Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap remake

Started by JamesV, September 12, 2017, 06:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesV

For anyone here who was a Sega Master System owner back in the 80's, or even if you just appreciate retro platform gaming, then I think you'll enjoy this which I happened to stumble across recently. The classic game, Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, has been remade for PC, PS4 and Xbox One! Along with porting over the classic graphics and 8-bit audio, there is also beautiful new HD hand drawn style graphics and updated music/sound. I'm yet to purchase and play it myself, but I played the original many times when I was younger, and I'm looking forward to giving it another go with the updated look.

Dream of Omnimaga

I was contemplating buying it when it gets cheaper. I got Wonder boy in Monster Land personally.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JamesV

Quote from: xlibman on September 13, 2017, 03:03:21 PM
I was contemplating buying it when it gets cheaper. I got Wonder boy in Monster Land personally.
I'll definitely be buying it at some stage, but I'm forcing myself to wait until I get a few work projects finished first. Otherwise Wonder Boy will distract me too much! :P

On the SMS, we had Wonder Boy (the original) and Wonder Boy in Monster Land, and we used to rent out the Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap cartridge regularly from the local video store. I often contemplated trying to adapt the original over to the TI-83(+) monochrome calculators over the years but never had a go at it. It would be more feasible now with the TI-84+CE, so maybe one day! And given that the SMS ran on a z80, I could try disassembling the original ROM and just straight porting it.

Dream of Omnimaga

A remake or port of the original would be awesome :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U