Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

General site updates, TODO list and discussion

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 12, 2014, 07:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

That laptop came with Windows 7 and couldn't even run it correctly. It ended up being retired, mom buying another laptop, and I installed Linux so it could be more useful to steal wifi run servers.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

xMarminq_

To minimize costs you could just turn CW into a subreddit  ;)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations

_iPhoenix_

Quote from: xMarminq_ on October 09, 2017, 04:02:02 PM
To minimize costs you could just turn CW into a subreddit  ;)

No. CW is much better off as a forum.
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah right now the plan is to switch to PhpBB 3.2
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

_iPhoenix_

Quote from: xlibman on October 09, 2017, 04:33:04 PM
Yeah right now the plan is to switch to PhpBB 3.2

By the way, how far is that until completion? I kinda want to know what's happening :)

Evolution of my avatar:

Yuki

The big of it is done, there's still a few stuff left so we're at least on par with the old boards and so the data is properly transferred. We're slowly working on it, between other things. So I'm a bit afraid to put any ETA on it yet.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeahwe prefer tonot.set any date in order to avoid disappointments.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

_iPhoenix_

x-post

I just want to say that, despite all initial precautions, I love CW and there are many talented programmers here.

I do have a few observations/suggestions about CW, all of which are constructive criticism.

1) It seems CW has shifted focus away from programming. (Which isn't 100% horrible)
2) It seems that there are less and less people there, which may be related to the first observation.
3) I think the community should be a bit more family-friendly, maybe not 100%, but maybe a subforum for not so family-friendly content that is hidden, like the safe-haven one. (And, you can opt in/out of seeing it)

Don't get me wrong, CW is still an amazing place for art, music, and programming, but I think it could be better.

I have noticed a general trend of negative attitude towards CW going up, and I think it is almost all related to these three things ;)

Just trying to help  :)

Evolution of my avatar:

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah that was why we wanted to add special sub-forums. Hopefully PhpBB3 will have an age-restricted feature for sub-forum permissions.

Right now the randomness section of the forums serves that purpose, but it isn't very clear.

Regarding negative remarks about CW that comes from certain TI community members I will not name, we stopped taking them seriously over 5 years ago, 3 years before CW even existed at all. We discovered with the time that no matter how good we would do, those people would find excuses to criticize us and criticize anything we like. Also, 99% of the criticism about Omnimaga (before the TI-Planet conflict) and CodeWalrus was given by people who were staff or admin at other calculator sites. So we prefer taking into consideration only the feedback from people who voice it directly to us, like you did above, since it is much more likely to be devoid of bias.

As for the family-unfriendly atmosphere, now that Kotu is gone we have more control on it, and while it's here to stay we can definitively split it into specific Discord and forum sections

Yuki

As I always say, anything you do, you'll never make unanimity. That's why many sites like ours exist, all with slightly different opinions and we do our best to please those people whose opinions aligns best with ours. The others can go somewhere else if they want. And of course we take criticism, as long as it's constructive, thank you for that.

We did have a bit of problems with troublemakers lately, but they're mostly gone, so I guess we can go back to the family-friendly site we were before? Well, at least the friendly part, that's the goal.

Well, in any case, we're doing our best.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

I forgot to answer the first points about programming and activity. Part of the reason why CW is more off-topic is  because most founding members quit calcs or programming as a hobby shortly before the site creation. All we wanted was a place to hang out and chill and Omnimaga, where we were before, was no longer considered adequate for us.

DarkestEx

Could these Facebook/Twitter Like buttons be replaced with non-tracking ones like these:
https://sharingbuttons.io

Or possibly have them enableable with a slide switch?
I think others would appreciate this too.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Yuki

Oooh, nice, thanks. We'll put them on when we'll have some time for that.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

I started adding custom icons for each sub-forum. For example, the gaming and game-related project sub-forums now have a gamepad icon and 3D engine boards got cubes

nulledprodigy

I don't know where the new thread button is on mobile but it seems avatar uploading is broken here (renders a broken file in the edit profile page), probably PHP's GD or imagick extensions not being installed on the server being the reason.
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sony Xperia Z5, iPhone SE, PS1 (9002/102) PS2 (50003), GBA SP, some other stuff
Juju is best CW husbando UwU