Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Wireless Messaging between two Ti-84 Calculators

Started by brwn.b0i, January 28, 2024, 07:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brwn.b0i

I'm currently working on a project where I make two calc ti84+ wirelessly message each other using a 2x Arduino Uno and a 2x nrf24l01 module. i connected the calc to my arduino using a 2.5mm jack. i used the Articl library, and it seems to work for sending characters from Arduino to a calc. i have no idea how to receive it from the calc. my idea is to get the sending and recieving from the serial monitor and calc achieved. if that is working, then i replicate this on another TI84+ calc and then use the nrf24l01 to allow both calculators to communicate wirelessly. i'm really bad at coding and don't have much experience with TI calculators. i need someone to help me code the Arduino and TI 84 calculators for this project. ty!

Yuki

Yeah, from what I remember it's not easy for a calc to communicate with an Arduino due to timing issues and the CPU being barely powerful enough for fast serial communications, I'd advise trying with one Arduino first at low speeds with the build-in Serial library (iirc you can plug the TX and RX pins directly on the 2.5mm jack), and on the calc itself use a telnet terminal such as this one: https://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/141/14141.html
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

brwn.b0i

Do you know any other way to communicate without telnet terminal? Because I don't have access to a unix shell and I don't know how to use it. It also seems like an overkill for my purpose.

Yuki

Well, it's called Telnet but it's pretty much a serial monitor on the calc side like the one that comes with the Arduino IDE, no unix shell needed. It was designed for use with one but you don't really need one.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here