Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[ti-83+/84+] Hoobagees 4

Started by Hoobagee, December 15, 2016, 08:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoobagee

Hi all! I made a TI-Basic RPG based on Pokemon that will hopefully entertain some people.

Hoobagees 4, v. 1.1 is here.
Here is the TICalc.org page, if you want to download/rate/review the game!

The readme includes a full explanation and walkthrough of the early game (through the first Leader battle).

On the whole, I can speedrun the game in roughly 1.5 hours; a new player who makes some use of the strategy guide might take 2-3 hours, depending.

Please let me know if you play it, and what you think! :)

Bugs / Quibbles I've Heard So Far:
+ Sometimes you can step on the grass and cause it to vanish; other times the grass can block you and you have to walk around it

Changelog
+ Updated on 12/15/16 to v1.1: fixed Area2 -> Area3 bug, lowered levels of enemies in endgame, and made it so that ENTER works on any menu to select (but 2nd works on some of them also). Grass is unchanged though.
+ Updated on 12/15/16 to include an Official Guide with the release. If you get stuck in a dungeon, this will help. :)
+ Updated on 1/4/17 to include TICalc.org link.

p2

yaay finally a basic game for 84+ again ^.^  :love:
I currently dont have the time to test it, but I definitely will do it later, I think next week :)
but I like the screenshots, it really looks promising :)  :thumbsup:

Edit: Uh just noticed it's ur first post ^^
Maybe you want to introduce youself to everyone? :) You can do that HERE (click me)
You don'T have to, but it's always nice to get to know the new members :)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dream of Omnimaga

As said on IRC, I like what I see so far. Also welcome to the forums :3=

I played the game a bit and the difficulty is not too hard when you get used to the game mechanics. The only suggestions I have (some of which I mentioned on IRC) would be the following:

-Use one common key for confirming, rather than 2nd and Enter. If RAM is too limited to use a Repeat getKey loop, then maybe switch everything to Enter and use Pause
-If you have a spare pic outside battles, maybe store the map in it and recall the picture everytime you walk around, to prevent the grass from being erased.

I was especially surprised at the game speed, considering the amount of sub-programs and the fact you use sprites for characters. Good job so far :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Hoobagee

Thanks for the thoughts guys. :)

Currently planned updates:
+ I'm going to make it so that you can use both 2nd and Enter for every place where currently only 2nd works
+ Going to leave grass erasure in, but going to fix it so that grass never becomes an obstacle
+ I found a bug where going from Area 2 to Area 3 doesn't work - forgot to program the jump - so I've repaired that and will push it out quickly
+ From my most recent runthrough, it looks like endgame (the last leader, the league, and especially the league champion) are harder than I thought they were, and need to be toned down a little bit

On the game speed:

Thanks! It took some very careful elimination of memory leaks to make possible. Although there may still be a few rare issues, I think the game is almost entirely ERR: MEMORY free.

p2

hmm most pokemon-like games had the same problem:
if you "farm" for an hour you can afterwards just run through the game and onehit every enemy without any problem.
Do the enemies adapt to your current level or do they have fix stats? :)

*haven't tried ur game yet...
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Hoobagee

Enemies do have fixed stats, so if you grind for a while you will beat them very easily. This is a game that is designed with the idea of being more fun than difficult. However, there are some battles that will get harder in the post-game (the league takes a few levels each time you beat it for the first few times you beat it, for example). Mostly, you are encouraged to go through the game quickly, and not stay in one place for too long. A hard-mode might happen in the future, though. :)

Dream of Omnimaga

I downloaded the update now. I will try it when I get extra free time :)

As for difficulty, I guess if it's too easy, you could add a difficulty setting when starting a new game that doubles the required experience needed to level up and an unlockable mode with no item (except  required ones)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

On a side note, I got side-tracked with holidays so I will probably resume playing this game soon. I would definitively like to try completing it :) (I was also making a full map in an image editor by putting all screenshots of the areas next to each others, like I did with some of my old game walkthroughs. However I will keep it personal if you don't want spoilers to be posted :)

Which reminds me, CW could probably use a walkthroughs section. (although Omni already has one, but with most tutorials and that section itself setup by me a long time ago)

Hoobagee

Ah, I'll be very glad to see what you think! :D

You are welcome to post your full map once you make it! In fact, I will even be happy to put it in an updated version of the strategy guide.

As a protip for when you get to your playthrough, I highly recommend taking advantage of fusion and antifusion to help you progress through the game. The Hoobagees you can get by combining can get much stronger than the ones you find in the wild!

Dream of Omnimaga

My main concern is that fusions and antifusions seems a lot trial and error, in addition to the game autosaving, which means if I screw up then I always have to reload the emulator savestate and if it's on a real calc then I lost my old hoobagee forever. Can antifused and fused hoobagees become much weaker level-wise?

Anyway I didn't play through the game yet since I was busy with a few other games. I just finished Uvutu but I'll probably play it again later. I stopped playing Reuben 3 for now since it's incredibly hard and need a lot of time to grind, so I might get back to your game soon :)

Hoobagee

You make a good point about trial-and-error - I should include a preview so you know what the fusion will look like / what its stats will be, before you pick whether you'd like to buy it or not.

Fused Hoobagees will almost always be stronger than both of the components that make them. Antifused Hoobagees have a 100% guarantee of being at least as strong.

The level of the fusion/antifusion is not actually a good indicator of strength: if you antifuse any two Hoobagees that are the same level, then the antifusion will have the same level as both of them, but its stats will all be better (and possibly much better, depending on what Hoobagees you antifused).

Dream of Omnimaga

Trial and error can actually be part of the challenge in some games, such as item creation in Star Ocean series. But the main issue is if autosaving is a thing. <_< In Star Ocean you can at least save manually before performing item creation and if the new items don't satisfy you then you can reload your last save.