Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

WalrusRPG - a cross-platform J-RPG engine

Started by novenary, November 17, 2014, 07:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unicorn

But it would need good graphics. Maybe a minecraft mod...
anyways, back on topic.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Note for self : don't use C++'s streams. TO just show camera's coords, this makes the binary size jumps from 68 kB to a whopping 1MB because I wanted to do

ostringstream flux;
flux << "X: " << camera.get_x() << "  Y: " << camera.get_y();
print_string(flux.str().c_str(), 0, 8);

But with sprintf, I just got only to 100KB. Welp...

Edit : Added support for tilesets from different sizes. The current builds are built with a 24*24 and a 16*16 tileset and respective maps to show how the map engine stills goes smoothly with that.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Unicorn on May 10, 2015, 06:58:00 AM
Quote from: Streetwalrus on May 10, 2015, 06:52:33 AM
Yeah, games aren't designed to be hacked or glitched in the first place. :P

Hmmm...
Now i want to make a game that the purpose is to glitch/hack it. :P
Maybe Streetwalrus could make WalrusRPG as an action RPG but where every NPC and enemy acts like if they were tool-assisted and performed thoughts and actions frame by frame instead of in real-time. There could be plenty of references to popular TASes on Youtube/TASVideos such as glitch abuse. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Okay, we did olots of progress. We got rid off of C++'s STL to use a tiny one (aptly named tinystl) and we're using zlib exec compression. Thus we only have now to transfer a 65KB program instead of a 1MB one! \o/

Dream of Omnimaga

Awesome to hear. :D Also 1 MB would fill the calc very fast for 3.9 users O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yeah, even though Street aims only the CX, being able to run it on legacy nspires could be cool. We'll probably use conditionnal compilation to build two versions to help size diwn the legacy builds and improve lisibiliy (because, dang, gray on gray doesn't help)

novenary

Cross compatibility can be done with 100% runtime stuff. The main obstacle would be RAM usage, so we'll see how it goes. The uncompressed executable + all the runtime data need to fit in the low amount of free ram that the monochrome and CM calcs have.

Dream of Omnimaga

I wonder if old Nspires can be downgraded from OS 3.9? Because I doubt an RPG will run on those calcs if they run OS 3.9. 3.9 leaves them about 2-3 MB of memory at most because it's so large, so you would have to advise people to downgrade to 3.1 or 3.6, if possible.

novenary

2-3MB of ram or flash ? And on the classic or CX ? We're primarily targeting the CX which should have plenty of memory.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Quote from: Streetwalrus on May 14, 2015, 09:17:40 AM
Cross compatibility can be done with 100% runtime stuff.

Yeah, like this we will have a bloated  binary with both functions for the legacy nspire? Nah, it's not really a good idea (but well, the legacy having more memroy, I would have also chosen this option).

novenary

That's true. The necessary code to have it work on both calcs isn't much tho, just a different timer and LCD driver so far. The keypad is already handled by libndls.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on May 15, 2015, 02:58:33 PM
2-3MB of ram or flash ? And on the classic or CX ? We're primarily targeting the CX which should have plenty of memory.
Yeah I meant the classic ones. OS 3.9 is so large that on classic models it only leaves about 2-3 MB of user RAM and archive. This is why OS 4.0 is CX-only, as it no longer fits on grayscale models. I was pointing out, because if you decide to make WalrusRPG compatible with them as suggested above, then you would probably need to put a warning in the readme suggesting to downgrade.

novenary

For RAM it's been this way for ages. For flash it's unexpected but either was gonna kill portability at one point. Unless we do dynamic memory management right.

Dream of Omnimaga

I thought that back in the days we had like 17 MB of free RAM with OS 2.1 and stuff? ??? And yeah personally you should worry about getting the engine and game to run on the CX. After all, the grayscale models were discontinued over 4 years ago so game popularity on them will most likely be like on the TI-82 and 86 soon.

Snektron

Is it like samsung devices where every update and new phone has more and more bloatware?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...