Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Is the TI community over?

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, September 22, 2015, 03:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Average activity on CW is worse than it was in September 2014 on Omni and a massive amount of its core userbase already ditched calcs, traffic is stagnating despite september normally being when people buy new calcs for school, and TI-Planet recently announced that in 2016, France government is gonna instate new school programs that makes even less place for TI calcs (perhaps eliminate them entirely).

Has the TI community really come to an end this time, unlike in 2008?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Hayleia

Well, a lot of people are interested in the 83PCE on TI Planet, so I guess the community isn't dead if it can take that turn.
Of course, "leaders" to help take that turn, such as a Doors CS for CE, or Axe for CE would help a lot...

novenary

There will always be some interest even if minimal. That said, we aren't getting the usual stream of September newcomers because we're still too hard to find via Google compared to  and Cemetech.
As Hayleia said, Axe, Doors CS and xLib would help interest in the CE. The monochrome models are going to lose popularity but for the new calcs to gain interest, they need to be attractive and pure BASIC and ASM aren't going to cut it.

Yuki

That's right, we need something good about the CE.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on September 22, 2015, 04:02:53 PM
There will always be some interest even if minimal. That said, we aren't getting the usual stream of September newcomers because we're still too hard to find via Google compared to  and Cemetech.
As Hayleia said, Axe, Doors CS and xLib would help interest in the CE. The monochrome models are going to lose popularity but for the new calcs to gain interest, they need to be attractive and pure BASIC and ASM aren't going to cut it.
The problem is that with how Google works now, it's gonna take 4 years before we finally get a sustainable amounts of traffic to let people find us. By that time most people will ve gone.

Anyway if we drop to 500 posts in January (which seems likely at this rate) and people we have remains completely indifferent to the future of the forums until then then we should wevjust shut the site down entirely?

And ticalc doesn't help by not posting news anymore. They're the site TI users find first, and with the last news dating back in March they might think the community is already done. The last community lulls occurred while ticalc.org was understaffed and featuring no program for months. But no one can do anything about it, except ticalc themselves (by hiring)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p4nix

The problems about calcs in general is that people have 'better things' to do nowadays I guess. If I show things like 'Bad Apple' on calculator to my classmates they are like: 'Why does someone wanna do that, you have a smartphone for that stuff.'... So let's change the society again and force people to get ASM-h4ck3rz :)
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah the smartphone mentality doesn't help. The issue is that smartphones don't have a built in language as easy to start with as TI-BASIC. Not only this leads to less TI programmers, but also this leads to fewer programmers for non-calc platforms. Many people find the gap too big when trying to start with C/Java/Lua instead of TI-83+ Basic. Even 89/Nspire Basic aren't very newbie-friendly, same for HP PPL.

* DJ Omnimaga pokes @Cumred_Snektron about his :walrii: programming language

Snektron

Yes yes, i'm still thinking about it. Plus i have it very busy with school :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

DarkestEx

Well its true. As I already stated earlier I left calc development too.
But this is still an awesome site and a great community. I don't plan leaving anytime soon ;)
Our government forced us to ditch TI calcs (and any programmable calculators at all) and I lost my interest in them some time ago too.

But I guess as the new school year started, many members are just busier and have less time they can spend here, what should be the reason for the low activity.

Also the development of the microcat should hopefully if it has any success boost this site and give it a big project and atleast 50 new users.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

SiphonicSugar

I kind of already knew that something like this was going to happen.  There seemed to always be so much action, that I all missed (because I got in the community in 2013).  We need a breakthrough idea or something like what others have already said.  Axe for the CE, Grammer!  Everything!  Someone needs to make some breakthrough thing!  It needs to be something that everyone would want on their calculator!  That would attract attention!

The fact that the last news article thing was about Pi Day back in March is really depressing!
I'm wondering if I could become a staff member on ticalc.org and become a news editor or something!  :w00t:

Oh yeah, another depressing thing. (Sorry to mention it but I feel like I should) I keep finding topics and threads here and on Omnimaga especially about RPGs that people are going to make.  They all seem like really good ideas, but the creators just drop the idea or something because they have not posted about it in like a year.
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

novenary

Quote from: SiphonicSugar on September 22, 2015, 08:33:14 PM
Oh yeah, another depressing thing. (Sorry to mention it but I feel like I should) I keep finding topics and threads here and on Omnimaga especially about RPGs that people are going to make.  They all seem like really good ideas, but the creators just drop the idea or something because they have not posted about it in like a year.
RPGs are huge projects. People want to make one then they realize that it's no easy task and lose motivation. You need a lot of dedication to be successful.

SiphonicSugar

Yeah, I know. 
One I was really hoping for was Pokemon Amber, and I don't think that came out unless I'm just dumb and can't find anything on it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad

James Oldiges

Amber is dead.  Code was lost and the backups weren't properly done. (Shortcuts were backed up, not files)

SiphonicSugar

I know, I read that topic already.  ;)

DarkestEx

Quote from: James Oldiges on September 22, 2015, 10:46:24 PM
Amber is dead.  Code was lost and the backups weren't properly done. (Shortcuts were backed up, not files)
Wait what?! A programmer who backs up shortcuts O.O

Also in my opinion the TI community is not yet over, but slowly shrinking.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2