Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Tourn II

Started by 123outerme, August 28, 2016, 08:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123outerme

Coming soon to an online download near you...
(I think)

For those who don't remember what Tourn was (and I'm glad for that), it was a TI-84+CSE fighting game using ASCII characters and the Celtic II text-color-altering commands. I'm glad to be remaking it with proper sprites. Instead of bland characters represented by the shape of their head (an O, Q, G, 0, A, or θ), I plan to use characters from my old games. Of course, most of my old games used ASCII characters, so there will definitely be a fake-ASCII character as well. More info about the planned fighters, stages, and more coming soon.

The white tiles displayed after the initial "punch" animation are combo attacks. I haven't yet added the sprites for them yet. No collision has been implemented as of yet.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

I like the upgrade in graphics, especially the varied terrain textures. As for the characters, I like that you went with larger ones. I'm curious about what you'll come up with in terms of character attack animations and stuff. How will combos work?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

Is that tiny baby-trees in the grass? :D  They're a bit small I guess ;D
But I like tha graphics, too ^^ Now add some amazing animated pixelstuff for fighting and I'm gonna buy it ^^  :thumbsup:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

kotu

Looks brilliant

Why does it flicker? Can't you doublebuffer in TI_BASIC?
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: p2 on August 29, 2016, 08:26:04 AM
But I like tha graphics, too ^^ Now add some amazing animated pixelstuff for fighting and I'm gonna buy it ^^  :thumbsup:
Actuallty I think they're normal trees, but I agree that they're a bit small compared to the characters, unless the latter are mech-type fighters. Maybe he could re-use my Reuben Quest trees and put a string of leaves at the bottom?

Quote from: kotu on August 30, 2016, 12:08:14 AM
Looks brilliant

He can, by using xLIBC's double-buffer commands, but the emulator screenshot feature will still produce flicker no matter what. In CE games I have the same problem, where even with almost invisible flicker, in the screenshots it's severe enough to be annoying.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

MateoConLechuga

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 30, 2016, 03:48:07 AMHe can, by using xLIBC's double-buffer commands, but the emulator screenshot feature will still produce flicker no matter what. In CE games I have the same problem, where even with almost invisible flicker, in the screenshots it's severe enough to be annoying.
*Poke* CEmu issue? Also, have you tried decreasing the frame skip amount? By default CEmu only records every third frame, you can easily customize this though ;)

Dream of Omnimaga

I usually try multiple settings, but most still gives more flicker than through normal emulation or on the real calculator. Maybe the capture rate is just out of sync with the emulator frame rate? It's not a serious issue, though, it just makes the screenshots not do the original game's justice.

The weird part is that I often saw it happen with double-buffered ASM and xLIBC games in the past too, even if they were flickerless. So I started to wonder if CEmu was using jsTIfied screenshot  capabilities lol. :P

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 29, 2016, 06:09:39 AM
I like the upgrade in graphics, especially the varied terrain textures. As for the characters, I like that you went with larger ones. I'm curious about what you'll come up with in terms of character attack animations and stuff. How will combos work?
Yeah, I agree 2 sprites per character is nice. Character attack animations will mostly draw from the game(s) they were based on (except for the astronaut dude, I have a scrapped game with really good tiles that I wanted to use. Not much of that game was made yet).  Probably the first punch will be longer range, 2nd hit a little less, 3rd even less. At any time after the 2nd punch I plan to make it so you can end the combo with a kick. You have to be closer to the opponent to hit with all 3 *punches* (which gives them more time to hit you) so it's a risk/reward deal. Hopefully, that is.

Quote from: p2 on August 29, 2016, 08:26:04 AM
The trees were just an idea to make it so that it wasn't a wall of that plain grass texture. I like to think of them more as bushes.
I do intend to add fancy pixelstuff.

Quote from: kotu on August 30, 2016, 12:08:14 AM
Looks brilliant

I can, and I'm doing that exact thing. Unfortunately, emulation isn't 100% accurate when it comes to screen timings.

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way, do you use the sprite command that lets you display multiple sprites at once? That might be better than displaying sprites separately one by one. As for the animations do you mean the characters are based from previous games you made, Smash Bros style? I like the moves idea by the way. Good luck!

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 31, 2016, 06:38:42 AM
By the way, do you use the sprite command that lets you display multiple sprites at once? That might be better than displaying sprites separately one by one. As for the animations do you mean the characters are based from previous games you made, Smash Bros style? I like the moves idea by the way. Good luck!
Yes, thankfully I do. Otherwise, it'd probably look to staggered to be playable. And yes, the characters are based on previous games (or in the case of the astronaut, previous projects). I thought the moves thing would give the game some element of skill without making it a flowchart fighter kinda like my others, where you always want to, for example, punch -> laser in the first Tourn, or something.

Dream of Omnimaga

I think drawing sprites separately isn't too much of a speed drain with such small amount of sprites, but for a real-time action game you need every bit of speed you can get, so in your case it matters. I'm now curious about how your other 8x8 or ASCII characters will look like in 8x16. :)

Also xLIBC's support for multiple keypresses might be handy for special moves. For the HUD you could try using rectangles and make the HUD look a bit like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 31, 2016, 06:55:49 PM
I think drawing sprites separately isn't too much of a speed drain with such small amount of sprites, but for a real-time action game you need every bit of speed you can get, so in your case it matters. I'm now curious about how your other 8x8 or ASCII characters will look like in 8x16. :)

Also xLIBC's support for multiple keypresses might be handy for special moves. For the HUD you could try using rectangles and make the HUD look a bit like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat.
Yeah, but like you said, you don't ever have enough speed in a CSE game :P
Also yeah, I'm looking forward to designing the last character. By the way, thanks for reminding me of the multiple keypresses thing. I could implement a more in-depth control scheme (at least for performing specials, like you said). I'm also looking forward to designing the HUD, since I remember an accurate health bar was one of the troubles of some of my other fighting games, and here it'll be a breeze.

Dream of Omnimaga

For an acurate health bar, you could just use a fixed amount of HP, but different attack/defense attributes for each character. Or you could just take the character's HP and divide it in a way that it always ends up being the size of the energy bar. I think the former idea might be easier, though.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 02, 2016, 03:01:31 AM
For an acurate health bar, you could just use a fixed amount of HP, but different attack/defense attributes for each character. Or you could just take the character's HP and divide it in a way that it always ends up being the size of the energy bar. I think the former idea might be easier, though.
To make it easy, I'll probably give everyone X HP, and every time it goes down 1, it visually goes down 1 pixel. The defense and attack things are what I used for all of my fighting games, I'm pretty sure, so I'll probably do that too. If I can, I'm going to try to give every move from every character it's own range. IE, one character has more range but does less damage or knockback, and one has less range but does more damage/knockback. That way, you can choose a character that can play it safe, or do a lot of damage when up close. I think it'd be possible to do.

An interesting (sort of troll/joke) element could be to add Phantom hits, like in Melee, where if the move's hitbox and a character's hurtbox are aligned so a tangent line can run through, it does half damage and no knockback. If I implemented such a troll idea, it would be if a hitbox whiffed by a pixel.

Dream of Omnimaga

Just don't make HP drop by 1 at a time when you take like 10 damage, though, else that will generate lag, although the bar dropping gradually might look cool. As for knockback, maybe some characters could have an higher chance of falling down and/or take longer to get back up. Don't make it too complicated, though, lol.