Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Dead project history preservation (gameplay footage)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, October 21, 2017, 08:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

In the past, many programming projects died due to various factors and more often than not, none of their history was preserved (no source code, no demo, no screenshot left, etc). Because it's impossible to just ask people to take over someone else's project without requiring them to get used to a different style of programming (which often fails), I thought about a different idea that would not necessarily bring back those projects to life, but at least show their past existence.

Sometimes, releasing what you got isn't feasible (eg if there are many dependencies of any kind or lack of time or disk space or the high chances that the game will stop working in just 1-2 years), so why not at least making a video where you play through the game? People won't be able to play the game, but they will still be able to enjoy watching it, like people who watches gameplay footage, speedruns or livestreams. I also think this would be a good idea for games that requires an online connection, like Videoway games way back then, that risks disappearing off the face of the earth in half a decade or already did so.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

mazhat

I really like this idea.
It's interesting to think what was, and what could have been.
The TI-83+ Elite project comes to mind.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83Plus, TI-84Plus
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung TAB A (Cheap), DSI, Rasperry PI 3
Sketti

123outerme

I like this idea. I think with several of my dead projects, I already had made and probably released screenshots, but bringing this to my attention makes me want to upload all my source for all my dead projects, and if I ever care, to fix them up.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

_iPhoenix_

Instead of saying that we like the idea, why don't we use it :P
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

tr1p1ea

HHmmm.... I would make a video but I don't think i'd finish it :P

Dream of Omnimaga

gameblabla

2 years ago, I was working on this 3DGE Doom mod. However, due to Doomworld banning my post among other reasons,
i did not finish the game.

For a while i lost the game... However, i found an older version with the broken last level.
I just need to fix that last level barring you from the bad ending..
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Glad that you made a video. I just made one for Superstar Hero, where I basically play through the entire game (the completed parts).