Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Trump's Presidency marks the end of the world! (says the internet)

Started by p2, November 09, 2016, 01:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 10, 2016, 06:59:11 AM
Also I didn't know the Shinzo Abe thing O.o
You might remember him as the prime minister of Japan who notably took a pipe to Rio as Mario to attend the Olympic closing ceremonies.

Another notable stunt by a chief of state would also be the Queen of England falling down an helicopter with James Bond at London 2012.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

p2

it has begun...

But also:
Quote from: Putin"Russia is ready and wants to restore the full fledged relations to the United States. I repeat: we understand that this will be a difficult way but we are ready to play our part in it."
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Scipi

Quote from: p2 on November 10, 2016, 10:15:33 AM
it has begun...

But also:
Quote from: Putin"Russia is ready and wants to restore the full fledged relations to the United States. I repeat: we understand that this will be a difficult way but we are ready to play our part in it."

It's tragic, though I'm not surprised with the sheer emotional charging and fear mongering that went on with this campaign. What's worst is it seems the LGBT community doesn't have a whole lot to fear from Trump himself. On election night, his policies on LGBT rights (as well as Planned Parenthood) were removed. The Republican controlled house and senate might try something, but Trump seems unconcerned either way on the issue. At least on an official basis.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, basically Trump's stance about LGBT was no gay marriage and the trans bathroom usage. Not much different from past presidents other than Obama overall.

Pence, on the other hand...
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Scipi

The only silver lining with Pence is that officially the VP's role is only to resolve tie-breakers in the Senate. But if anything happens to Trump, it'll be Pence who we get as President.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way, I never really understood much anything about free trade agreements and I don't feel like reading a massive wall of text full of words that only lawyers can understand. Generally speaking, is a free trade agreement required in  order for international companies to do business in another country? Or does it just increase that business? Or does it force multinationals like Walmart to sell a certain percentage of Canadian goods at their Canadian stores?

I am wondering, because I would hate if Trump went all-out with his protectionist measures and that it resulted into Microsoft, Apple, Walmart, McDonald's, etc, being forced to exit Canada and stop selling their Xbox or iPads, whatever over here. Or could it be that he wants the agreement to be one-way, with American companies being allowed to sell stuff in Canada but disallow Canadian ones to sell stuff in USA?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Yeah, free trade agreements are a bit hard to understand and there's a lot of legal oddities and details to figure out, but it pretty boild down to this: free trade. As in, members of the agreement should have their import/export rules relaxed for each other, at least compared to other countries. Trump probably finds those rules a bit too relaxed (especially when the agreement involves Mexico) or there's one of those details he finds a bit too liberal. It's kinda complex and you'll probably need a Ph. D. in law to understand all of that.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Well if it's just that then it's not that bad. It could probably help some distressed regions although I think the problem for many cities is corruption and failing to shift to different industries and sectors. Detroit is an example. But I hope he doesn't restrict trade too much to the point where it ruins all economies around USA.

p2

A fictional trade agreement with fictional points:

in america the lights for a car have to be green and be 6cm big
in europe they have to be blue and 4cm big
so now the car producers have to create two different cases to put the lights in and can't freely sell teir lights everywhere because they have the wrong color.
So now we make an agreement saying the new lights shall be red and 5cm big. Europe and america agree. They can now trade with the lights.
Also they agree to get rid of extra taxes for shipping lights.
the car producers can now safe money and sell more lights.
the people now have to use red lights.

how much good there will be from trade agreements? I dont know.
Afterall it would most likely only be the biggest companies making more money while the smaller local ones dont profit from them at all.
But the big problem (why many were against them) is that they change a lot of production standards (safety standards, standards for healthy food, for non-toxic stuff in electronics, ...)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

Unicorn

• Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Yuki

@p2 it's more about getting every car manufacturer to comply to the same standard than something about trade, but of course it would help. Since Canada is literally next to the US and it's the easiest country to import things from, they will want to comply to the same standards as the US, no matter what. The trade thing is more about getting American manufacturers to install themselves in Canada and contribute to the Canadian economy and vice-versa.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

WholeWheatBagels

Living in another world to you.

Also in case you were wondering Frankie did go to Hollywood

Dream of Omnimaga

@p2 ah right, like how buses built for use in Canada must  have a certain percentage of Canadian content

p2

yeah it's simply to make trading easier by using the same standards everywhere ^^
but the problem is exactly those standards (like GMOs coming to Europe and stuff like that.
Also they only help the biggest companies like cars and stuff like that while the small regional buissneses even have negative effects...
so there's a lot of protest against them around here ^^

WholeWheatBagels

I can see where there would be some unrest if people dont like the standards proposed.
Living in another world to you.

Also in case you were wondering Frankie did go to Hollywood