Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

General site updates, TODO list and discussion

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 12, 2014, 07:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

OmnomIRC is getting 504 Bad Gateway errors once in a while, anyone knows why?
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

I think that's when it takes too long to register a connection and timeouts. I have it happen every once in a while.

It might be worthwhile to investigate again into what might be causing such Omnom lag, especially considering the rest of the site runs perfectly. Is there a way in Firefox or on server-side to monitor what your internet is doing back and forth with the server, such as some console, so that you could probably track down the problem? I am illiterate about server stuff so I am not familiar if such tool is even possible at all, let alone exists.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Juju, can you tell your secret? How do you do that? That could interresting with good pictures!
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

Quote from: Eiyeron on January 13, 2015, 10:17:37 AM
Juju, can you tell your secret? How do you do that? That could interresting with good pictures!
it took me like 10 min to notice
EDIT:

[html]
[/html]

Only admins can use this though
theres also

[php]
[/php]

but this is only syntax highlighting i believe
EDIT 2:
[ html] and [php] are both syntax nvm
*bbcode hack googling intensifies* but it's probably some php easteregg we can't do
EDIT3:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/html_bbcode_mod/
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

I myself can't even use [html] because only full admins like juju, Street and pimath can. :P That said I am unsure if I am a  big fan of such signature, because it doesn't really give a good example to forum members when we encourage smaller sigs.  ;) That said, it could be one of the site's easter egg-type things, plus there is also the fact that it doesn't increase the post size considerably like if the image was placed in a signature on a forum with no signature scrollbars.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

[html] can embed HTML in your posts, but it's an admin-only feature. (For the record, SMF does not consider DJ Omnimaga and aeTIos admins.) I also thought [php] would run php code, but nope, it only does syntax highlighting. The picture in my signature has been done with the html tag and a little javascript to inject some background CSS in the current post. Also thanks to DJ for the idea to put some opacity in the background image. Yeah well I did something normal members can't do, so yeah I dunno, but at the same time it does not impact the signature size since the pic is not in the signature but as a post background. (Look how it goes below the text wow :P) So yeah, lil easter egg for you guys :P

For the record, AcmlmBoard and derivatives (ABXD, BlargBoard) lets you style your posts, put background pictures and stuff (I've seen a lot of creative stuff on those boards), but I think it's pretty much the only forum software that lets you do that without hacking something with the [html] tag.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah my issue was more if we ever get less mature members who get very large or distracting sigs, then after they get removed, they complain about double-standards with your sig.

As for Alclm I believe people suggested that we add custom CSS support inside posts, but we won't for readability reasons. If people want to know how bad it can get, take a look at this: http://board.kafuka.org/thread.php?pid=3572#3572

And that link is nothing compared to stuff I saw in the past O.O

Yuki

Well yeah, I guess I can remove it if anyone complains, then say, that was fun while it lasted.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

New todo list thing: Make current theme responsive. A new topic will be created and linked in the first post soon.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

That's not so bad on my phone. It could have been worse (ahem. Planet Casio.)

Dream of Omnimaga

The main issue is mostly the site navigation, especially when zooming. When you expand a drop down it clicks the parent link so if you're not fast enough it won't let you click sub-links. Also since text is hard to read on mobile, it would be nice if posts took the entire screen width.

EDIT: I also enabled OpenID on the forums, if anyone actually uses that.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 14, 2015, 07:57:45 AMWhen you expand a drop down it clicks the parent link so if you're not fast enough it won't let you click sub-links.

Not if you remove the url to the main link. And I'd really like that, as this link is redundant with Summary's

aetios

I asked my ma if I could take the (unused) Acer Aspire One with me, and she thinks it's OK. If my pa also agrees (and I'm pretty sure he will, as no one can use it at all) I can set up a backup server. I'll report back after the weekend.
Also I got router access so I threw open bunch of ports to the IP I want the server to be using (192.168.178.42 :P), namely 1337, 80, and 21 (I wanna run a small web page on it, too)
Keep in mind that the backup server will be on roughly 20/6, as I have no internet on Sundays nor at night. This might change: staff's talking about different rules when they are going to take better connections :). I do hope though that when they change connections that they'll let me open the ports, but if I tell it's for backing up a website they'll probably let me. We'll see :D
Oh also, my external IP is 37.0.90.166. I asked juju if he could give me a subdomain on is-a-brony.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Snektron

Quote from: aeTIos on January 14, 2015, 01:23:56 PM
Acer Aspire One
Lel, got one of them too.
But what are you using it for other then backing up?
(i think i've missed something)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

aetios

Nobody is using it atm, that's why I can take it with me.
ceci n'est pas une signature