Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-83+/84+] This is the Only Level

Started by JWinslow23, March 05, 2016, 07:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWinslow23

Elephants sometimes do forget...the rest of the levels.

Based on this awesome game from Armor Games, with one level as the title suggests (yet 30 different "stages" :P ), I present to you, a could-be-would-be project in the works: This is the Only Level 84+!

The attached download is outdated. Click the screenie to go to the latest version!

You can also download from ticalc.org or Cemetech!

Old post content

I only have three different screenies so far: one demonstrating the tilemapper, one showing a physics engine, and one showing how to work the button with the door. Ignore them and download the latest binary instead, if you so choose. Or don't. I don't care. There's not much to do anyways unless you have the source.

[close]

Dudeman313

You made this a thing! Yay! I think it looks good so far. Maybe I could go along the same path and port the game in color to the CE using @MateoConLechuga 's Portal Returns CE engine, if that's okay with him, which I'm sure it is. Anyway, good job! :thumbsup:
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

JWinslow23

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 05, 2016, 07:36:26 PM
You made this a thing! Yay! I think it looks good so far. Maybe I could go along the same path and port the game in color to the CE using @MateoConLechuga 's Portal Returns CE engine, if that's okay with him, which I'm sure it is. Anyway, good job! :thumbsup:
Glad you like it :) And yeah, it seems like something similar would be nice on the CSE or CE, provided you can manage to sneak in all the tricks with each stage. It's also kinda nice, because the character in that game already looks like an elephant ;D

Dudeman313

Quote from: JWinslow23 on March 05, 2016, 10:47:50 PM
Glad you like it :) And yeah, it seems like something similar would be nice on the CSE or CE, provided you can manage to sneak in all the tricks with each stage. It's also kinda nice, because the character in that game already looks like an elephant ;D
I'll probably change the sprite anyway, to look more like an elephant.

The level editor also allows you to change the height which you can jump, which could simulate increase/decreases in gravity, and there's already a way to have between-level text.
I'd have to somehow implement shorter spikes, gravity switching, scrolling(so that levels can be proportional on the CE to the original game, like you did), vertical sprites(in my dummy version, I'm using the death fields), the entry/exit tube, large doors or a switch that can open 2 doors at once, and a bigger button(I'm using three where the big one should be).
I'll make a topic for my project, and ask a whole lot of people for help. ;D
The answer is "Sure."

JWinslow23

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 05, 2016, 11:17:41 PM
Quote from: JWinslow23 on March 05, 2016, 10:47:50 PM
I'll probably change the sprite anyway, to look more like an elephant.

The level editor also allows you to change the height which you can jump, which could simulate increase/decreases in gravity, and there's already a way to have between-level text.
I'd have to somehow implement shorter spikes, gravity switching, scrolling(so that levels can be proportional on the CE to the original game, like you did), vertical sprites(in my dummy version, I'm using the death fields), the entry/exit tube, large doors or a switch that can open 2 doors at once, and a bigger button(I'm using three where the big one should be).
I'll make a topic for my project, and ask a whole lot of people for help. ;D
Well, there's only one thing that neither of us have thought of yet: how we'd do Stage 28: Oh ho, so close. We'd need the sprite to take up the entire screen, and have it move around him. Or we'd need to change the trick to that one.

Dudeman313

True... <_<
Otherwise, I can use the same methods for the CE version that you use on yours, except I have to deal with colors.
The answer is "Sure."

MateoConLechuga

Hehe, good luck figuring out that source. You can use it if you can understand it :P

Dudeman313

Quote from: MateoConLechuga on March 06, 2016, 01:10:48 AM
Hehe, good luck figuring out that source. You can use it if you can understand it :P
That may or may not be a problem. I have the "Mateo" folder you uploaded to Google Drive(the one that also contains Mario CE's source that I still can't get to work), so I can figure out how to change some sprites, but I'll still have to figure out scrolling and gravity switching. Sprite changing would be easier with the Portal Returns CE Level Editor's source. At least I think so. I'd also need the ability to add messages to the end of levels and not just the beginning.
The answer is "Sure."

JWinslow23

Bump.

I added collision with the spikes. They kill you now, as they are supposed to. Life is cruel to an elephant.

Download attached. Tell me what you think!

Dudeman313

Nice! I also started my project, but realized I accidentally made two different topics for it.
I tested this on WabbitEmu with my sister's ROM, and I think it's pretty good so far. Maybe for tricks later, you could switch the intial
jump key to the up arrow?
The answer is "Sure."

aetios

Quote from: JWinslow23 on March 06, 2016, 05:26:24 PM
Bump.

I added collision with the spikes. They kill you now, as they are supposed to. Life is cruel to an elephant.

That works, but I want a splattering animation upon dying. For inspiration, check Tag by Leafiness on Omnimaga.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dudeman313

Quote from: aeTIos on March 06, 2016, 10:19:47 PM
Bump.

That works, but I want a splattering animation upon dying. For inspiration, check Tag by Leafiness on Omnimaga.
He's doing it like the original; there's no splattering animation in the original; but I guess it could be added if he felt like it...In the CE version, I feel like there's no need to take it out.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

I remember seeing this a while ago and hoped it would come to fruition. But I didn't remember the game name so I kinda forgot. I still confuse it with GuyInFreezer's RPG as of now because of the name :P (his game is called You are only Level One)

Anyway I need to give this a try as soon as possible. It seems challenging and fun :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JWinslow23

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 06, 2016, 07:37:56 PM
Nice! I also started my project, but realized I accidentally made two different topics for it.
I tested this on WabbitEmu with my sister's ROM, and I think it's pretty good so far. Maybe for tricks later, you could switch the intial
jump key to the up arrow?
I think I saw that topic. I haven't tried your version yet, but I will as soon as possible. As for making up jump, I actually did want to do that instead, but I just used 2nd for testing because I feel like it's more natural. I'll change it to more accurate controls as I start making the individual stages. Need to fine-tune all the mechanics before clustering it all together.
Quote from: aeTIos on March 06, 2016, 10:19:47 PM
Bump.

I know about that, but I don't really deem it necessary. Besides, the original game doesn't have it, it just has a gray player sprite sit there dead for a moment (you still have control of the newly spawned player, though). I've used my gray for the actual player, though, so I dunno what to do...perhaps a particle explosion, if it's not too much trouble to program and can run at a decent FPS alongside my game...but I don't find it necessary.
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 06, 2016, 10:52:34 PM
I remember seeing this a while ago and hoped it would come to fruition. But I didn't remember the game name so I kinda forgot. I still confuse it with GuyInFreezer's RPG as of now because of the name :P (his game is called You are only Level One)

Anyway I need to give this a try as soon as possible. It seems challenging and fun :)
I think I saw that RPG a while back. Weird coincidence with the name.
Also, glad you like what you see. I would recommend playing this demo as soon as possible, and familiarize yourself with the game's mechanics. Once I actually add more stages, you'll need it ;)

Dudeman313

Alright. I await more progress!  ;D
The answer is "Sure."