Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

MEGA65

Started by Ivoah, January 29, 2016, 08:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

Nice project. Since christmas as you might all know I do own a real C64. And currently we are working on a modern 8 bit computer too. Not 6510 based though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

garvalf

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ fr, TI-82
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...

aetios

Quote from: DarkestEx on February 20, 2016, 02:31:38 PM
Nice project. Since christmas as you might all know I do own a real C64. And currently we are working on a modern 8 bit computer too. Not 6510 based though.
So do I, I think i've had one for about 2 years. Been wanting to make some programs for it, but I need to grab an IDE somewhere. I got a working SID from @Keoni29 last year, that's pretty cool.
ceci n'est pas une signature

utz

@aeTIos Try C64 Studio if you're on Windows. Otherwise, use cc65 with some shell scripts ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

aetios

I'll be doing my c64 stuff on windows, way easier interfacing :x

garvalf

I've just bought a C64C today.. :-[
I think I'll get a sid2sid card and a mssiah extension too. And probably a sd card adapter. It'll get damn expensive I must be crazy, especially when the emulation (sidplayfp) is quite similar to the real thing :banghead:
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ fr, TI-82
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...

Dream of Omnimaga

Something I wonder about Commodore computer is how fast is the BASIC language? Can a tilemap game with no scrolling, where the character moves square by square (like in Block Dude) be fast enough to run like some hybrid TI-84+ BASIC games? Or will only ASCII art games or text-only games be fast enough to be playable? Or is the language crippled like TI-Nspire BASIC?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

utz

The original BASIC used on the C64 is, err... not one of the strong points of the machine, due to a rather inefficient implementation. Commodore improved it on later machines (C128, Plus 4 series), but on the C64 it is very sluggish. That said, you can do almost anything on it since it allows you to POKE in machine code, then call it with the SYS command.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

aetios

It's quite slow, but not crippled. ASM is quite fast though, especially if you use tricks to make it run faster. That said, I have a cartridge of SIMON'S BASIC, and I gotta say that works really well :D

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: aeTIos on March 03, 2016, 10:02:42 AM
It's quite slow, but not crippled. ASM is quite fast though, especially if you use tricks to make it run faster. That said, I have a cartridge of SIMON'S BASIC, and I gotta say that works really well :D
Would the speed compare with Grammer or xLIB? That would definitively be enough.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U