Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

HP Prime OS update 2014.1124

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, December 03, 2014, 02:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Cross-post from Omnimaga. Original post by Tim Wessman:

Quote from: timwessman on December 02, 2014, 10:45:04 PM
For your emulator, calculator and connkit. Easiest way to get them is to use the check for update mechanism in the emulator or connkit. Don't have a Prime and just want to try it out? ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/ (ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/)  for the windows virtual calculator installer.

What Has Changed?

Wireless now supports up to two antennas per PC (30 calculators per antenna).
Wireless performance has been improved.
Various quality and user experience enhancements have been made.

Primary focus of this release was greatly enhancing wireless robustness and communication in general.

Actual release notes hidden below.

[spoiler=Release Notes]
QuoteHP Prime – Release Notes
-------------------------

Date Released: 2014/11/24

Internal Versions
-----------------
          Firmware Version:     2014 11 24 (6940)
Virtual Calculator Version:     2014 11 24 (6940)
          Connectivity Kit:     2014 11 24 (6940)

Description
-----------
This release of the Prime Calculator firmware and associated PC software delivers significant new features and fixes outstanding issues. This document is not a complete list of all changes, but highlights specific items. All users of the HP Prime calculator are encouraged to upgrade for the best possible experience.

Primary focus in this release was enhancements to communication and wireless.

New Functionality (Connectivity Kit)
------------------------------------
User interface refined and improved.
Much more reliable and capable communication.
Multiple antennas supported for wireless communication.
Progress bars are now shown for individual units during transfer data transfer.
Much nicer "firmware update" window - adds support for detection of multiple units and more ways to receive prompts for updating units.
Now possible to send a single item from one unit to everyone in the class in a single step.
Improvements to screen monitoring.

New Functionality (Calculator Software)
---------------------------------------
Added lower/upper optional inputs in cumulative probability functions. Binomial arguments now consistently ordered.
Add ability to mix and edit CAS functions inline as part of larger programs - #cas to start a block, and #end to end it.
New variables Notes and Programs created to allow programatic access.
Geometry variables Instruction and DelInstruction provide programatic access to geometry constructions.
Much faster scrolling in large notes, programs and equations.
There is now an "Info" menu key in the memory manager. It reports free ram and available storage.
VARS menu now has a "system" group which contains general system variables.
TOff variable introduced. It is a millisecond value with minimum of 5s.
TIME was renamed to TEVAL to avoid confusion with Time variable. Also now shows up in the catalog.
SERIAL and VERSION commands introduced.
Added an implicit_diff command to simplify implicit differentiation steps.
Improved help throughout system and connected it in more places.

New Functionality (Virtual Calculator)
--------------------------------------
Japanese user interface turned on for menus.
There is now an "Info" menu key in the memory manager. It reports used ram and available storage.

Resolved issues and changes excluding CAS
-----------------------------------------
1. Resolved potential issue pasting formatted text into notes.
2. Improved cursor positioning when working with very large notes or programs.
3. Resolved issues with style selection in note editor.
4. Resolved issue using large font in inference table view.
5. Resolved issue storing into some inference variables from the command line.
6. Improved spreadsheet to allow loading old format without issue.
7. Resolved issue where plotfunc in command line could blink while help was open.
8. Resolved issue with vector use involving MAKELIST and list2mat.
9. Resolved issues with printing some messages from the CAS.
10. Resolved issue where connectivity kit did not allow an empty password for exam mode.
11. e^t^2 not printing with parens making it appear wrong. As part of fix, removed superscript 2 character from [x^2] key. Now does ^2 instead.
12. Resolved some issues with various FILLPOLY inputs.
13. Resolved issue with Send button not showing up on the emulator when selected to communicate with a calculator.
14. Resolve issue in connectivity kit where menu cut/copy/paste were not always working in some places.
15. Improved poll response to prompt for verification on single send, or with missing responses.
16. Resolved issue with digit grouping making equations appear strangely in a few locations.
17. Resolved an issue where [a b/c] could hide a negative sign.
18. Resolved issue with using matrix store notation M1(5,1) on a vector.
19. Resolved many issues in INPUT command. Also, chooser indexes in INPUT command were 0 based instead of 1.
20. Introduced "Fit" variable in 2var statistics to programmatically control fit line removal.
21. Resolved issue involving SetFreq.
22. Resolved issue using built in function variables in makelist. ex: MAKELIST(F1,X,1,5,1)
23. Brought back OS version on help about screen.
24. Improved color choosers through system so initial color selection matches the current selection.
25. Improved first boot screen.
26. Resolved issue with REGRS command and trig fit.
27. Some "NIST" group went and changed the definition of Faraday.
28. Resolved issues with alphabetical app sorting.
29. Switched to have fsolve in CAS->solve menu instead of less capable nSolve command.
30. Improved the exam mode password/time screen to show remaining time better.
31. Improved sleep to avoid the calculator from sleeping while streamer is connected and active.
32. Resolved issue where terminal scrolling could hang system. Also added a titlebar on the terminal.
33. Resolved issue with E+5/ interpreted as (E+5)/ instead of E+5/
34. Removed ` from catalog. (auto eval quote)
35. Resolved issue with program dialog box and digit grouping.
36. Resolved memory issue in parser when using ICON keyword.
37. Resolved issue where a matrix stored by M2:=M1 in home edited both M1 and M2.
38. Resolved issue with digit grouping in solve application preventing solving with numbers >1000.
39. Resolved issue with kinetic scrolling and editors.
40. Enlarged size of advanced graphing memory so more scrolling can happen before redraw is needed.
41. Resolved issue where define F1=..., F2=d F1(X) / X=X in symb, PLOT view, and then exit could cause undesirable effects.
42. Resolved display issue where DMS value -1<x<0 was not showing negative sign.
43. Improves Function app/Plot/Fcn/Root reports for some functions that jump over zeros.
44. Resolved issue where STRING function was not working well with 4 or more parameters.
45. Resolved issue where DRAWMENU was not able to use pictures as sources

Resolved issues and changes in CAS
----------------------------------
1. Improved simplify handling of surd/nthroot
2. concat now accepts more than 2 arguments
3. Fix for int(1/x^2,x,0,inf)
4. Fix for fisher_cdf(5,6,2.1,∞)
5. Changes for arcLen - support for curves having more than one arc and for points instead of parameter values for boundaries
6. Additional checks for low accuracy integrals by gaussian quadratures to avoid Romberg method, example int(1/sqrt(1-x^6),x,0,1.)
7. Improves multiple integrals like int(int(int(sqrt(x^2+z^2),z,-sqrt(y-x^2),sqrt(y-x^2)),y,x^2,4),x,-2,2)
8. Fix for desolve(y''=1/x^2)
9. Fix for sign, for example sign(sin(6283185307179586/1000000000000000))
10. Fix for int((1-x)^(2/3)*x^(1/3),x,0,1)
11. Fix for expand(x*2.9e-13+6.3e-13)
12. Enables new syntax for substitution in expression like f:=x^2+1; f(x=1)
13. int(1/sqrt(1+x^3),x,0.0,∞) now returns an approximate answer
14. Fix for (f)solve(((3.068E-3/(0.118+1.001E-5*X))-(((1+2.126E-5*X)/(1+8.506E-5*X))-(0.3+2.55E-5*X)))=0,X);
15. Setting default arg to 0 in piecewise to make limit work
16. Added support for complex numbers in pmin
17. Fix for limit((-9x^69+x^47+10)/(-7x^69+x^46+10),x=inf)
18. Remove autosimplification after 'reorder'
19. Fix for limit(surd(3^x+5^x,x),x,inf)
20. Fix for solve(6e-34*f=g,f)
21. Sort proot output
22. If taylor or series have polynom as optional last arg, the order_size term is removed (shortcut for convert(series(...),polynom) to series(...,polynom))
23. Improve warning for some ode that can not be solve explicitly
24. Fix for int(x²/(9+x^6),x,-inf,inf), int(1/(x^2 + 6*x + 12),x,-inf,inf)
25. Fix for trigtan(sin(x)/cos(x)) and for cSolve(x^4-1=3)
26. SVD warnings for exact/symbolic matrices
27. Fix for GD:=line(y=(4859/2500*ln(20)+631/125+(-4859/100000*ln(20)-631/5000)*x)):;GG:=plotfunc(1.301*ln(x)+3.406,x,-50,50):;single_inter(D,G);
28. Changed ihermite to return a list
29. Simplification of conj(conj()), conj(re()) and conj(im())
30. median({1,2,3,4}) returns 2.5
31. rsolve now handles homographic recurrences if the fixed point has multiplicity 2
32. Computation of Beta(x,y) if x>0, y>0 and x+y is integer, recognition of integrals solvable by Beta, e.g. int(x^(1/3)*(1-x)^(2/3),x,0,1)
33. If partfrac optional 2nd argument is a sqrt, does partial fraction expansion with factorization over this field extension
34. Fixes for rootof (root selection and i with rootof)
35. Improves arg and evalc for pow of complex numbers
36. Fixes solve with piecewise containing a sqrt
37. Fix for solve(x^5=-1)
38. laplace now switches to exact mode
39. Fix for piecewise in regroup and solve
40. Fix order for regroup (fraction/monomials)
41. Fix for SVD
42. Fix for string(matrix), sum(sin(n*x)/n^2,n,1,inf), fsolve in degree mode without interval/guess
43. Fix for Groebner basis and fix for comparing 2 symbolic complexes having the same imaginary part
44. Improves some simplifications like abs(exp(i*x)+1) and some integrals of periodic function over a period
45. Avoid rootofs for some factorizations
46. Change for product/sum, e.g. for product(n,n,1/2,3,1/2)
47. Calls exact on limit arguments
48. Change piecewise printing to CASE
49. Fix for int(exp(-x)/(1+x^2),x,0,inf)
50. Fix complexroot(x^3+8,1e-5,0,2+2*i)
51. Fix for solve(sin(x)=sin(2x))
52. Accept = instead of - in zeros and czeros
53. Call normal on inverse of matrix
54. Fix for int(abs(sin(x)-cos(x-1)),x,0,3)
55. fsolve now returns itself if the equation has more than 1 var, making commands like fsolve(int(fsolve(x^5+x=y,x,1e-14),y,0,t)=1/3,t=1.0) possible
56. Improve detection of polynomial equation by fsolve. If fsolve has only one solution in a polynomial equation, returns the solution instead of a list of one solution
57. Fix printing of ()^.5 (was incorrectly printed as sqrt())
58. Fix for int(1/surd(x-1,5),x,1,33)
59. Fix for desolve(y''+1/(x+1)=0,x,y)
60. Make resultant with 0 return 0
61. Fix for ifactor(373196531)
62. Fix for SVD of matrices having more columns than rows
63. Make sorta/sortd work with complex numbers (sorting by real parts)
64. Changed number of Pollard-rho tries for ifactor(2^101+5), removed some optimizations that seems to fail in some rare occurrences
65. Integration - small improvement recognizing f(u)*u' pattern
66. pmin now accepts sqrt and other algebraic extension of Q
67. round([a,b],c) fixed
68. Make limit(exp(-1/x^2)/x,x=0) work
69. Fixed iquorem to behave like iquo+irem with negative integers
70. Fix for int(frac(x),x,-1,2), int(frac(x),x,0,6.4) 
71. Fix for int(sqrt((t-5*cos(t))^2 + (6*cos(1+sin(t)))^2),t,0,3)
72. Fix for factor(3*a*cos(sqrt(3)*ln(-x)/2)-b*sin(sqrt(3)*ln(-x)/2)-sqrt(3)*a*sin(sqrt(3)*ln(-x)/2)+sqrt(3)*b*cos(sqrt(3)*ln(-x)/2))
73. Fix for sum_riemann(1/sqrt(n^2+k^2),[n,k])[/q][/q][/q][/spoiler]

Unfortunately I ran into some issues with the update, but the new features look promising. Among the bugs I found are the following (tried hardware A):

Quote-The first time I tried to update the calc firmware, I got stuck on some weird Welcome screen in every language. I had to press ON+Symb to get out.
-Pressing the Memory menu crashes the calculator and makes it reboot, so it is no longer accessible. I tried reinstalling the firmware, to no avail.
-The emulator updater fails (it either errors out at the end of it gets stuck during update). I had to download a copy from the FTP.
-When I finally got to update the emulator successfully, it got stuck on the Wilkomen/Welcome/Bienvenue screen with a lock on it. The only way to get past it was to restart the emulator.

EDIT: It seems the Mem menu works fine once I delete Trailblazer and BRICKS (both which don't work in this firmware).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Cool that they are still working on improving it. :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Yup. At least they're fixing some bugs. I just hope it eventually becomes more stable than TI OSes so that the HP Prime reputation isn't tarnished worldwide. It has a lot of potential.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Yeah right, the Prime was released unfinished and it's really sad that after a year some of the major issues are still not solved. The fact that they are effectively fixing bugs and adding features actively is good though. And they're transparent about it too. :D

Dream of Omnimaga

That too. I wish TI would do the same. But considering the 84+CSE carries bugs over from the TI-83 non-plus from 1996 I doubt it.

novenary

The Nspire has bugs from the original TI-92. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait what? How is that even possible cross-CPU architecture?? O.O

novenary

Because the CAS engine is the same (and it's most likely written in C or another portable language). :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I see now. I knew it was based on the 68K calcs, especially the BASIC, other than removed input/output commands, but I thought the Nspire CAS was the one used on the HP Prime and not 68K.

Dream of Omnimaga

BUMP:

Something strange happened: The new firmware has been removed from the FTP earlier. Apparently it was temporarily removed. Could it be due to problems or was it a mistake?

novenary

I think it's more likely due to a critical issue they noticed. I hope they fix it.

Dream of Omnimaga

I hope it's not something bricking every calc like a timebomb virus cuz mine has it installed. Maybe people think the lock screen is a bricked calc screen :P

novenary