Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Color Speedrun[unity]

Started by semiprocoder, February 21, 2017, 03:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

semiprocoder

So update again.
Just participated in a hackathon. Wanted to do something in virtual reality(borrowed a rift) and had absolutely no idea, so we just decided to make a 3d color speedrun: VrRun.
The problem was that we planned to have enemies and stuff, but there were SO many issues that we ran into. Basically spent 1 hr developing and the rest of the time showing our game to some people who never saw vr(VR is cool and I hope to get a used dk2 on ebay for my birthday soon) and just fixing all the crap or simply setting up.
Anyways, ended up with a very small and unfinished game that basically has no features, but whatever, here is the link if anyone here has a VR headset:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjzq0f1qk9kcsit/VrRun.exe?dl=0
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

p2

if ur really interested in VR and especially in AR as well, I can totally recommend using the HoloLens over the Rift for the processing power as well as general handling of AR.
Also development on the HoloLens is really fun.  :thumbsup:

Buuuuuut the hardware is no way worth the 3000 bucks (dev version) plus there wont be a hardwaye update until 2019 which sucks.... :/
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

semiprocoder

I mean, if I am planning to get a used $200 dk2(from like 2013) on ebay instead of a new $600 cv1, then I obviously am not getting a $3000 holo lens.

Furthermore, I am honestly not too hyped about the hololens. I used to be, but now I am not. #1 obviously $3000 is bad, but the main reason is that it does not take up all your vision, which makes it harder to play, say, immersive games. If you use the entire screen, then it would feel like a very large display rather than your entire vision.

Now the oculus rift I used in the event isn't perfect. You can see a small section through the nosepiece, and that is kind of annoying. However, when I tried an htc vive out in a microsoft store, it was MUCH better than the oculus rift. I remember that it was quite comfortable and took up all your vision, without any annoying areas that take away from immersion. Of course, dk2 is worse than either of these, but it is much cheaper.

Anyways this sums up my newest opions on the hololens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF2QhJjCaDc

p2

I was mostly talking about the tracking capabilities of the hololens.
I'm working with it since a couple of weeks, and never have I had any problems with it, it's pretty much working perfectly! In this area it's far better than any other AR hardware is. That's also why I recommended it.

But I dislike microsoft so I have to mention that the guy in the video was pretty much wrong abuot it not getting uncomfortable after a while:
The HoloLens is way too heavy and it hurts if you carry it for over an hour.
Also the tiny field of vision is terrible (while the quality inside that tiny display is still amazing. But since they announced not to do hardware updates before 2019 that pretty much killed it.

Still:
If they update their hardwre in 2019, increase the screen size, reduce the weight, then it's gonna be the perfect AR device and you're probably doing the right thing working with VisualStudio and especially Unity (and C#) now, cuz that's gonna be the future of Augmented Reality.
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

semiprocoder

I mean, if they do that AND bring the price down to like sub $500, I would totally get that. I very much doubt they will do that though.

Also yeah, unity is pretty cool, but I am really inexperienced rn. I am slowly learning, but my knowledge was definitely not enough even for my simple hackathon idea. I might attend another hackathon soon cause this one was fun; by that time, I should have much better skills.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah VR headsets are really expensive. I think the cheapest way to get VR is to get Google Cardboard or something, but then I dunno if it's true VR and about the compatibility.

Anyway I tried Color Speedrun @semiprocoder and you should probably fix this error message:

QuoteThere should be 'ColorSpeedrun_Data'
folder next to the executable

It happens regardless of if the folder exists or not, on Windows 10
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

semiprocoder

Ok, I should have included the folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ivx9esllelulpxw/AACo3uvNpwraeNMh38zH2jZea?dl=0

The executable only really runs with the oculus rift, as it uses the head tracking of the oculus rift and does not have any other camera rotation. I could add some, but tbh this demo really has nothing much. As I said, I spent like no time actually programming this and all my time just trying to make it work. The code to control the player in this game is 50(edit: 100) lines, and the code to control the player in the 2d somewhat release-able version is 400(edit: 500) lines.

In any case, as I state before, my goals are to VASTLY improve my unity knowledge and get an oculus rift of my own.

Dream of Omnimaga

What about the Color Speedrun demo posted on the previous page though? Does it require the oculus rift as well? Because I get the same error with it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 27, 2017, 06:33:28 PM
Yeah VR headsets are really expensive. I think the cheapest way to get VR is to get Google Cardboard or something, but then I dunno if it's true VR and about the compatibility.

Anyway I tried Color Speedrun semiprocoder and you should probably fix this error message:

Cardboard is the cheapest VR solution, but also the least immersive. If you go back and grab the old ViewMaster toy and play with that, that's more or less how immersive it really is, of course with games instead of pictures. Anything greater than $15 (so basically every VR machine that isn't the Cardboard) will give you a much better experience. I played on my friend's Vive, and while I knew deep inside the world I saw was fake, in every other way I believed it was real. Even though the game was a buggy, crummy tech demo of a game poorly explained and poorly done. Even when I played the Sonic '06 of Steam's selection of VR games, I was still intensely immersed.

Sorry, just had to add my experiences.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

semiprocoder

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 27, 2017, 06:44:50 PM
What about the Color Speedrun demo posted on the previous page though? Does it require the oculus rift as well? Because I get the same error with it.
@DJ Omnimaga did you download the VrRun_Data folder and unzip it to the same location as the game? It should work. I run it fine without an oculus rift(just camera rotation doesn't work). Also if you want I could compile it to not support VR. Alright whatever I will edit it when I finish compiling non Vr version and some camera rotation.

EDIT: The same link as before should have a non vr version I slightly modified that allows you to move horizontally with your mouse. For some reason feels a bit funky if I add vertical movement as well(as I said, I am bad at unity rn but am going to start to learn).

Also,
Quote from: 123outerme on March 27, 2017, 06:45:09 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 27, 2017, 06:33:28 PM

Anyway I tried Color Speedrun semiprocoder and you should probably fix this error message:

Cardboard is the cheapest VR solution, but also the least immersive. If you go back and grab the old ViewMaster toy and play with that, that's more or less how immersive it really is, of course with games instead of pictures. Anything greater than $15 (so basically every VR machine that isn't the Cardboard) will give you a much better experience. I played on my friend's Vive, and while I knew deep inside the world I saw was fake, in every other way I believed it was real. Even though the game was a buggy, crummy tech demo of a game poorly explained and poorly done. Even when I played the Sonic '06 of Steam's selection of VR games, I was still intensely immersed.

Sorry, just had to add my experiences.
I tried my friend's google cardboard once and I really didn't like it(this was before I tried the vive & now rift). I really don't think that any mobile VR solution could be that great, just due to the lack of sheer processing power(the minimum spec for the oculus rift is a 960 or 1050 ti, which is somewhat high end for laptops and desktops, much less phones).

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok I'll give this a try semiprocoder :3=. I didn't know it was required for the previous version, as I thought that *was* the non-VR version :P