Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

How did you get into calc programming/forums?

Started by Snektron, March 21, 2015, 03:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snektron

TheCoder1998 first showed me omnimaga.org about a year ago. Since i wasnt really interested in calc programming i didn't join (or maybe i did, just never posted anything). After a while i started making basic programs to make math easier (i was too lazy to solve quadratic equations myself lol). Then TheCoder showed me Axe and i started doing that. When i heard a new Calculator forum was opening i thought that was a great opportunity to get into forums, so i signed up like a month before the official release. I also started learing Z80 ASM about half a year ago.

What about you?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

jamu

after looking up games for my nspire, and saw that I could play GBA games on it, but needed ndless to do so, so I looked up ndless and found omnimaga, that's how I got into it
I have a rhythm game problem.

Unicorn

I was looking for games for my CSE and then I found out that they are programmable relatively easily do i started programming in BASIC, and I had some questions, so I registered at Cemetch, the only forums site I knew about at that time.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

CKH4

I started experimenting with calculators in 8th grade and I found this video which got me into basic programming.
[spoiler][/spoiler] (or maybe [spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggjQ_rujN0s[/spoiler]).

I then did lots of solvers in math. Then I spent like a week looking through TI-Basic Dev and I learned the graph screen. I made a collection of solvers with a nice menu. My first game that I made was a star dodge game made in basic. Now I'm on to axe parser and things are going pretty good (I'm working on my first big(ish) game).
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Snektron

CKH4

It's a common first axe project (hint. hint.). I think that you saw the options menu so you might be able to guess by the ship. The project isn't actually that big but I am writing it on my friends calc so its slow going.

^v^-v^-^v^-v^-^v^-v^-^v^-v^-^v^-v^-
  >
^v^-v^-^v^-v^-^v^-v^-^v^-v^-^v^-v^-
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

alexgt

My first experience with calcs was in 7th grade where my teacher had Ti-83s. I later noticed the PRGM button and made my first prgm  "1+1" it of course outputted 2. After that I looked for a calc of my own, it just so happened that my sister had one from high school so she gave it to me. Then I looked up how to program a graphing calc. I came up with this...
After watching that I started programming a little on my own

That was one year ago and to this day I have to make sure I have pants with big pockets because I have my calc in there :P (That is true too...)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

@alexgt your Youtube link is broken. :P

In my case I saw a friend play Snake and ZTetris on his 83+ and then got interested into making games for that calc after I learned it was programmable. I was 14 back then. I found about the TI community when I first searched for calc games on Google.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

• Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

princetonlion.tibd

I joined my school TSA (Technology Student Association) last year, got a 83+ for the calculator robots competition, and taught a few friends how to code. We were the only people doing the robots out of the entire section :P

I don't know how I found the community :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84 + CSE, Voyager 200, TI-Nspire
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)

Dream of Omnimaga

You stalked me on Youtube IIRC. :trollface:

Also that reminds me, the first forum I joined was MaxCoderz. :P

EDIT:
Quote from: alexgt on March 22, 2015, 03:22:08 PM
oops here it is[spoiler] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMMgo7NVDN8[/spoiler]

Since Youtube didn't exist back when I started calculator programming and that good tutorials were either sparse or hard to find, I only learned from the TI-83+ guidebook that came with my calc (yes, back in the days, your calc came with a 900 pages brick that has screenshots of TI-83 Plus OS 1.00!)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

princetonlion.tibd

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 22, 2015, 04:03:56 PM
You mean trying to comment on every one of your videos? :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84 + CSE, Voyager 200, TI-Nspire
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)

novenary

My first calc was a TI80 I got when I was 10 (it was my uncle's high school calc which he gave to me). It's been 8 years since I started doing that now. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: princetonlion.tibd on March 22, 2015, 10:31:26 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 22, 2015, 04:03:56 PM
You mean trying to comment on every one of your videos? :P
Somewhat :P
Quote from: Streetwalrus on March 22, 2015, 11:41:48 PM
My first calc was a TI80 I got when I was 10 (it was my uncle's high school calc which he gave to me). It's been 8 years since I started doing that now. :P
Oh wow you got to know the TI-80? I am kinda surprised considering it was discontinued in January 2002 (although local stores here sold it until about 2004 or so). That calc was a piece of crap in terms of durability and speed. Even the TI-81 was faster. >.<

I myself have one, but the LCD broke a few years after I got it.