Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Macintosh PowerBook 190cs [Fix?]

Started by Unicorn, June 05, 2015, 05:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unicorn

Well, I just acquired a Macintosh PowerBook 190cs. It seems like the place where the power cord is plugged in is not connected well enough. When wiggling the connection around, the screen occasionally flashes yellow.

Anyways, I was thinking, could this be fixed? I'm going to open it up and take some pictures tomorrow.

So, yeah, It might be cool to have around. :D
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

I think this could probably be fixed if it's just the cord, if you know how to do it, but I am more curious about what are the specs of that machine. Also @Caleb Hansberry likes old computers :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

I don't think it is the cord, it seems like the jack for the cord is the culprit.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Unicorn

Bump.

I took it apart and took some pictures, and it seems the battery was corroded and the screen leaked some sort of fluid.

Imgur album here: http://m.imgur.com/0Hjn8Dh,4g0kxgq,5Bgt6by,w96VqVL,gFCr0Fh,x1gKlww,yQxXISt

Individual pics here:

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Ivoah

Well, even if you did fix it, there wouldn't be much you could do with it. It doesn't even have a PowerPC processor, so no linux, and the latest Mac OS it can run is Mac OS 8.1
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Unicorn

I don't think that was necessary, as you posted that on cemetech, but, it would be pretty cool to have lying around!

I also pretty much broke the case, so it's not going back together again the way it came. :P

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Does the fluid means the PowerBook is now dead for good? Or did it manage to not hit important parts?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Well, I think the screen is probably broken, but I think I could make it work, if It doesn't require a battery.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???