Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Best external memory to start my Linux distro on

Started by Ephraim Becker, February 09, 2016, 07:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ephraim Becker

I had a 64GB 2.0 USB flash drive and I tried reformatting the flash drive to the ext4 file system to put Arch Linux which i'm going to build my distro on. Unfortunately, the flash drive went through a lot of reads\writes due to a lot of errors during partitioning and it's no longer detected by any computer. Is there any other external storage to put Arch Linux on to start work on my Linux distro that doesn't wear out as much as my 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive? Which external storage should I go with? Is a Solid State Drive or Hard Disk Drive any better?
  • Calculators owned: TI 84 Plus, TI 84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI 84 Plus CE, Casio FX-9750 GII
I have Aspergers Syndrome

Travis

What did you use to reformat it? Was this within a Linux system (this is the best place to do this, I think). Unless the stick was really cheap or defective, I wouldn't expect it break that easily. If you're saying it isn't recognized in Windows, this is probably because you formatted it as ext4, which Windows won't recognize because it doesn't support ext4. Same if you have a partitioning problem. It may be that you just need to find a way to repartition it properly and reformat it with a filesystem Windows can recognize (FAT or NTFS). But if you boot up a Linux distro, and you can't partition it there, either, and it worked before, then maybe there is something going on.

Anyway, though, either an external HDD or SDD should work just fine.
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-82, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, TI-89 Titanium, 2 × HP 50g

Ephraim Becker

What I mean by "Windows doesn't recognize it" is that the light on the flash drive doesn't turn on and the computer makes it like the flash drive is not inserted
  • Calculators owned: TI 84 Plus, TI 84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI 84 Plus CE, Casio FX-9750 GII

Travis

Just to be absolutely sure, did you try rebooting first just to make sure there isn't some glitch happening?
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-82, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, TI-89 Titanium, 2 × HP 50g

Ephraim Becker

Quote from: Travis on February 09, 2016, 08:07:55 PM
Just to be absolutely sure, did you try rebooting first just to make sure there isn't some glitch happening?
Yes

Yuki

If you're on a Linux system (such as a live CD), you can definitely check with GParted or the Terminal if it's still there, there's many ways to do that. On Windows, the best thing you can do is the system asking you to format it after you inserted your drive.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Ephraim Becker

Quote from: Juju on February 09, 2016, 08:14:33 PM
If you're on a Linux system (such as a live CD), you can definitely check with GParted or the Terminal if it's still there, there's many ways to do that. On Windows, the best thing you can do is the system asking you to format it after you inserted your drive.
The flash drive is finished. The light doesn't turn on. Nothing. It's now a garbage flash drive. I want to know what external storage device is better for putting Arch Linux on.

Travis

I'd probably go with an external HDD, then. I don't have any personal experience yet with SDDs, though a decent one shouldn't be a problem. HDDs are cheaper, though.

Yuki

USB drive isn't bad to boot on, neither is an external hard drive (one on USB 3 is the best), maybe even a SD card (that one isn't the best at all), right now I'm using PXE for booting, which is kind of tricky to configure, but it works pretty good.

My router (which as OpenWRT on it) has a TFTP server that serves an iPXE image (with the DHCP server telling its filename and where to download it), my computer boots on its network card, which loads that image (actually you can just add it to your computer's bootloader, it would still work), from there I can download a kernel and initramfs from my server and boot on it and mount a remote NFS drive as the root. Everything on my setup is stocked on another computer and none of it locally, so theorically I can boot on my Arch Linux installation from anywhere on my home network, provided it's wired to my router.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Ephraim Becker

Should I go with a Solid State Drive or a Hard Disk Drive?

Travis

Personally, I'd say use whichever you have lying around. Or flip a coin. It's not likely to make a big difference in the long run for what you're doing.

Dream of Omnimaga

SSD is faster for OS installs, but more expensive. You could store the OS and softwares on a SSD and your music, songs, random files on an hard drive maybe.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

I wouldn't put arch on an external drive at all. Just install it over your current windows, cuz you don't need windows :trollface:
ceci n'est pas une signature