Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Upcoming downtime: Nov 17 until ~Dec 1st (UPDATE: Postponed so no downtime)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 10, 2017, 01:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Update: Postponed indefinitely, thanks to the generous contributions of various members. Special thanks to them.

Dear Codewalrus users,

The website will undergo an extended period of downtime starting November 17th 2017, somewhere around the night, although the IRC channels, Discord server, Facebook and Twitter accounts will remain active during that time. There is no known date for when the website will be up again but it should be Early December.

Due to financial issues, the CW staff can no longer afford to pay the hosting bill (which is already over a week late) for the time being. This situation should go back under control in a few weeks. You can also donate at [email protected] in order to prevent this downtime or to reduce its lenght.

Sorry for the inconveniences. In the meantime, join our Discord server at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF and follow us at http://twitter.com/codewalr_us and https://m.facebook.com/CodeWalrusFans/ to stay in touch.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Adriweb

Hm, I just donated 12 $CAD since I read this should cover it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(and I just had to pay 600+ eur for housing tax >.> so what's 8 more euro lol)
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Yuki

Well, we massively reached more than several times our goal in a few hours, so it will at least stay online for a few months ^_^ On that, if you donate more, we might even give out some contest prizes!

Thanks a lot!

- CodeWalrus' Ministry of Finances
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Adriweb on November 10, 2017, 08:32:56 PM

600 euros is a lot when only 1 CW staff has an actual income and that real life priorities and health issues impairs that income. >.<

We will not be doing a contest this year. I might organize a Summer 2018 contest, though. In the meantime, mini-contests with no prizes may be organized by members, though, as usual.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Yeah, most of the staff is going through hard times these days. Personally, I think I can start to contribute next month as I get more contracts at my job ^_^
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually it's higher than that for this month. In US dollar the regular price is $12, which is around CAD$15, but this morning they increased this month charge to almost CAD$20, probably interests or penalties due to the bill being late.
Quote from: Juju on November 10, 2017, 09:23:34 PM
Yeah, most of the staff is going through hard times these days. Personally, I think I can start to contribute next month as I get more contracts at my job ^_^
Yeah the issue is that either our staff is at school with no job or with rarely any work available for them at their job. In my case, I have a full-time job, but I was forced to stop for an entire month last july and two weeks in october, in addition to calling in sick two other times around early October.

Thanks a lot to those who helped though. It's really appreciated! (especially since the downtime would also have resulted into the termination of the entire server, meaning that once we get back online we would have needed to reupload several GB of files and data again.)

EDIT: It looks like someone donated $100 (just like last year) O.O. So we're staying online for quite a few months without service interruption for sure.

Yuki

Quote from: xlibman on November 11, 2017, 01:02:05 AM

Actually it's higher than that for this month. In US dollar the regular price is $12, which is around CAD$15, but this morning they increased this month charge to almost CAD$20, probably interests or penalties due to the bill being late.
No, they probably added what we owe so far this month.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I see. Because some companies add interests for late bills (Vidéotron, for example)

TheLastMillennial

I'm glad CW is able to stay up! Although I'm not around much it still sucks to see the staff struggle to keep it up.  :(
I hope things improve for you guys! :)
  • Calculators owned: HP Prime G2, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-34, Boring Sharp calculator

Thank you for your time, go make a paradox, have a good day.

Adriweb

Quote from: xlibman on November 11, 2017, 01:02:05 AMActually it's higher than that for this month. In US dollar the regular price is $12, which is around CAD$15
Oh lol, I thought the $12 was in CAD not in USD :P

Anyway, I'm glad this all seems resolved now.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah DO is confusing because they used to send us invoices in USD and now 95% of them are CAD.

Also it looks like we could end up on Sorunome's server in the future but it would have to be juju/CVSoft doing the move since I don't have access nor VPS experience