Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

CodeWalrus to reopen its doors

Started by Yuki, March 04, 2015, 03:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

Well, that was quick. As we said, we had some staff departures today:

- aeTIos lacks the time to do any admining, he therefore resigns;
- Streetwalrus don't have any time either, he takes a hiatus and may come back to the position at a later date.

So we're now in severe understaffing, as a result, we decided to close the site and made a closing post. However, as we decided the fate of the website, we concluded the best course of action would actually to leave it open for as long as I can afford hosting it... So it is my pleasure to welcome you back to CodeWalrus, but it's not without some changes:

- Juju is appointed Supreme Overlord of CodeWalrus (er, wait, that sound's a little scary... Let's just say I'm the head honcho here). I takeover the website and I'll pay for it with my economies and the free credits I have left in my account. If you feel generous enough to help, I take Paypal and credit over here :P

On the goal of the site, CodeWalrus gives programmers, artists, hardware and software hackers and the like a fun hangout to discuss together between geeks of projects in progress or just whatever, not just about TI, but yeah pretty much everything. The same rules applies under what's left of the administration, so nothing illegal, although I advise crossposting your projects on our friends at Omnimaga and Cemetech.

So, welcome back on CodeWalrus!
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Unicorn

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!
Thats great! :D
I realy like the environment here, an the people. I am really glad that CodeWalrus will stay for the time being.
So, the way to keep this cite open is to donate for server hosting? If you guys get more staff will it stay open indefinitly? (or more than a year?)
Time to change my sig again...
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

To be honest one reason why we lack a donation section was because the site was new and its future uncertain as a result. I don't want people to donate for a site that is not 100% guaranteed to remain open in long terms. This is why instead I just provided my music as alternative for donations. However, I have quit the music industry and terminated my Reverbnation digital distribution subscription a few hours ago (I already terminated three of my four music albums last Summer, but I kept the most profitable one on iTunes until now), so my music will be free from now on (it will still be possible to donate while downloading it but money will no longer go to the site unless I decide to donate myself in the future)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Well, it's not this expensive and I can pay it from my pockets for the time being. And it's already paid for the next 5 months or so, so that's not a problem right now.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

*Ahem* Patreon?

Edit : Well, you stressed me quite a lot, I must say
(-_(//)); Oh well I had a strange yet fun last night so it made up for the fear you induced into me.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

Yay! :D

Also i got some codes for some server hoster (123systems)
: 50% and 40% for life :) so a $60/yr server suddenly costs about €30, which is quite nice (-_(//));
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

(-_(//)); I'm offering my services as hoster. I'm going to use something like Dockr to make it independant but I don't really know about the performances.

I have a 4-core VPS (around 2Ghz, it's a virtual thing) with 160GB of SSD and 4GB RAM.

Dream of Omnimaga

Considering the good reputation that DigitalOcean got I think the ideal scenario would be to keep the site there and if hosting payments becomes an issue then people can donate or juju can opt out of the backup features which is an extra $2 a month. But of course if anyone is guaranteed a long-term free host with good uptime that can run a website with WalrusIRC simultaneously then that could do the job. The current account has 30 GB of diskspace, a single core processor and 1 GB of RAM.

It requires PHP, though, because the site doesn't work with HHVM.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Haha, it's a Debian VPS. i set up ALL the things there are on Retroactive (except the Murmur server).

Dream of Omnimaga

In any case, what I suggest would be to set up auto backups off the server in case the host goes down or at least do manual backups of the files every week or so. I do this with the db and files myself in case something wrong was to happen. Technically another admin was supposed to do it but were finally unable to find a computer online 24/7 on which to do so. I am suggesting that because of what happened to Cemetech hosting provider in August 2007, Revsoft in 2011 and more recently Casiopeia (although at least Casiopeia had no data loss)

Ideally juju should probably have access to the CW and WalrusIRC folders too. I would prefer not for myself, except maybe the Sources/, other/ and Themes/* directories in case I update the theme at one point.

岩倉 澪

Was pretty surprised to see this topic since I hadn't seen the other topic first :P

Glad that codewalrus won't be disappearing, I really like the community here and came here rather than omnimaga because some of the community members I remembered and respected well were here, and it is really nice to have a small and friendly place to discuss code/game dev projects. :)

If juju needs help with keeping it up in the future I'd be more than happy to donate to help pay the costs

aetios

I'm also more than fine with donating. Maybe I can ask keoni to transfer my money to juju via paypal, because my parents won't let me <_< Isn't the cost about $10/mo?
ceci n'est pas une signature

tr1p1ea

I'm more than happy to support the cause ... but yes I would also like to know roughly what the site requires per month to run? And if there are any yearly discounts etc?

Also taking a leaf out of MC's book ... the site has basically fallen off the face of the earth, but its still open. Due to spambots we disabled new user registrations which probably hurt us a bit ... but its still open as a resource and stuff. I am virtually the only semi-active member but its cool.

I personally think that Codewalrus is a great place. It also gives me the motivation to work on my xLIBC BASIC RPG ... or even the Zelda demo :>.

I also love the mascot sprite, especially the eyes hehe :D.

Yuki

Yeah, kinda why I took over instead of closing it as DJ initially wanted, everyone likes this place and our mascot is cute... :P

For the hosting it's $12/month + $10/year, it's not that expensive.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

pimathbrainiac

Good to see the site keep going. I hope this can continue into the future.
Well, I'm bach here too!