Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Curse of the Minotaur [TI-BASIC]

Started by TIfanx1999, August 02, 2015, 01:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TIfanx1999

Cross-posted from Omnimaga:

As some of you might have noticed, I've been busy posting in the Game mock-ups thread. I've decided to turn these mockups into something more and actually make them into a fully fledged game! In case you haven't seen, here are the mockups and test tiles so far:

The game is currently planned to be done in pure BASIC, but I may end up resorting to some ASM/ASM libs to read from archive if things get to big. Stay tuned for more!

Unicorn

Wait, how do you get the sprites working in basic? Text sprites? Anyways, sounds good!
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

TIfanx1999

Yep, I'm using text sprites.

Dream of Omnimaga

Wow I am curious about how text sprites will turn out for such complex game. Will you use large fonts or small ones? Hopefully you can get a decent speed. Good luck and nice to see you're still into calcs :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

TIfanx1999

I'm using small fonts. I'm thinking speed will be ok, but it depends on how complex the tile mapper ends up being. I want to have foreground an background tiles. I have rough ideas for how to do it, but I'm unsure how it will turn out speed wise once I actually write the code.

CKH4

If you do end up using asm for something I'd definitely say that its worth it to do the drawing rather than the other stuff as that tends to make what would be a great game only an OK game.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

TIfanx1999

There aren't nearly enough pure BASIC games recently, and that's one of the reasons I want to do this in BASIC. I want to show of that BASIC can still do really cool (and pretty games). However; this is subject to change, and I may end up going a different direction if I feel it's needed.

Dream of Omnimaga

I have one that used dual-layer ASCII but it hasn't been worked on in a long while. My goal with it was to have a small RPG that is still somewhat long to beat, but I was mostly into color models lately.

Also I think Art's goal is to make the game in pure basic to show what the language is capable of in terms of graphics. While I tend to prefer dual-layer ASCII due to its much faster speed, text sprites offers more possibilities. If speed is a concern, you could store the displayed map into a picture so that when you enter the menu then exit, the screen is redrawn instantly.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

TIfanx1999

Yea, this aims to be on the smallish side, and not super huge. Also, Pics will definitely be used for quick recall as you say. I'm still amazed that Joltima manage to fit in RAM. I know it's an ASM rpg, but it's still an impressive feat.

CKH4

Oh yeah I completely get the trying to see more ti basic games.

Also @DJ Omnimaga was the karma change an accident?

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, especially considering it was made 17 years ago with minimal documentation. ASM code sometimes ends up getting larger or as large as BASIC because it's compiled instead of interpreted. With BASIC all you need to clear the screen is 1 byte of RAM (ClrHome). It's data that becomes horribly large in BASIC.

@CKH4 it was due to the fact it is frowned upon over here to tell a project author to switch to a different language when the author states that he intends to use a specific one for this project. We also tend to discourage singling out people's work solely based on used language/platform/OS/etc. In summary, BASIC vs ASM discussion should stay in different topics.

CKH4

Ah, I did not mean it like that.

Art it wasnt meant as a you should change but if you do decide to move something to asm like you mentioned in the original post I was suggesting the display routines. I went back and read it and I didn't realize that you had said archive related stuff. Sorry.

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually, now that you mention archive, I missed the part of his post about how he might need archiving libs. I guess that would be fine considering the limited calc RAM. Illusiat 13 is entirely pure BASIC except the archiving/unarchiving part of the game.

TIfanx1999

@CKH4: It's fine, I didn't take it that way. As I said, this project may change direction anyway depending on the needs of the program. Using ASM to do the graphics could be a possibility at some point, but the initial direction is more or less pure BASIC.

@DJ Omnimaga : I agree, trying to keep the data small is what will prove challenging. It's going to be an interesting experience to say the least. The amount of space text alone will take is a scary prospect. x.x

Unicorn

so if need be, you will switch to some lib like xlib?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???