Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Keyberry Pi - A small, keyboard sized computer

Started by DarkestEx, December 14, 2015, 12:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

Hello, I am working on a project, where I am building a Raspberry Pi Zero into a USB keyboard which has a USB hub builtin.
This gives me more space and also allows me to plug multiple devices except the keyboard into the Pi.
The Pi Zero will sit inside of the keyboards casing and i will add holes and connectors for HDMI and USB power the cord will be cut and wired to the Pi inside the case.
This way i can plug devices into the integrated hub (such as a mouse or a USB stick, WiFi or another Hub) and have a keyboard at the same time.
22nd december is the estimated arrival date of my Pi Zero (which I got for 15 euros). The special rectangle adapters and the keyboard should arrive on the 16th.

This is the keyboard that I will build it into:

I will keep you updated :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

kegwaan

This seems like a good idea  :D I got my RPi a while ago and was planning on using it as an emulator, but I accidentally ordered an SD card for it instead of a microSD card, and since then I've been too lazy to pick one up.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ CSE
"If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid."

alexgt

Awesome idea DarkestEx and the best of luck to you :)
* alexgt unplugs monitor at school and attaches KeyBerry Pi :trollface:
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Yuki

Reminds me of those 80's computers such as the Commodore 64, they were pretty much computers you plug on your TV, most home computers were like this until the IBM PC who changed the game.

Anyway that's a pretty nice project, keep us updated!
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

DarkestEx

Quote from: Juju on December 14, 2015, 06:20:21 AM
Reminds me of those 80's computers such as the Commodore 64, they were pretty much computers you plug on your TV, most home computers were like this until the IBM PC who changed the game.

Yes, that was what I had in mind initially. I will probably put a C64 and ZX Spectrum emulator on it. But I will also use it as a portable Linux machine primarily. It would be cool if I could break the I/O out so that I can control stuff with it.

Should I make a tutorial so that others could clone it?
I would be willing to do so if there is any interest.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Hm it would be cool to see a computer made out of this keyboard. Remember back in the 80's where computers were inside keyboards, like the Commodore 64 and Amiga. Good luck!
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

After some rough estimating, the thick part of the keyboard might be slightly too small in width but I guess nothing that can't be fixed with a dremel by removing some of the inner structure ;)
I am also glad that I ordered angled connectors which should make it possible to fit it without cutting away too much.

alexgt

Quote from: DarkestEx on December 14, 2015, 08:28:26 PM
After some rough estimating, the thick part of the keyboard might be slightly too small in width but I guess nothing that can't be fixed with a dremel by removing some of the inner structure ;)
I am also glad that I ordered angled connectors which should make it possible to fit it without cutting away too much.
or as Jamie Hyneman would say "when in doubt... C4" :P
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Unicorn

Sounds interesting. I wonder if you could intergrate the rpi into one of those touchpad keyboards.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

DarkestEx

Quote from: Unicorn on December 15, 2015, 12:18:55 AM
Sounds interesting. I wonder if you could intergrate the rpi into one of those touchpad keyboards.
Initially I was about to, but then I decided against that as the keyboard I found which had a touchpad, USB hub and everything else that was required, was just too expensive (30 EUR).

By the way, I updated my animated signature :)

SiphonicSugar

Quote from: DarkestEx on December 14, 2015, 08:24:17 AM

Yes, that was what I had in mind initially. I will probably put a C64 and ZX Spectrum emulator on it. But I will also use it as a portable Linux machine primarily. It would be cool if I could break the I/O out so that I can control stuff with it.

Oh PLEASE make a tutorial, I want to build one!  :w00t:
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

DarkestEx

Quote from: SiphonicSugar on December 15, 2015, 01:49:12 AM

Alright I'll do one as I go through the process of making it :)

DarkestEx

Update: The keyboard arrived! But then I have bad news too: The empty room is too small by about 2 - 3 mm. I might be able to take down some inner structure and it will probably (barely) fit.
I did buy some adapters too, but I guess that I won't need them anymore as they have no room. But I will look into all this then the Pi arrives sometime next week.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: SiphonicSugar on December 15, 2015, 01:49:12 AM

That would be cool. It would be like those NES clones, but with 8 bits computers instead. :)

If I built one, then I wouldn't need to spend $300 on a NTSC Amiga or Commodorr 64 that works in North America.

Quote from: DarkestEx on December 16, 2015, 04:05:02 PM
Update: The keyboard arrived! But then I have bad news too: The empty room is too small by about 2 - 3 mm. I might be able to take down some inner structure and it will probably (barely) fit.
I did buy some adapters too, but I guess that I won't need them anymore as they have no room. But I will look into all this then the Pi arrives sometime next week.
I hope you can manage to find a solution to the space issues. Good luck!
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

Quote from: alexgt on December 14, 2015, 09:56:00 PM
Quote from: DarkestEx on December 14, 2015, 08:28:26 PM
or as Jamie Hyneman would say "when in doubt... C4" :P
* c4ooo c4's alexgt
Do you think you can just leave part of it hanging out? I mean, you still need a way to acces the ports on the PHI :P
Anyhow, cool project!