Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Ryzen is out!

Started by c4ooo, February 22, 2017, 08:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4ooo

Well what do you guys think about it? Seems to be much higher performance for same cost. What i wonder is if intel prices will drop.

p2

could you add a link of what you're referring to plus maybe one or 2 sentences explaining it for those that don't know what it is? :) thx <3
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

novenary

The real bulldozer is here hehe. Dunno about you guys but I want it.

Here's for the details.

Dream of Omnimaga

I didn't hear about it until now since I don't follow the CPU scene much, but this sounds promising. That said, even if you got the best CPU around, if your graphic card sucks then even the best CPU in the world won't make your new games run perfectly when maxed out.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Yeah but that also applies the other way around. And a lot of people have other workloads than gaming like video editing and hardcore android compiling (me_irl). I don't really feel a compelling need to upgrade my gpu right now, but I do have a top of the line 2012 card. On the other hand, if I'm interested in speeding up my builds and just having an awesome PC in general. :P

c4ooo

I would like to see how KSP runs on ryzen. IIRC the latest versions of KSP can have multiple physics threads.

semiprocoder

Ok, I have been saying that Ryzen is going to be big for a while. Maybe around September is when I started realizing that.
There are two impacts(well more, but these I think are the most worth mentioning) I think Ryzen will have:
1. Obviously much lower prices. Similar to the Bulldozer family type scheme, with many cores at a cheaper price, except with actually good IPC. This will force intel to lower prices(I mean they already introduced a hyperthreaded pentium, which basically renders all i3 cpus to be completely overpriced).
2. Increased adoption of DX12 and Vulkan, at least in games. Since a good 8 core cpu can be bought at $329(and a 6 core cpu going as low as $229), this will greatly increase the number of people with more cores. Since DX12 and Vulkan use more cores more effectively, this will lead to developers wanting to utilize the immense power of up to 8 cores. I can certainly say right now that cpus are the true bottleneck for most games. I have a laptop with a 6700hq and a 1060, and a game like overwatch runs at around 100 fps whether I run it at epic settings or at the lowest settings(not that it doesn't utilize multiple cores, but 8 cores would certainly be beneficial to many games).
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

novenary

I have a 3770k and an HD 7970 and the GPU is clearly the bottleneck for me in most games. Granted, by now it's slower than a GTX 1060 or and RX470, but it's still a really really good GPU.

p2

looks like a rather famous tech guy got death threads after releasing a rather pessimist statement about the ryzen cpus... :ninja:
someone's definitely overdoing it there :ninja:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

Yuki

Death threats, eh? Looks like those PC builders fanboys makes it a big deal.

Anyway, yeah of course your program needs threading so it runs efficiently on these CPUs. Otherwise, it's pretty nice for runnings several things at the same time. And of course you need a good GPU if you're going to play games. GPUs have several more cores than a CPU, but you'd obviously won't try to run an operating system solely on these. And yeah CPUs like this are being more and more affordable. Kind of expected as things goes more and more powerful.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait what? I hope it's nothing like the Spyhunter antivirus incident (which did not involve a death threat from the company that made it, but rather a lawsuit, but still, it was over a negative review)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Ryzen is quite disappointing...
Someone ran some tests for games and the Intel core i7-7700k not only beats the AMD Ryzen, but it's also 150$ cheaper than the AMD Ryzen 1800...
Worse of all, it's much pricer and not much more powerful than the AMD FX 9370...
And that FX processor does not have that c known as AMD PSP !
At least i can strip off Intel ME from some skylake processors but not on AMD's Ryzen processors...

I'm the owner of an AMD FX 6300 with a gigabyte AM3+ motherboard and it's more interesting for me to buy a FX 9370 and a new cooler rather than Amd Ryzen with a new motherboard that comes with it.
Maybe prices will drop at some points though.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

p2

the death thread was about a report that the ryzen pretty much sucked in a particular job (idk what it was, only that it was said this wouldn't matter for gamers)
It wsa better at all gaming stuff but totally lost in one special thingy (dont remember sorry) and the guy then received a death thread for telling how cty ryzen was xD

novenary

Quote from: gameblabla on March 08, 2017, 05:08:48 AM
Ryzen is quite disappointing...
Someone ran some tests for games and the Intel core i7-7700k not only beats the AMD Ryzen, but it's also 150$ cheaper than the AMD Ryzen 1800...
Worse of all, it's much pricer and not much more powerful than the AMD FX 9370...
And that FX processor does not have that c known as AMD PSP !
At least i can strip off Intel ME from some skylake processors but not on AMD's Ryzen processors...

I'm the owner of an AMD FX 6300 with a gigabyte AM3+ motherboard and it's more interesting for me to buy a FX 9370 and a new cooler rather than Amd Ryzen with a new motherboard that comes with it.
Maybe prices will drop at some points though.
Crappy Lake has 20% higher single threaded performance than Ryzen thanks to a ~7% IPC lead and much higher clocks. Ryzen also suffers from a severe lack of optimization in games themselves which have been optimized for Intel platform for all these years. It's a brand new architecture and it will take a little bit of time before performance picks up. The results are still impressive and beyond anything bulldozer could ever dream of. It's faster than my Ivy Bridge i7, and I need the 8 cores for compiling so I'm definitely upgrading.

Also keep in mind that the 1700 overclocks just as well as the 1800X, but is slightly cheaper than a 7700k. This is the chip to buy. And that isn't even counting the SKUs with less cores that are coming up and should deliver similar gaming performance for much less money.

As for the IME and PSP, it looks like AMD is considering supporting coreboot directly, and possibly giving the community more control over the PSP. Considering their outstanding open source support, I have high hopes for this.