Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Your post/coding Milestones!

Started by Unicorn, May 01, 2015, 05:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Nah Omni's record was actually 2952, dating back in December 2012. It was caused by Portal Prelude release and making Reddit front page as a result. It was downloaded like 8000 times in a week IIRC.

Their previous record was 1870 or so in late 2010 when the Casio PRIZM (the first ever backlit color screen calculator) was leaked and Omni made Slashdot headlines. Even nDoom and Super Smash Bros Open never came close to beat those records, so I guess it's hit and miss and probably depends of how popular those big blog sites are at the time (eg when Portal Prelude came out it was Reddit)

I think the highest by far was Revsoft (Zelda) or Cemetech (many hardware projects), though. It was over 1000, but back then their online list was set to a 5 minutes timespan instead of 30, so it was in fact 6000.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Snektron

wow that are quite the numbers O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Yuki

Yeah, the infamous so called Slashdot effect, where a small site gets mentioned on a high-traffic site and the small site can't handle all the traffic from the bigger site. Omnimaga had this phenomenon at least twice.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

alexgt

Wow, I think that Ti-84/83's do well because most everyone has one and there are a lot of people that browse forums looking for cool games (that was what I did :P)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

DarkestEx

• Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

alexgt

^ Cool :)

just realized I am a super user now O.O

Unicorn

you can also make text above your avatar, look for it in the forum profile option.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Yuki

Yep. Like mine, it's my real name. Well, fake real name. Real fake name? It's not my real name, anyway.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Unicorn

Is there a max amount of characters? If not... well....
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Yuki

Well, I bet it shouldn't be ridiculous. Probably 2-3 lines max.

EDIT: Yeah, about 7 lines. Anyway, try to not put too much stuff in there. :P

If you're wondering the line I've put is:
"aka Yuki Kagayaki, also this is a super long title I wanted to check if there's actually a limit that would be pretty ridiculous if there was none well you don't know until you try eh so I'mma tryin' this thing out to see for myself lol what a ridiculous title I could write some stuff here for hours and not finish my sentence I could talk about my life if I want but I guess it could disrupt the sidebar oh well well I just wanted to say hi my name is Yuki Kagayaki and I'm a pony."
and it cut at "for myself lo".
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Unicorn

whew, quite a run on. Kerm would go crazy.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

Quote from: alexgt on June 01, 2015, 01:45:55 AM
^ Cool :)

just realized I am a super user now O.O

does that mean you can now
algexgt@coolserver:~# alias cing=sudo
algexgt@coolserver:~# cing reboot
? :trollface:

alexgt

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Juju on May 31, 2015, 01:29:30 AM
Yeah, the infamous so called Slashdot effect, where a small site gets mentioned on a high-traffic site and the small site can't handle all the traffic from the bigger site. Omnimaga had this phenomenon at least twice.
The Slashdot effect is nowhere as strong as back in the days, though. Nowadays you would get 300 guests at once at most, if not less. It really has to be Reddit or an even more popular site where it's easy to make the front page with something that looks notable.
Quote from: alexgt on June 02, 2015, 12:59:25 AM
^?
I think what Cumred meant is if you now have CW admin powers and delete the site or reboot the server, or at least I think (I don't know much about Linux) :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Snektron

Super User on linux is like admin on windows. If you don't have default superuser enabled but you are in fact a superuser, you
have to type "sudo" before every command that requires super user (like starting a program with admin powers on windows)
the command alias sudo=cing makes 'cing' do the same as 'sudo'
So if you really want the computer to reboot, you can type "cing reboot", which will do the same as "sudo reboot"