Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

New HP Prime firmware release 2015.0427 (revision 7820)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, May 14, 2015, 05:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

HP has now released a new firmware revision for the HP Prime calculator: version 2015.0427 (revision 7820). It features the following improvements, as stated by Tim Wessman on HP Museum:

QuoteBetter horizontal and vertical pinch zoom functionality.
Better statistics calculations and functionality.
Touch screen curve sketching and automatic recognition of curve type and equation fitting.
Improved help throughout the system.
Quality and reliability improvements.
Better support for USB 3.0 system update connectivity.

[spoiler]HP Prime – Release Notes
-------------------------

Date Released: 2015/04/27

Internal Versions
-----------------
Firmware Version:   2015 04 27 (7820)
Virtual Calculator Version:   2015 04 27 (7820)
Connectivity Kit:   2015 04 27 (7820)

Description
-----------
This release of the Prime Calculator firmware and associated PC software delivers significant new features and fixes outstanding issues. This document is not a complete list of all changes, but highlights specific items. All users of the HP Prime calculator are encouraged to upgrade for the best possible experience.

Primary focus in this release is enhancements to statistics and graphing gestures.

Statistics 1 Variable:
1.   Symbolic view improvements:
a.   Adds plot types:
i   Control
ii   Dot
iii Steam and leaf
iv   Pie
b.   Box and whisker selection of outlier inclusion
c.   Non-integer frequency
2.   Plot view improvements:
a.   Plots of various types may be displayed
b.   Transparency used for color fill
3.   Numerical view improvements:
a.   Creation of additional columns beyond D1-D0
b.   Ability to rename columns
c.   Allows up to 10000 numbers per column
d.   Better selection, movement and operations for editing

Statistics 2 Variable:
a.   Adds med-med regression
b.   Adds frequency definition
c.   Adds more plot mark options and color selection
a.   Fit disabled by default
3.   Numerical view improvements:
a.   Creation of additional columns beyond C1-C0
b.   Ability to rename columns
c.   Allows up to 10000 numbers per column
d.   Better selection, movement and operations for editing

Inference:
a.   Adds 1 way ANOVA
a.   Plot view now exists for all calculation types

Function:
1.   Plot view improvements:
a.   Ability to pinch/zoom in the X direction only or Y direction only
b.   Ability to sketch a function directly of the types exp, ln, sin, x^2, linear

New Functionality (Connectivity Kit)
------------------------------------
1.   Application names not being translated in connkit
2.   Ability to view Home Variables, CAS variables, App Variables, and App Files
3.   Ability to add application icon to an application
4.   Program editor uses monospaced font and has line numbers

New Functionality (Calculator Software)
---------------------------------------
1.   Added more distribution functions – density/cumulative/inverse: beta, exponential, gamma, geometric, negbinomial, uniform, weibull
2.   Added more random generation functions: binomial, chisquare, fisher, geometric, poisson, student
3.   Added functions DDAYS, DATEADD, DATEDAY
4.   Added application variables AFiles, AFilesB and DelAFiles. Allows direct access of application specific files
5.   Added variables HVars and DelHVars. Allows direct creation and access of home variables
6.   Added application variables AVars and DelAVars. Allows direct creation and access of application specific variables
7.   Applications now individually contained inside a directory structure to group variables and files together
8.   Sequence application can start at a location from 0-1000. Less stringent checking of recursion to allow things like U1(U2(N-1))
9.   Improved on-calculator DEBUG interface
10.   Added ability for title and display only in EDITLIST and EDITMAT
11.   Improved copy and paste in table editors through entire system
12.   Added CellName variable in spreadsheet to interact with names
13.   Added Cursor variable in spreadsheet to place cursor and selection
14.   Added a product template for 2D equation entry/display
15.   Improved plot/object drawing in CAS history to allow geometry objects and plots to be directly displayed
16.   Added MEMORY command to allow programs to check space
17.   Added UPPER and LOWER string commands to convert case
18.   Added display of G0-G9 in history
19.   Added ability to use + and – keys directly for one directional limits
20.   Added ability to use non-real inputs in the program catalog RUN menu
21.   Added clear confirmation on programs and note editor

New Functionality (Virtual Calculator)
--------------------------------------
1.   Ability to copy from 2D table/grid editor and paste to other programs like spreadsheets

Resolved issues and changes excluding CAS
-----------------------------------------
1.   Resolved issue with local variable initialization in a program with using a complex number
2.   Renamed "Program" and "Note" into "AProgram" and "ANote" to distinguish better from variables "Programs" and "Notes"
3.   Resolved issue with having a space before the #end in a #cas #end block
4.   Resolved issue with local lists to allow local l= {{{1,2}}}; l(1,1,2);
5.   Resolved issue with FOR STEP not rounding step calculation
6.   Resolved issue with sqrt from catalog not placing cursor nicely
7.   Improved setting/getting in stats using H1-H5, S1-S5
8.   Resolved issues with the Instruction(n) command
9.   Resolved issue where connkit causes emulator to not connect to streamer on connection if the connkit was running
10.   Improved interval arithmetic in advanced grapher for non-negative integer exponents
11.   Resolved issues with use of Notes variable
12.   Resolved issue with unit display in CAS using units in 2D display
13.   Resolved issue with Physics constants not being disabled in exam mode
14.   Improved named spreadsheet cells to appear in app variable menu
15.   Resolved issues with INPUT command
16.   Resolved issue with nested CHOOSE calls used from user key
17.   Resolved issue with program catalog "RUN" button and terminal

Resolved issues and changes in CAS
----------------------------------
1.   Resolved issue with sum((-1)^k/k^2,k,1,inf)
2.   Return exact answer for some integrals like int(t^3/(exp(t)-1),t,0,inf)
3.   Added numeric evaluation of digamma and polygamma function Psi
4.   Resolved issue with variable in Dirac for ilaplace, e.g. ilaplace(2,x,t)
5.   Resolved issue with desolve(y''=(2)-(exp(-(x))))
6.   Return simpler solutions for some linear diff eqs
7.   Return something simple for things like sqrt(3)*(2*x)^(1/3)/(3x)^(1/4)
8.   Resolved issue with SVD and symmetric matrices
9.   Resolved issue with limit((tan(x)-x)/x^3,x=inf)
10.   Resolved issue with int(1/sin(x^-1))
11.   Resolved issue with arcLen(ln(cos(x)),x,0,pi/4)
12.   Resolved issue with randMat(5,5,4,7)
13.   Resolved issue with frequencies median([5,6,2,3],[2,2,2,2])
14.   Improved variable guessing in desolve
15.   Resolved issue with limit(√(x^2+2*x+1)-(√(x^2)),x,∞)
16.   Resolved issue with int(1/(cos(x)^4+sin(x)^4),x,0,pi)
17.   Resolved issue to avoid long calculations in nested sqrt simplification[/spoiler]

If your connectivity kit doesn't detect any update for some reasons, you can download it on their FTP folder at "ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/". Make sure to backup any data (such as school programs, your CW contest entry and/or other projects) from your HP Prime emulator and calculators beforehand, just in case.

Source: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-3823.html
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

• Calculators owned: A lot.

novenary

Still not I suppose. It's sad. Someone donate one to me already so that I can hack it. :P

Lionel Debroux

Like the Nspire, the Prime is tailored for school and exam testing usage. HP devs will have the duty to close arbitrary native code execution holes in the standard OS, Cyrille de Brébisson was on public record about that. HP will simply not release a native code SDK for the Prime...

However, the Prime remains a far more open calculator than the Nspire is, because as proven by critor and I, we can flash arbitrary OS onto it. So far, I'm the only person who took advantage of that capability, using standard C/C++ tooling targeting the ARM ISA, in a bare-metal, freestanding environment. That's a real shame.
Nobody bested my man-day of work on that PoC (which means both Proof of Concept and Piece of Crap here). I get to criticize my own work as much as I want, and I can safely state that in absolute terms, what I did thoroughly sucks, though in relative terms, it's the only program of its kind on that platform :)

For over a year and a half, we've all known what needs to be done with leveraging the Prime's power for our own purposes. However, nobody does it, due to lack of time and low user base, which raises lack of interest in the platform.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

novenary

Yeah it's a real shame. I'd love to play around with it. I have some experience with bare metal arm, the soc is heavily documented so it shouldn't be a big issue besides getting the hardware (I don't have that much money).

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Lionel Debroux on May 14, 2015, 11:52:21 AM
Like the Nspire, the Prime is tailored for school and exam testing usage. HP devs will have the duty to close arbitrary native code execution holes in the standard OS, Cyrille de Brébisson was on public record about that. HP will simply not release a native code SDK for the Prime...

However, the Prime remains a far more open calculator than the Nspire is, because as proven by critor and I, we can flash arbitrary OS onto it. So far, I'm the only person who took advantage of that capability, using standard C/C++ tooling targeting the ARM ISA, in a bare-metal, freestanding environment. That's a real shame.
Nobody bested my man-day of work on that PoC (which means both Proof of Concept and Piece of Crap here). I get to criticize my own work as much as I want, and I can safely state that in absolute terms, what I did thoroughly sucks, though in relative terms, it's the only program of its kind on that platform :)

For over a year and a half, we've all known what needs to be done with leveraging the Prime's power for our own purposes. However, nobody does it, due to lack of time and low user base, which raises lack of interest in the platform.
Yeah it's a shame that not more people are interested in hacking the calc. On the other hand, there are probably some people who think hacking it is useless because of how powerful HP PPL is. Just look at how smooth Mineprime smoothscrolling is.

I personally am not as upset that HP locked the HP Prime down than I was with the TI-Nspire, because they at least did the effort to give us a good alternative. TI took 4 years before finally doing it and while Lua has improved a lot since then, it still has some annoying limitations that can hinder speed considerably.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

That's true, but low level languages aren't only a matter of speed. :P Asm can be pretty fun to mess with, even on ARM.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah true. However, seeing how few hardcore ASM coders there are on Z80 calcs compared to BASIC/Axe programmers and how much smaller the HP Prime programming fanbase is compared to TI-z80's, I bet that there are probably like 3 or 4 people who are really interested in hacking the HP Prime and maybe not even one of them have the time to do it.

alexgt

Hacking would be cool but I don't want HP to lock it down like the NSpire. And \/
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 14, 2015, 04:17:28 PM
Yeah it's a shame that not more people are interested in hacking the calc. On the other hand, there are probably some people who think hacking it is useless because of how powerful HP PPL is. Just look at how smooth Mineprime smoothscrolling is.
To put that is perspective about MinePrime I display two GROBs that are each 1600x800 in size 16 times to do the smooth scrolling. Sadly I tried using a 320x240 GROB but copying to it was too slow :(.

EDIT: To say the truth if there were exploits out I would definitely use them :P
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah I see. Lua cannot use such GROB IIRC so you have to redraw the map parts shown on the screen frame by frame, one tile by one. But even in HP PPL doing this would be faster than Lua I think. I wish that they made a 400 MHz Nspire CX with 256 MB of Flash.

Snektron

But isn't HPPPL compiled anyway? and since Lua is interperted you'd HPPPL to run faster anyway
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Adriweb

Having TI use LuaJIT would be a great step forward already.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Dream of Omnimaga

Also it would be nice if their Lua didn't remove many commands (although it's ok I guess if they have to remove some to respect exam regulations), so that people who learn Lua for computer programming have an easier time porting their programs to the calculator. Would LuaJIT automatically do that?

novenary

Quote from: alexgt on May 14, 2015, 08:11:33 PM
EDIT: To say the truth if there were exploits out I would definitely use them :P
Well, there's no need for exploits on the prime. You can run arbitrary code just by replacing the OS, which the calculator isn't locked against at all unlike the Nspire. I already suggested a preloaded that can load either the OS or custom code, but since I do not own the calc I can't do it myself.