Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Old Calculator Games

Started by GuyInFreezer, January 21, 2016, 07:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4ooo

IMO Grand turisimo is the best racing game ever. I have GT4 and GT3 on the playstation 2. (Other then Big Rigs if course :P )

Dream of Omnimaga

I loved Gran Turismo but for some reasons I never got used much to controls in 2D top-down view racing games. In some of those, you turn way too fast and you can't see ahead of you. But Gran Turismo was still a classic. If someone likes that type of racing games but has a 84+ then he might like MegaCar and TinyCarZ. Both have external levels IIRC.

GlassCars was also another interesting 83 racing game that was basically the earliest example of 3D wireframe graphics on the 83/83+ series. And there's Lotus Turbo Challenge which is pseudo-3D and has tunnels/weather effects.

My favorite was F-Zero 68K, though. I wish the 84+ version was completed.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Now shooters!

I loved DevRays, Firetrack, and Happy Phoenix(I was too lazy to try with the actual one).
I also enjoyed Joe P's Phantom Star.
IkarugaX was good, but when I had my TI-84+, I couldn't go very long without clearing my RAM.
CaDan demo was awesome! I wish I could play all these (especially CaDan and IkarugaX) on my CE.
I already have Calcuzap, but it gets boring after being destroyed just before reaching Lvl 19 over and over again.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh wow Devrays was pretty cool, same for Firetrack. The others were cool as well :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

I loved DevRays, but I could never get past level 6. It'd look great in color. Firetrack was based off a color game, but I don't like the original graphics.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually, sometimes, when you take colored graphics, convert them to monochrome/grayscale then convert them back to color graphics, it can give nice results. I did that with Reuben monsters once, which were mostly sprites from old Final Fantasy games.

aetios

DevRays was awesome. It's based on R-Type,(one of) the toughest game(s) in video game history.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dudeman313

I didn't know that. All I knew was that it's awesome!

And if Firetrack will look good converted to color, it should be done. It's just that I haven't even started to learn any CE supported languages yet, and this wouldn't be ideal for a first project.
The answer is "Sure."

aetios

Quote from: Dudeman313 on February 16, 2016, 11:31:37 AM
I didn't know that. All I knew was that it's awesome!

And if Firetrack will look good converted to color, it should be done. It's just that I haven't even started to learn any CE supported languages yet, and this wouldn't be ideal for a first project.
Firetrack huh. Wasn't that written by benryves? I played that game a bunch too. I wonder where benryves went off to....

Dudeman313

Yes, it was by ben ryves. The released verSion on ticalc.org was finished in 2004. I've only seen him on Maxcoderz, which is not very active anymore.
The answer is "Sure."

aetios

Another really cool (but slightly old! ) calc game is Uncle Worm for the 84+ series.

Dudeman313

As for incomplete projects, there's always @tr1p1ea 's sadly lost Super Mario and the Elemental Crystal, and that one Mario game on MaxCoderz that never got finished either.
The source and game can be found here.
The answer is "Sure."

Yuki

Quote from: c4ooo on February 01, 2016, 08:31:45 PM
IMO Grand turisimo is the best racing game ever. I have GT4 and GT3 on the playstation 2. (Other then Big Rigs if course :P )
I should plug this PS1 in and play some GT2.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

tr1p1ea

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 03, 2016, 10:31:17 PM
As for incomplete projects, there's always @tr1p1ea 's sadly lost Super Mario and the Elemental Crystal, and that one Mario game on MaxCoderz that never got finished either.
The source and game can be found here.

yes very sad :(.

There is a small old (and possibly buggy) demo of the Mario game here ... a shame that it doesnt have much in it :S:

http://tr1p1ea.net/files/downloads/Mario_tr1p1ea.8xk

Dudeman313

Maybe someday when I actually learn to code instead of just hanging around the awesome people who can and/or aren't too lazy to learn, I'll revive it for color calculators. ;D No promises, though.  :-\
The answer is "Sure."