Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Sorcery of Uvutu Closed Beta (SPOILERS)

Started by 123outerme, December 28, 2015, 10:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123outerme

Warning: Discussion of beta features, maps, etc. may include SPOILERS. Proceed at your own caution.

- Signing Up
If you would like to sign up for the closed beta, please PM me to avoid cluttering the topic. I won't accept many testers, to avoid many cooks in one kitchen, as well as to contain possible spoilers. If I accept you, you will be PM'd a link to the newest beta whenever they are released, as well as a save file editing program, and instructions.
As you will be able to modify your save file and experience a lot of content in a short time, I ask that if you would want to experience the game free from beta duties, that you not sign up. Other than that, go for it!

- Beta Information
As for what beta testers will be testing, I say just playtesting. If you see a possible bug, try to replicate it, and report it. If it is unreplicatable, report it anyways but make sure you specify that it's unreplicatable. Worlds 1 and 2 have been thoroughly tested. World 3 has been tested a bit, and World 4 hasn't been tested at all.

- Known Issues
*Progression is mostly linear
*Little amounts of story
*Not really an issue but I have to implement DJ Omnimaga's battle background code.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Unicorn

First thing: I suggest releasing the main program in archive rather than ram, as it is impossible to transfer everything to ram.

Also, when leveling up speed, there is a syntax error.

real(6,1,50,70,17,A(W=1)100fPart(A)(W=2)+{here},1
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Unicorn on December 28, 2015, 11:23:48 PM
First thing: I suggest releasing the main program in archive rather than ram, as it is impossible to transfer everything to ram.

It's not an issue in TI-Connect 1.6.1 because it sends groups grouped and lets you choose, but I don't think TI-Connect Ce has those options. I could be wrong, though.

Also I'm glad that a beta is out. I hope you don't give up @123outerme :3=
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: Unicorn on December 28, 2015, 11:23:48 PM

I suppose that's possible if I send everything to the correct location on Wabbit then redownload it, but it's a lot of work and I already put the correct locations in the readme.
Also thanks, a silly mistake on my part. I'll fix it and update the download.
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 28, 2015, 11:52:17 PM
It's not an issue in TI-Connect 1.6.1 because it sends groups grouped and lets you choose, but I don't think TI-Connect Ce has those options. I could be wrong, though.

Also I'm glad that a beta is out. I hope you don't give up @123outerme :3=
Thanks! It's not that I think I'll give up, I'm just having a harder time wanting to grind out maps. Having a beta out helps with that.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I got the syntax error too when leveling up.

Also, for the sake of consistency, during battles you should make both command screens show ^, v, < and > instead of having one of them show text and the other symbols. Or you could make both show text.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 29, 2015, 08:51:12 PM
Yeah I got the syntax error too when leveling up.

Also, for the sake of consistency, during battles you should make both command screens show ^, v, < and > instead of having one of them show text and the other symbols. Or you could make both show text.
The only reason I don't is that Clear can't be expressed with symbols. But if you think that would make it more intuitive, I'll go ahead and change that. BTW the fix is to just delete the +. It will work as intended.
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 29, 2015, 10:49:50 PM
I'M ok with 2 appvars. I definitively need to investigate one day about why map data grows this large, though.

Is there a world map, by the way? I didn't get very far in the beta because of the ERR:SYNTAX bug when leveling up. Also, I was using a real calculator, which has a sticky down arrow button problem.
The way to get between worlds is an item the first boss drops, and is upgraded by every boss after that. I updated the build, and it uses the same link, so just redownload it. I'll add the battle menu suggestion in the next build.

Edit: I also forgot to mention, and thought this would be a good place to put this, but world 4 only has 2 maps. That's intentional and I will create more.

Dream of Omnimaga

Can we go backwards between worlds, though? That was one issue I had with Dragonsglid: We couldn't go back to previous worlds, such as to complete special quests or find items needed for world 7, for example, that we couldn't get due to a locked chest or something.

Also if clear lenght is an issue, then I guess you could just say CLR or change everything to Up, Down, Left, right.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 30, 2015, 05:41:12 AM
Can we go backwards between worlds, though? That was one issue I had with Dragonsglid: We couldn't go back to previous worlds, such as to complete special quests or find items needed for world 7, for example, that we couldn't get due to a locked chest or something.

Also if clear lenght is an issue, then I guess you could just say CLR or change everything to Up, Down, Left, right.
Yeah, you can go backwards as well as forwards. The item, when used, brings up a menu with all of the worlds you're able to visit, and pressing 2nd on one will teleport you to it. It's a non-consumable as well.

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah, that's a nice way to travel then. Just make sure the items are named accordingly, to make them sound like items that could be used to warp.

I also have three suggestions, the first one which have been suggested before, though:

1) Add a SAVE + CONTINUE option, so that we don't have to quit then restart the game every three minute or so (which is about how often I save)

2) When opening a treasure chest, show an alert box saying what item you just got.

3) Make menus so that selection is done this way:

Loop Start
code
Repeat until key is pressed
Getkey
End
code
End

Instead of this:

Loop Start
code
Getkey
code
End

Otherwise, it takes a long while for keypresses to register inside menus, often resulting into the cursor moving one option too far and selecting the wrong one by mistake.

Bug reports:

1) IN the Dragon's Den, when I reached LV 6, I had -4 experience left in the stats menu. I also saw one instance after leveling up from 10 to 15 where I had -989 gold. Both negative amounts.

2) Also another bug is that I am unable to upgrade my PTS. When I try to do so, it does nothing. I can only upgrade speed and attack.

3) Also, when you die then restart at the village, accessing the menu will cause a DOMAIN error on real(6,1,64-8int(log(H)),26,0,H,0

4) Also sometimes, enemies in dungeon 2 and 3 gives around 5-15 experience instead of 30, so it ends up taking less time leveling up in Plain Plains than the mine.

5) Boss 3 also doesn't work. It just triggers a regular battle, so I am unable to progress further than the mine.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 31, 2015, 07:11:53 AM
Aah, that's a nice way to travel then. Just make sure the items are named accordingly, to make them sound like items that could be used to warp.

I also have three suggestions, the first one which have been suggested before, though:

1) Add a SAVE + CONTINUE option, so that we don't have to quit then restart the game every three minute or so (which is about how often I save)

2) When opening a treasure chest, show an alert box saying what item you just got.

3) Make menus so that selection is done this way:

Loop Start
code
Repeat until key is pressed
Getkey
End
code
End

Instead of this:

Loop Start
code
Getkey
code
End

Otherwise, it takes a long while for keypresses to register inside menus, often resulting into the cursor moving one option too far and selecting the wrong one by mistake.

Bug reports:

1) IN the Dragon's Den, when I reached LV 6, I had -4 experience left in the stats menu. I also saw one instance after leveling up from 10 to 15 where I had -989 gold. Both negative amounts.

2) Also another bug is that I am unable to upgrade my PTS. When I try to do so, it does nothing. I can only upgrade speed and attack.

3) Also, when you die then restart at the village, accessing the menu will cause a DOMAIN error on real(6,1,64-8int(log(H)),26,0,H,0

4) Also sometimes, enemies in dungeon 2 and 3 gives around 5-15 experience instead of 30, so it ends up taking less time leveling up in Plain Plains than the mine.

5) Boss 3 also doesn't work. It just triggers a regular battle, so I am unable to progress further than the mine.
Suggestions:
1. I will try again, but I'm not sure if it'll work.
2. I can do that, thanks!
3. I can do that, too.

Bugs:
1. I have noticed some weird stuff with all that, I'll check into that.
2. The PTS option isn't a stat, it only shows you how many upgrade points you have to spend. I'll try to make that more clear.
3. That's because you have 0 HP. I thought I made it set your HP to 1, but I guess not. I'll fix it.
4. I made a change to the Exp system and I guess I didn't test it all the way. Part of the reason is that Exp is based on the difference between your level and your enemy's. I'll check and fix that now.
5. I'll fix that now.

I'll let you all know when I've uploaded the fixes.

123outerme

(The beta is uploaded. I put it in chat yesterday, not sure if anyone saw it, but I'm letting you know now)

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I see about exp and pts. For pts, you could maybe rename PTS to SP, AP or ABP? (Skills/abiluty points)

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 02, 2016, 04:56:38 PM
Ah I see about exp and pts. For pts, you could maybe rename PTS to SP, AP or ABP? (Skills/abiluty points)
Maybe. What I did was instead of having it
ATK:
SPD:
PTS:
I changed PTS: to PTS=, which would clue you in that it's not an upgradable skill. Same goes for the Stats menu.

123outerme

Update:
I noticed the fix I provided for that line that was producing errors actually doesn't work properly, so I'm gonna fix that.
Also, just so I remember, I'm going to put this here. I'm going to lower the difficulty curve (specifically, enemy attack damage) because right now it's brutal. It could be an option but I'm too lazy to bother. Also, I know why that bug with the "invisible" item works, because I don't update the quick-reference item list variable I use, when I use an item. I'll fix that too. But probably not soon because if you saw my post on the main topic, you'll probably know why I won't be around.

Dream of Omnimaga

I hope this update nor your post weren't your last in a while (especially considering CW staff were looking to expand their Elite Coders base, not remove Sorcery of Uvutu forums) >.< but if it isn't then I guess lowering the difficulty curve would be nice for later stages, especially the 3rd. I didn't have any issue with the first, but I had the experience bug, so perhaps things would be easier without the bug.