Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

CRL86 - a Programming Puzzle Game

Started by anotak, April 20, 2016, 12:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anotak

https://anotak.itch.io/crl86

Hi,
I made this assembly programming puzzle game (slightly inspired by TIS100) in 10 days for LOWREZJAM 2016. Ivoah told me people here would be interested in this game, so I decided to come here and post it. I really hope anyone that tries it will enjoy it!

- anotak

Ivoah

Quote from: anotak on April 20, 2016, 12:31:40 AM
[snip]
Hi,
I made this assembly programming puzzle game (slightly inspired by TIS100) in 10 days for LOWREZJAM 2016. Ivoah told me people here would be interested in this game, so I decided to come here and post it. I really hope anyone that tries it will enjoy it!

- anotak
Heya, welcome to CodeWalrus! This really looks awesome, and I can't wait until I have a good amount of time to really look at it and solve a few puzzles.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Heya anotak and welcome to the forums. Actually I saw this on Twitter the other day but I didn't have time to investigate about what it is. At first, I thought this was a Lua game made with PICO-8 fantasy console because of the resolution and graphics.

Could you explain in more details how to play this game and what is the goal for those who cannot download it yet? I definitively like the layout and the old-school feel it has, and would definitively like to try it out. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Well that looks pretty interesting, gotta try that out. Also welcome in here!
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Ivoah

I also like how you put a unique spin on TIS-100's spacial programming aspect.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Strontium

Oh man, I love programming puzzle games. I'll try it out tomorrow, since I was just about to go to bed :p Is there any documentation on the language anywhere? Or is everything explained in game?
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

Ivoah

Quote from: Strontium on April 20, 2016, 05:13:45 AM
Oh man, I love programming puzzle games. I'll try it out tomorrow, since I was just about to go to bed :p Is there any documentation on the language anywhere? Or is everything explained in game?
There's a txt file inside the zip download that explains things.

anotak

thanks for the replies!
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 20, 2016, 12:37:26 AM
Could you explain in more details how to play this game and what is the goal for those who cannot download it yet? I definitively like the layout and the old-school feel it has, and would definitively like to try it out. :)
This is from the text file:
"The top square is the executable memory, this is your program that you are editing on the text column on the right.
The bottom square is the data memory. The amount of red in each pixel is the current value (also shown in the outputs on the top right). The amount of blue is the target data, so to complete the puzzle you will need to make each be equally blue and red (magenta). The CUR / PRV indicators show blue/red memory at the current/previous spots. You need to make the S=T at every byte. When you successfully complete a puzzle, a window will pop up."

Quote from: Strontium on April 20, 2016, 05:13:45 AM
Yes, there is a lengthy manual.txt included in the download.

Dream of Omnimaga

Does it mean that I have to learn an entire programming language in order to play the game? O.O That might delay my testing of the game quite a bit if that's the case. :P Regardless, this game looks very elaborate as a programming game and you did a nice job. I like the pixel puzzle idea too.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

anotak

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 20, 2016, 06:19:35 AM
Does it mean that I have to learn an entire programming language in order to play the game? O.O That might delay my testing of the game quite a bit if that's the case. :P Regardless, this game looks very elaborate as a programming game and you did a nice job. I like the pixel puzzle idea too.
Not quite, most of the puzzles only use a small subset of it. And even then the language is small low-level building blocks, the complication comes from putting it all together.

Dream of Omnimaga

Phew, I was scared a bit, lol. I mean, it's a good thing to learn new languages if we plan to use them, but I tend to have a very hard time learning anything lower level than TI-BASIC and HP PPL.

Also, a few years ago, Builderboy2005 released LightBot for the TI-83+ and last Summer Scipi showed me TIS-100 from Steam, which are both programming-related, but LightBot doesn't involve programming languages but rather a robotic-related theme, where you must program a robot to light up all the tiles in each level. Those games can be pretty fun once you figure them out. :D

anotak

You might still find it difficult, I don't know, but would you lose much if you tried it? It's free after all, haha.
I hope you have fun either way.

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...