Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

nKaruga, PC demake of Ikaruga (ported from TI-Nspire)

Started by matrefeytontias, September 15, 2015, 05:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

OMG that looks even more matrefaywesome O.O. This program is in the news pending queue but I didn't have time to write it yet and I lost the download link. >.<

I wonder if a flying Walrii easter egg would be cool? :P (eg if the player types w a l r i i letters in-game, it would do like when you type /walrii in WalrusIRC)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

matrefeytontias

Bump !

nKaruga v0.2.0 is out ! It features the full second level, up to the boss battle, which isn't implemented yet : http://gamejolt.com/games/nkaruga-2d-ikaruga-demake/92026

Also, great news : 100% of the final game's mechanics have been implemented ! That means that all of what is left to do will be relevant to AI writing, level design and graphics. Isn't that nice ?

But that means I need help more than ever ! If you want to help me with sprites, make sure to let me know.

DJ : easter eggs will be relevant when the game is done. Until then, I'll just focus on the important parts.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+.fr, TI-Nspire CAS prototype, TI-84+ CSE, TI-Nspire CX
My TI games (some got their own article on non-calc websites !) : http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/authors/112/11202.html

My moozik (100% free metal) : http://www.soundcloud.com/matrefeytontias

Dream of Omnimaga

Awesome! I didn't see this until now because I was kinda sick. I'll try the new version soon. Glad to hear that the game mechanics  were completed by the way. :)

Sprite requests should go in the drawing and animation board, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Sounds fun. Good luck finishing it. I can't really help you with the sprites though. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

On a side note @matrefeytontias , I'm still a bit sad that on the Gamejolt file description page, there is not even a single mention about how the game is a port from the TI-Nspire calculator nor any link to the original. There isn't even the word "calculator" nor "TI-Nspire" there (I did CTRL+F to search). D: It would give calculators more publicity outside the community and not make them look irrelevant in the history of this project. :P

matrefeytontias

I plan to do that when I'm done cleaning up the description. It's already too much of a mess :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+.fr, TI-Nspire CAS prototype, TI-84+ CSE, TI-Nspire CX
My TI games (some got their own article on non-calc websites !) : http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/authors/112/11202.html

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok good to hear. :) I was a bit worried that calculators were thrown out of the window there. :P

Ivoah

Is this project open source or could you send me the source, I'd like to port it to the GBA (with your permission of course)
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Dream of Omnimaga

It probably depends how much resource-intensive the Nspire version was. If the Nspire CX CPU was maxed out at 232 MHz during gameplay then the 16.78 MHz GBA will probably have a very hard time running it. But you could simply rewrite parts of the game from scratch instead of doing a straight port. Doesn't the GBA have some mappers and stuff to make it easier to make 2D tilemap games with parallax backgrounds?

Ivoah

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 31, 2015, 03:16:10 AM
It probably depends how much resource-intensive the Nspire version was. If the Nspire CX CPU was maxed out at 232 MHz during gameplay then the 16.78 MHz GBA will probably have a very hard time running it. But you could simply rewrite parts of the game from scratch instead of doing a straight port. Doesn't the GBA have some mappers and stuff to make it easier to make 2D tilemap games with parallax backgrounds?

Yes, the GBA has hardware accelerated backgrounds and sprites and stuff, so that should greatly help with speed. I've seen much more advanced games running on the GBA, so it should probably be able to handle it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, hardware acceleration would be your best bet. I was more worried about how much of the game would need to be rewritten, especially if neither nSDL nor n2DLib are available for the GBA.

matrefeytontias

Bump !

I've been awfully busy with school these days, as exams (contests really) are coming up in a couple of months. It's stressing the s*** out of me, so I'm taking some time to relax and work on nKaruga.

And I'm glad to say it's paying off, as I now have a new and independent system menu - with menu sounds in it ! Also, the biggest announcement is that level 1 now has original music ! My friend blvtch (on Youtube and Steam, RGBMusic on Facebook, check him out he does chiptune) is working on the music for the game, which will consist in chiptune rewrites of musics from the original game. Isn't that great ?

Anyhow, you can test the private build here : http://www.mirari.fr/4c9Q

Share your thoughts by the way, and the request for sprites still holds.

EDIT : woops, looks like I forgot to include the audio. One day I'll figure out how to embed them directly in the game so that I have a standalone executable. Fixed, same link.

Dream of Omnimaga

Darn, I hope your school schedule gets less hectic next semester. >.< I would hate never having free time.

Also I didn't have time to try this new version yet but I'm glad there is now sound. I'll try it soon :)

EDIT: Ok I tried it and I like the result. I think some levels should have faster music like in Touhou or some of the Japanese stuff, though :)

Dudeman313

• Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

I think matref quit calc stuff and moved to PC programming. SOmeone else would have to do it. I wonder how hard it would be to port the game, though, considering the CE speed and RAM is much inferior to the Nspire...