Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

What if TI calcs were still as popular today as they were in 2004

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, October 23, 2018, 12:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Well, they didn't even allow quadratic solvers anymore in 2004. xd

(although later they started doing it again because there was a quadratic solver sub-folder). But there was also a sub-folder just for Pokémon text-based clones, Dragon Ball text-based clones, Pokémon clones with graphics and Dragon Ball clones with graphics.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Caleb Hansberry

• Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+SE, TI-84+SE, TI-85, TI-89, TI-99/4A
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: HP Portable Plus 110, Toshiba T3100, Toshiba T5200, GRiD 1660, TI-99/4A, Apple IIgs, and much more than I can list here

Travis

Somehow this sort of reminds me of one time during the first week of June 2011 where one person suddenly uploaded something like 300–400 files to ticalc.org, all at once and without warning. We had to order an emergency evacuation I think it took me about a week or two to finish processing them. It turned out that over 2/3 of the files were actually duplicates, though, uploaded separately for each compatible calculator, because the uploader didn't know about requesting links. I finally emailed him and let him know about it so he wouldn't have to spend his life filling out three times more upload forms than he had to, haha. Fun times.
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-82, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, TI-89 Titanium, 2 × HP 50g

Dream of Omnimaga

Although this is a lot of files, the fact it took up to two weeks to process them reminded me about how archeological the ticalc.org "admin panel" is. Although I have never seen it myself, I often heard that it was essentially command console-based.

Travis

Yeah, the main file processing program is an ncurses terminal app and looks something like this. Then there's a completely separate web-based admin section for managing screenshots, comments, and miscellaneous things. The most amazingly exciting part of processing pending files is having to wait 15 seconds for the antivirus thing to run first—even if there are 0 files in the pending queue to actually scan. :P

On a more serious note, pending files aren't that bad because in most cases they don't take much longer to approve/reject than it takes me to take a quick look to see if they seem okay. Occasionally things get more complicated like if someone gave the file a name that already exists in the archive. The real pain is moving files. With the "fa" tool, it has to be done one at a time, and if the file has any links it can't be moved at all (unless you manually write down all the links, remove them, move the file, then recreate all the links again, one by one). I eventually got so sick of that that once I learned enough about how the DB backend and fa worked I started writing my own scripts on the server to be able to move groups of files at once, even linked ones.
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-82, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, TI-89 Titanium, 2 × HP 50g

Dream of Omnimaga

Damn, no wonder why you had troubles hiring file archivers in the past. xd But it's fun and impressive to see how the backend of a website implemented 20 years ago with minimal changes ever since can still work today. (Also sorry for the late post, I am going through unread topics and I had many)

Also lol at the Voyage 400 reference XD (anybody remembers that april fools joke?)

DarkestEx

• Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Travis

Oh... I think this is finally my chance to say, "Holy necropost, Batman!"
* Travis runs

I somehow completely missed DJ's reply until now anyway, and I didn't even remember this thread until I saw the picture I posted of the ticalc.org archive interface, haha. Also, I realized I made a mistake in the screenshot and forgot to change one of the instances of "v200" to "v400". Darn. Now everyone knows the V400 reference is fake. :P

DarkestEx

Quote from: Travis on October 19, 2019, 11:28:47 PMOh... I think this is finally my chance to say, "Holy necropost, Batman!"
* Travis runs

I somehow completely missed DJ's reply until now anyway, and I didn't even remember this thread until I saw the picture I posted of the ticalc.org archive interface, haha. Also, I realized I made a mistake in the screenshot and forgot to change one of the instances of "v200" to "v400". Darn. Now everyone knows the V400 reference is fake. :P
Gotta keep the site alive somehow. It's an entire necropost otherwise :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, on any dying calculator website, necroposting rules pretty much becomes irrelevant. Also MaxCoderz has new posts O.O

Yuki

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah it's mostly dead and has been pretty much disbanded a decade ago, but tr1p1ea still posts some project updates there and some old members recently showed up to say hi. Ironically, MaxCoderz has far better server uptime now than when it was still alive.

Travis

Yeah, I was kidding around. Admittedly, I haven't been following calc forums much either, both due to lack of activity and my having moved on to other communities/projects. In general, it seems like there's been a sort of trend away from forums and toward IRC and now Discord, as I see a fair amount of activity there in a lot of places despite relatively little forum activity.