Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[C and/or/maybe/?/The Game/ Axe] Hinawa Battle Engine

Started by Duke "Tape" Eiyeron, November 25, 2014, 07:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

And only the step further, because cranking the thing up to eleven won't help neither. Hello, programming stalling :w00t:
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

I don't know if I get what you mean, but if you mean avoiding starting massive projects that are way beyond your programming level (for example a newbie starting a Zelda clone) then I agree with you.  There are exceptions, of course, but most of the time we tend to get disappointed by such project when they die.

On a side note do you still plan to create a full clone of Earthbound even if it's small?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yeah, even though it won't be an EArthbound, it'll be a RPG. I'm having some plans, ideas for the game itself. As usual, I'm targetting something too big, but if one day I finish it... :3

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok good to hear. IMHO the best way to start, though, for an RPG, is just have like three dungeons that you beat one after another and a place to save/heal yourself, such as a mini map. Or you could do the classic elemental crystal story mode where you defeat a boss in 4 elemental dungeon before beating the final foe at the center of the map, but using an Earthbound-like battle engine. Then once complete you can re-use the engine for more complex games.

You could even do a remake of the first Illusiat based on Illusiat 2004, but then that would mean 1 vs 1 battles. Unless it was basically Illusiat Revisited where a group of warriors must visit the Illusiat 1 dungeon several decades after the events of Illusiat 1? :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Or having already an idea on what could happen or how it would happen. I won't spoil the thing I want to do but I can't already give some pointers about what I'd like to do:

- Era : today
- Main location : a big city.
- Atmoshpere : gritty, a bit sordid, not your usual happy RPG world

It'll need quite some work to determine what should it contains, the scenario and all the bell and whistles but that's not my priority yet.

Oh, This is becoming more and more heavy, do I need a whole subforum? ... Not yet but that idea is on the  "to think about it later" list.

Dream of Omnimaga

So that city would be Detroit, Michigan, in the United States? :P

It already looks post-apocalyptic because population went from 2 million in 1950 to 700000 in 2010 and there are entire neighboorhoods that are empty and got reclaimed by nature. I mean, most downtowns in North America suffered from urban sprawl, leaving the downtown core empty, but Detroit is by far the worst I think.

If you search for Detroit abandoned or ghetto in Google, what you will see is pretty much what you see in a post-apocalyptic sci-fi movie. :P

As for sub-forum I guess this would be a nice addition, although it might be best to wait until there is a proof of concept for at least one platform (excluding the Axe version since you planned to restart the 83+ version from scratch). Sub-forums can be for any platform, although PC/Android stuff has to be game-related (an actual game or a development tool)

novenary

Quote from: Eiyeron on December 06, 2014, 04:50:42 PM
- Atmoshpere : gritty, a bit sordid, not your usual happy RPG world
This is what I love the most about Twilight Princess. That game was epic, it's a really nice approach for RPGs. :)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yeah, I heard some joke about Detroit's look. I'd like a pre-apocalyptic setting. Just before *that* happens. The last day of a rotten civilization. Where the conclusion -oops I'm saying too much, as I don't even have the engine done! ^^ I don't want to have a "Mother" written in the name but the mechanics are the same. I'd like to see how a darker game or setting would fit to the engine. Mother, when not about family or love, is first a silly story. When you play the games you admit the sillyness and make it part the world. How could one explain in a more realist world silly things like photographs falling from the sky to take a picture and GI back to the sky? Or when one fight an enemy a LSD-like background appear! :) These games bring a light message (except Mother 3, f*** the ending), I'd like to bring a not-so-hapoy one, bring some characters in a deep noir city and watch them struggle to survive.

Matref, if you read this, do you want to work with me on the engine and port the code to Nspire? :p

Dream of Omnimaga

Before apocalypse would be more like to prevent it from happening or saving people?

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

There would be an incentive to prevent it. How it will end is left to the scenario I haven't touched ( but I have an idea! :o)

novenary

I could help you port it to the Nspire, if I'm not too busy with my other projects. :P

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

But first, the engine is still have to be done first, so if you don't mind working on that too, I would be happy to have some help for this project ! :D

novenary

Well I have my own engines and toolchains to write so I'll have to refuse the offer. :P

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

novenary

Yes they do. I wanna get a toolchain going for Illusiat so that I can code on my PC instead of my calc. Better editing comfort and debugger in the emulator. :D