Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

UtilPack/ UtilComp [hp prime][lib]

Started by alexgt, June 20, 2015, 11:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unicorn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 21, 2015, 06:13:04 AM
Now if only this could be used to access Internet from the calc. Of course it would require computer access like gCn for the 84+, but it would still be cool, especially since it would allow online games. Implementing this would be hard, though.
Very cool. But, online games! I had never thought of that being a possibility! O.O
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

O.O that would be awesome to compete against other calc users O.O
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Unicorn

Quote from: alexgt on July 22, 2015, 02:48:25 PM
O.O that would be awesome to compete against other calc users O.O
We could have like major contests and prizes and things O.O
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

And complex rendering/ calculations happen on the computer and then sent to the calc O.O

Dream of Omnimaga

Indeed. THe only problem with contests though is that it would be easy to cheat, since anyone could just modify his copy of the game.

That's unless of course it's possible in HP PPL to send actual program code via USB or wireless, as well as reading the code of a program in the same way you can read string content. That would allow the game to scan the remote copy of the game then compare it with everyone else's to ensure that both are identical.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Unicorn

Yeah, I guess that could be a problem. Maybe the score would be encrypted?

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

If you're making online games, just store the score online while you're at it. A locally encrypted stored file can alway be modified (if the key is locally stored too).
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

This was an idea that was suggested once. That said, what could maybe be done is have KnightOS launch games automatically via an embedded emulator and highscores could be sent to the server, kinda like old forum arcades.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

That would work. Or, we could just do an honor system thing, like  friendly ;)

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

I am unsure what you mean. Do you mean adding highscores that people e-mail to us? That is definitively not the most reliable way I think.

Anyway we should perhaps move this emulator+highscore db discussion into another topic, since it's not guaranteed that alexgt would add such thing to UtilPack

Unicorn

I mean that you could set it all up and things, but trust tha people don't editthe code. We could have them take a video of themselves playing though!

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, a video would be ok, but ideally it would be better if it was a video like those on TASVideos, which are just keypress sequences.

alexgt

I think that if it is possible I could make functions that communicate with the computer but my level of knowledge on how to do that is minimal so id won't happen right away :(

Dream of Omnimaga

No problem. It definitively seems like it could be a challenge. Plus we don't even know if everything can be send to the computer and vice-versa.

alexgt

We will probably need to hack it to do that and that is WAY outta my ally :P