ability to like map-packs! The server keeps track of if you have liked or not, and will add or subtract a like depending on which you have done, when you press like. I'm gonna go ahead and style buttons tomorrow, as well as adding more information on the View page, such as likes and downloads. Perhaps I'll make a Comments field as well
I just updated the map-pack webpage to add a lot more to the Download and View pages, as well as making some things auto-load. I still haven't decided what I want on the Index of the page. Most likely a search function and featured map-packs. As you see, I am also debating adding a comments field to map-pack uploads, and adding a full forum! I think it's within my scope, although hopefully it won't become super popular, or my Firebase plan won't be able to handle the traffic!

123outerme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBg9ZrcdTz4

I've added all script types! The one showed off most prominently (and probably a little too much for the final version of that map-pack) is the Animation script! Once the user walks into the trigger area, a sprite will move around onscreen in a pre-determined fashion. According to the map-pack creator, the sprite can initiate a text box after it's done moving, stay onscreen until another is activated, and more.

As well, this marks the first public beta release. I have gone ahead and added it to my Github releases here:
https://github.com/123outerme/Gateway-to-Legend/releases/tag/0.9.0b

This script type also has its editor implemented, meaning all map-pack features planned are now implemented! Some other things are not finished yet, though. As to be expected from a beta release. However, I have more done than I actually have realized up until now, so I'm looking forward to releasing, hopefully within the next couple of months. It could be sooner, or possibly later, though.

123outerme

https://github.com/123outerme/Gateway-to-Legend/releases/tag/v0.10.0b

v0.10.0b has been released! The secend public beta release comes with some new stuff. I've added a transition screen between the main menu and playing a map-pack. I've also added proper death handling, including a Game Over menu and relevant options. Menus have received proper click support, so clicking on options will now activate, scroll, etc. as they should. One new event tile has been implemented: the Boss Door! The boss door will open automatically when the boss on that screen is defeated and remain permanently open. As a result, event tile maps have been shifted down by one to add this tile next to the other door tiles. This means maps made before this change will most likely have wrong tiles in place of spikes, gateways, and enemies, as well as a few other tiles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efDQ3bgpt0o
Video showing off the most recent progress!

123outerme

Coming soon: Abilites!

The ability I've had implemented for a while and shown off a little bit is the Dash. Double-tap any arrow key to dash in that direction! Perfect for fast movement, dodging, and more!

In the next build, these two will be implemented. First is the Spin. Just like Zelda, it is a 360 degree slashing spin attack! Perfect for when you're surrounded.

The last ability I have fully implemented is the Illusion. Leave behind a fake copy of yourself and disappear to enemies, even becoming invulnerable for a short time! Perfect for getaways.

mazhat

Looks like a fun Zelda/Robotron-like game.
Will the enemies get more diverse?
I feel very inspired :)

The double tap to dash makes me nervous though,
That single button feature has made me
die ten billion times in Terraria.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83Plus, TI-84Plus
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung TAB A (Cheap), DSI, Rasperry PI 3
Sketti

123outerme

Quote from: mazhat on July 04, 2018, 12:52:30 AM
Looks like a fun Zelda/Robotron-like game.
Will the enemies get more diverse?
I feel very inspired :)

The double tap to dash makes me nervous though,
That single button feature has made me
die ten billion times in Terraria.
There are only 3 types of enemies planned. This is to make things a little more simple to develop and create map-packs for.
However, the challenge in fighting enemies will mostly come from bosses, as those can be defined to move in any way.

The double-tap to dash is fairly responsive, and I've tried to make it so that it's hard to activate unless you mean to.
All the other abilities will be able to be activated by double-tapping the Special key (default Left Shift).

Speaking of other abilities, I've added one more: Laser! Simply enough, you shoot out a damaging laser in a straight line in the direction you were facing when you fired. You don't get to activate your sword until after the laser disappears off the edge of the screen, though.

Gateway to Legend v0.11.0b coming soon! Many new features are in store. As soon as I finish map-packs and fix a few bugs, I think it's just about done! Stay tuned!

_iPhoenix_

With map packs, I think it would be cool if you could use a preset boss or define your own boss.

Evolution of my avatar:

123outerme

Version 0.11.0b is now out! Lots of new things have been implemented, buggy or confusing behavior has been fixed, and I finally added enemies the transition screens (Although I may not have shown it off fully)!
Download the new release here: https://github.com/123outerme/Gateway-to-Legend/releases

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5eBGIBdVh8

Patch Notes

* Added three new abilities: Spin, Illusion, and Laser. One more is planned, but I don't see why I can't add more if I find more than one good ability to add.
* Added enemies' proper positions to transition screens (scrolling, Gateway animation)
* Changed pathfinding of Enemy 2 (ghost enemy) to move in a straight-ish line directly towards the player
* Updated water sprite in default tileset.
* Added mouse support to volume changing and different toolchain menus.
* Menus now show which item you are about to select with your mouse
* Added the Settings menu to the Overworld pause menu.
* Added and fixed more maps.
* Fixed bug: Boss action editing and animation editing would display movement patterns inaccurately mostly
* Fixed Linux bug: After the movement part of an Animation script has completed, the game would crash.
* Tweaked the toolchain a bit.
[close]

Dream of Omnimaga

I haven't played it for very long but I'll retry for longer later. I'M glad this came along this nicely and that it continues on with the cool custom maps feature.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

_iPhoenix_

I really like how you implemented fighting. It looks awesome.

I do think that the boss you showed should have more health, because you defeated it in like five hits :P

On bosses, maybe you could show a boss bar or something that shows a visual indicator of the health of the boss.
Also, the fanfare after the boss fight works amazingly.

(Sorry for such a choppy post, I'm in a bit of a rush right now)

Evolution of my avatar:

123outerme

Quote from: xlibman on July 07, 2018, 04:39:11 AM
I haven't played it for very long but I'll retry for longer later. I'M glad this came along this nicely and that it continues on with the cool custom maps feature.
Awesome, thanks! Yeah, the custom maps feature both hold it back as far as how pretty I can make it (can't really do fluid animations all that well with the sprite system), and push it forward into something novel.

Quote from: _iPhoenix_ on July 08, 2018, 03:29:07 PM
I really like how you implemented fighting. It looks awesome.

I do think that the boss you showed should have more health, because you defeated it in like five hits :P

On bosses, maybe you could show a boss bar or something that shows a visual indicator of the health of the boss.
Also, the fanfare after the boss fight works amazingly.

(Sorry for such a choppy post, I'm in a bit of a rush right now)
Thanks! I'm really proud of the combat, although it's very simple. From both a map-maker's and player's perspective, the simple 3-enemy system and Zelda-like combat give it a comfortable feel: nothing is too surprising until the boss, yet through the placement and types of enemies used, a map-maker can make a room as hard or easy for a player as they like. They can also give it certain atmospheres. For example, 6 ghost enemies following the player no matter where on the map they go can be eerie. Or, 6 stone giants can feel like you've hit a brick wall. Mixing the two almost always feels like fighting an army. The birds can just be annoying distractions until a boss, due to their 1-hit nature, and the fact that you can out-maneuver them.

Actually, you guessed right on the nose, that boss took 5 hits to kill. However, I've upped the number for the next release.
Taking that suggestion, I have added a floating health bar to the bosses.

And finally, thank you for the fanfare! I'm glad it turned out well.

And why, you ask, am I posting now? Other than because it would be rude to ignore these posts, I've gotten back to work on GtL, and have a new build almost ready to go! New maps, features, etc. coming up!

123outerme

Version 0.12.0b is hitting digital and metaphorical store shelves! Dropping with new content, fixes, streamlines and more! This update has more changelog entries than any of the past ones so far. Most changes aren't additions to gameplay, but rather changes and minor improvements. These include more SFX, streamlined menus and controls, bug fixes, and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqf-65WExY0

Download the new release here: https://github.com/123outerme/Gateway-to-Legend/releases

Changelog

* Added lots more maps & content
* Added 3 new SFX: One for dash, one for pausing, and one for being healed by a HurtPlayer script
* Added Back button to Map Creator's Save/Discard menu
* Added backup keymap to Map Creator's tile switcher ([Q] becomes [-], [E] becomes [=])
*Generated scripts will now include comments to describe roughly what the script does
* Removed some options for keymaps ([LCtrl], [RCtrl], [-], and [=])
* Revamped help menus and added informative screenshots to some Help menus
* Reduced menuing to get to popular options
* Fixed the first boss' fighting pattern to prevent standing in one spot and attacking
* Fixed minor issues with toolchain
* Fixed issue that sometimes prevented user from quitting out immediately when trying to close the window
* Fixed issue where using the sword then shooting a laser while sword's on cooldown removes the laser's hitbox
* Fixed quite a few crashes/accidental immediate quits (where the program would accidentally think you want to close the window)

One bug remains:
* All: After quitting the game, cleanup will sometimes crash (essentially unnoticeable, but I'm still fixing it)
[close]

123outerme

Gateway to Legend v0.13.0b is about to drop! I've been hard at work polishing Main Adventure, and now it's fully completed! I added the final Ability, as well, the Charge! See it in action below:

As well, two more map-packs are on the way: Tutorial, an obviously-named map pack. Perfect for learning the ropes, testing, experimenting, and more! The other map-pack will be the Map Design pack! This will teach and show you the basics on how to properly design a map, as well as how users will be interacting with your creations.

Finally, when v1.0 does drop, I want to remind everyone to visit the Gateway to Legend Map-Pack website, where you can find user-created map-packs! I hope to see a lot of map-packs on that website!

As well, if you want to be on top of the news when it comes to Gateway to Legend, be sure to join our Discord!