Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Back-to-school calculator program releases

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, August 31, 2015, 02:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

As school approaches, people are getting their calculator out of the drawer or are buying one. Then comes the increase in game download stats that is normally seen in August. Although Summer is usually very quiet in the TI community, there are still some notable releases every month. In August, as reported previously, CodeWalrus saw the release of First Fantasy for the TI-84 Plus CE, a Final Fantasy clone which came out in April for the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition and was actually a remake of the Mana Force RPG released 13 years before for monochrome calculators. However, let's see what else the TI community had in store for you in the last few weeks:

OS 5.1 update (TI-84+CE) https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=17102
-Although it isn't out yet, OS 5.1 is arriving for the TI-84 Plus CE and TI-83 Premium CE calculators. On both models, this OS will fix the Menu() bug and add an extra 0 for results that have decimals. Instead of .42 you'll now see 0.42. This update also fixes quartiles issues on the 83 Premium CE by adding a mode that complies with France education standards.

Tetric A (TI-84+CE port) https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11842
-KermMartian has ported his TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition Tetris clone to the TI-84 Plus CE. In 2012, he released Tetrizm on the fx-CG10/20 calculator models, then in 2013 it was renamed to Tetric A and ported to the CSE.  The CE version plays identically.

Zelda Souls (TI-Nspire) https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=17062
-LinkWebmaster has released a Zelda spinoff for the TI-Nspire CX. Written in Lua, this game plays a bit differently than your typical Zelda: It is basically a time attack game and you only start with half a life and 1 arrow. You have a bow and no sword, although some magic can be used. So get ready for extreme challenges. The game also features graphics similar to the NES Zelda, although the dungeons use graphics from later games.

ScummVM (TI-Nspire) https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=670.0
-This virtual manager, ported by Gameblabla, allows you to play LucasArts games on your TI-Nspire. Games that are supported are for example The Secret of Monkey Island and the sequel.

Super Methane Brothers (TI-Nspire) https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=670.0
-A SDL arcade platformer game ported by Gameblabla. The gameplay is very similar to Bubble Bobble.

Another World Bytecode Interpreter (TI-Nspire) https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=670.0
-This program, ported by Gameblabla to the TI-Nspire, lets you play the classic game Out of this World (A.K.A. Another World in Europe) on your calculator. This game from the early 90's featured a 3D engine. Note that in order to play, you will need to solve some copyright protection puzzle, as this news article explains.

Meanwhile, despite the annual calculator forums activity lull, CodeWalrus still managed to get very close to 2000 posts this month (including lost data), with between 8 and 15 people contributing each day. We hope that new and existing calculator owners, as well as programmers in general will continue to make CodeWalrus (and the calculator community of course) one of their place to hang out, showcase their programs, art and more.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Great new releases! This makes me wish I had spent more time on nagoji and moneywalrus so far. Welp, I need to stop finding random sid projects, and actually work on them.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Expect some actual progress on my projects once school starts
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Adriweb

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 31, 2015, 02:53:06 AMOS 5.1 update (TI-84+CE) [...] Instead of .42 you'll now see 0.42.
Actually, we don't know if that's for the 83PCE only?
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh right, I am unsure. I don't see why it wouldn't be added to the American model, though, since it would be more convenient, display-wise. I always found it akward when calcs displayed .42 instead of 0.42, because in real life we rarely type decimal numbers without the zero.
Quote from: alexgt on August 31, 2015, 06:39:41 PM
Not to nitpick, but you have told us over and over to expect project updates soon for at least three months now. I'll believe it when I see it. :P

Unicorn

Oops, I meant side. And my most recent side project is done, so maybe I'll get something done now. :P
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

I can't wait to try your new stuff :)

On a side note, I wonder if in October CodeWalrus will get that massive wave of necroposting that Omni got almost every year just before halloween? <_<

alexgt

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 01, 2015, 02:48:57 AM
Oh right, I am unsure. I don't see why it wouldn't be added to the American model, though, since it would be more convenient, display-wise. I always found it akward when calcs displayed .42 instead of 0.42, because in real life we rarely type decimal numbers without the zero.
Quote from: alexgt on August 31, 2015, 06:39:41 PM
Not to nitpick, but you have told us over and over to expect project updates soon for at least three months now. I'll believe it when I see it. :P
The main side track is that I am doing cross country for school and I mostly wear shorts that cannot fit my calc and in school I mostly wear jeans that can hold my calc (last year there was only one or two days that I didn't have my calc at school and that was from forgetting) so mostly the lack of activity and coding is from what I wear xD

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol I see. I hope you aren't cross-countrying 5 days a week :P (or that you live in colder climate area and won't be wearing shorts soon :P). It would suck if a notable calculator project died only because of clothes O.O

alexgt

Well I will have practice everyday after school but we will be able to change into shorts before hand, I will take my calc to school EVERY day I possibly can ;P

Unicorn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 02, 2015, 04:05:59 AM
I can't wait to try your new stuff :)

On a side note, I wonder if in October CodeWalrus will get that massive wave of necroposting that Omni got almost every year just before halloween? <_<
Thanks!

Probably not, hopefully O.O

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Adriweb

Quote from: Adriweb on August 31, 2015, 07:10:40 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 31, 2015, 02:53:06 AMOS 5.1 update (TI-84+CE) [...] Instead of .42 you'll now see 0.42.
Actually, we don't know if that's for the 83PCE only?
Well, now we know. OS 5.1 for the 83PCE and 84+CE have just been released, and indeed, the zero before the dot is there too, as the changelog says.

Edit:
Since OS 5.1 is now publicly released, I've started an unofficial changelog (since the official ones doesn't details what they fixed...) here: https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=17147

Among the first post's list, here's what's fixed.
- [ANNOYING] Although the Menu( command accepts 9 options + 1 title (instead of the old 7 options + 1 title), the last two options appear as ??, and choosing those options causes an ERR:LABEL. (2/23/2013)
- [ANNOYING] [ALPHA]-scrolling the BASIC editor scrolls by 7 lines, not 9. (2/26/2013)
- [ANNOYING] Three characters are incorrectly drawn in small font: [, λ, and μ. Screenshot and details are in this topic. (12/13/2014)

Other fixes include:
- The exact math engine now correctly displays the values when using Output(
- TI-Basic parser-related crash with a specific command sequences
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks for posting this. :) I am glad that the ALPA scrolling and menu bugs were fixed. I didn't know about the third bug, though, same for the TI-BASIC parser crash (although I did get random crashes when trying to create large strings sometimes)