Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

DellardOS - A lightweight systemd-free distro

Started by gameblabla, December 20, 2016, 09:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameblabla

HE'S DEAD JIM

I have resurrected DellardOS, a lightweight devuan distribution.

It is a fairly lightweight linux distro and it runs very fast on Pentium Pro/II hardware.
It is using JWM as the main window manager and has a focus on minimalism.

It is provided with 4 browsers, a basic music player, SpaceFM with udevil, a basic image viewer, Sylpheed
as well as plenty of settings to tune DellardOS.

When launched from the menu, browsers are also protected with Firejail, which should make it much harder
against hackers to break out of the browser in case of a vulnerability.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Interesting. I wonder if this would be lightweight enough to run on the TI-Nspire or some other lower-end platforms? :P

EDIT: Nevermind, according to the specs on the site D:. Still cool, though :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 02, 2017, 02:42:33 AM
Interesting. I wonder if this would be lightweight enough to run on the TI-Nspire or some other lower-end platforms? :P
EDIT: Nevermind, according to the specs on the site D:. Still cool, though :)
A Ti-Nspire port could be done but i could never get linux to work on my nspire.
I might attempt this though...
DellardOS actually has high requirements but that's due to the live CD.
When installed, it takes about 30Mb of RAM in idle.

Dream of Omnimaga

If you have issues running Linux then you might have to ask in the Omni thread or maybe a separate thread here, in case certain people can still help. It was discontinued, I believe, though.

And thanks for the clarifications.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

WholeWheatBagels

Is this lightweight enough to run on a Raspberry Pi?
Living in another world to you.

Also in case you were wondering Frankie did go to Hollywood

Yuki

I could try it on my RPi and a few other exotic stuff... Is there instructions on how to build it and which packages comes with it exactly?
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

gameblabla

Quote from: WholeWheatBagels on January 07, 2017, 03:48:38 AM
Is this lightweight enough to run on a Raspberry Pi?
Absolutely, this should be lightweight enough for even on the very first Raspberry Pi with 256Mb of RAM.
The current requirements for the x86 version don't apply on the raspberry pi, it should take less than 30Mb of RAM idle.
(like the x86 version but after installation)

However...
Quote from: Juju on January 07, 2017, 03:59:37 AM
I could try it on my RPi and a few other exotic stuff... Is there instructions on how to build it and which packages comes with it exactly?
There is no automatic way or scripts to build DellardOS, it's all done manually.
It uses upstream Debian/Devuan, the only custom package is dellardos-system and it can be found here :
https://github.com/gameblabla/dellardos_source

Everything else are tweaks :
I removed packages like cron, syslog, gvfs, gnome, network manager,getty, dhclient...
All of that s*** is either removed or in getty's case, disabled.

As alternatives, i'm using SpaceFM with udevil, udhcpc, ceni, custom scripts to configure the settings, lxapperance... you name it.
I'm also disabling ttys, leaving only one and that one is using mingetty rather than getty.
It's focused on having a graphical desktop anyway and gettys take up a lot of memory on old computers.

Once i'm done, i build my ISO with bootcd.
On the raspberry pi, that should be even easier, just use dd to copy the sdcard.

There, now you know how DellardOS is built : i wish i could work on something more ambitous like Sabotage
but still sticking with Xorg.

I will work on a Raspberry Pi 3 image once i figure out VC4 on it.

garvalf

Cool. We need fewer systemd (or more systemd-free) distributions in the world!
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ fr, TI-82
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...

gameblabla

Quote from: garvalf on January 13, 2017, 09:55:20 PM
Cool. We need fewer systemd (or more systemd-free) distributions in the world!
Let's put an end to this monstrosity together !
KILL IT WITH FIRE

gameblabla

Actually, no. Systemd wins the war
:(

I have decided to discontinue DellardOS.
Custom distros are no longer that popular anyway as most
will either stick with Arch and suck a lot of systemd**** or for the very few of them,
use something like Devuan.
Then there's Android, which doesn't use systemd lel

Anyways, it's dead now