Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

New member introductions: Say hello here!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 20, 2014, 02:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Heya Mazhat and welcome to CodeWalrus. Glad to see another programmer around (even though I haven't written a line of code in a loong while lol). I am surprised that there are so few Canadians on CodeWalrus since it was founded, since my former site (which is still around) used to have many. The only two other Canadians here are myself and Juju. D:

For which platform do you program the most, by the way? I agree about the 70's part, especially since the Z80 CPU is from around then and most TI calculators that people here use or used have a Z80 or eZ80. Thankfully, though, TI calculators have plenty of documentation available, so Z80/ez80 ASM/C programmers could push them to their maximum potential (one notable example being gLib 3D)  :)

I hope that you enjoy your stay. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

mazhat

We are the Canadian trio now. I do hope for more of us.

I am Windows-OS dominant, as for calculator-wise I program for the TI-83p and TI-84p.
I have only been seriously programming since 2013.

I feel like I don't have "real programming experience".
I can make path finding, sorting algorithms, and games (light),
but I can't make kernels, emulators, etc (heavy and down to the metal) :(

I've heard rumour that the reason that TI gave out the documentation for the calcs is because of
communities like this one. I hope that's true, because that is cool.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83Plus, TI-84Plus
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung TAB A (Cheap), DSI, Rasperry PI 3
Sketti

p2

Hey there and welcome to CodeWalrus, @mazhat  :thumbsup:

i know that feeling of not having any experience (but yet knowing a lot of stuff already) but trust me, once u spend a year studying it in school or job, that's all change :)
Also the guys doing that kind of programming... they're no average humans <_<

If you're looking for a nice challenge, I'd really recommend you to make a 2D RPG.
The basis (rendering the map plus movement) is rather simple and done quickly, but you can make it incredibly advanced (smooth scrolling, multiple layers, map changes according to storyline, ...)
Such a project should keep u busy for a few months, but still stay simple enough ;)

And for ur location: it's fine like that xD
It's cool to know if ur living close to another guy, but we usually don't share any detailed information unless we plan a member meeting (which won't be public) ^^
*south-west germany here  :thumbsup:

btw are u in machines and robots or pure software dev or into web dev? :)
This decicion might help u find ur way :)

Have a walrus!
:walrii:

Quote from: mazhat on March 14, 2017, 09:00:44 PMAlso I love DJ Omnimaga.
hehe DJ u got yourself a new fan :trollface:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

mazhat

Thank you, p2!

High School programming is very easy. 92+'s for me :)
I imagine you're talking about post secondary, and jobs, which scares the socks off me, haha.
I'm glad that I can share the feeling with someone else :D

An RPG sounds like quite a lot of fun, I may just try it.
It's much more fun making things when you got a challenge!

As a child I loved electronics, I had a kit that had transistors and LED's and resistors, etc.
I used to break stuff open, but I never understood how they worked. Now that's all changed!
I don't really like web-dev (HTML-wise, I like hearing about the back end though) It's not in my personal interests.

I have two soldering irons (one was never used because my weaker one works fine :) )
when winter is over I have plans to de-solder stuff and build a switch-Calculator.
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung TAB A (Cheap), DSI, Rasperry PI 3
Sketti

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: mazhat on March 14, 2017, 09:55:10 PM
We are the Canadian trio now. I do hope for more of us.

I am Windows-OS dominant, as for calculator-wise I program for the TI-83p and TI-84p.
I have only been seriously programming since 2013.

I feel like I don't have "real programming experience".
I can make path finding, sorting algorithms, and games (light),
but I can't make kernels, emulators, etc (heavy and down to the metal) :(

I've heard rumour that the reason that TI gave out the documentation for the calcs is because of
communities like this one. I hope that's true, because that is cool.

They did give some documentation back in the days until around 2004, if I remember, but afterwards the info they gave was minimal. It seems like in 2007 or so, they started worrying about us tampering with exam modes and stopped supporting ASM/C development (although the TI-84+CE still got ASM/C support, at least). A lot of the documentation was found by various TI community members over the last two decades or so.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

• Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Yuki

Woohoo, another Canadian! Except we're both in Québec :P

Anyway...
!welcome
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

kotu

Shall we?? Umm I can't remember if @MateoConLechuga looks like Mike Wozniak

• Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

mazhat

Thank you as well, Juju!

Quebec is actually very close.
My family and I like the Buffet des Continents. The rare times we go out to eat, we eat there :)
I also went on a hike with my class and it was nice to be back in the forest,
very fun, very cool!
Too bad I got a mouth full of flying bugs, haha.
Sketti

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: mazhat on March 15, 2017, 03:04:02 PM
Thank you as well, Juju!

Quebec is actually very close.
My family and I like the Buffet des Continents. The rare times we go out to eat, we eat there :)
I also went on a hike with my class and it was nice to be back in the forest,
very fun, very cool!
Too bad I got a mouth full of flying bugs, haha.

Lol my budget is too limited for anything more expensive than McDonald's with coupons/mobile offers nowadays. So no Buffet des Continents for me (I don't even kniw if we have one reachable via public transit here).

Also: Leafs Sens or Habs? :P

mazhat

Ah, that's the catch. I don't have to pay because I am still a kiddo :^)
Though I'll be on the McDonalds diet soon enough though, I imagine.

Unfortunately I don't have an interest in hockey (Blasphemous for a Canadian).
I sometimes watch baseball though!
Sketti

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh baseball is fun too! I mostly follow the CAN-AM league and the Blue Jays

Lephe

Hello CodeWalrus!

A Planète Casio fellow suggested me that there were some projects worth of interest around here, and that I may do my bit towards this activity. I was naively expecting a somehow small forum since it's about 3 years old, but the place is actually more lively than Planète Casio itself. Well done!

So here I go. I've been programming fx-9860G models for quite a few years now (maybe 4 or 5), and I trust I've mainly been sticking to this platform because of its lower screen resolution (so that a dev' like me could draw at least recognizable... things), power (optimizing programs is rather fun after all), and because it's really easy to customize. I've been getting interested in lower-level development recently, which means I've started writing interrupt handlers, disassembling some syscalls and bypassing the system to execute drivers the way I want. This led to a project called « gint » (which is pronounced 'guin', and trust me, not a single Planète Casio member pronounces it the right way), which is a library that extends add-in development on fx-9860G. I have been mostly programming in C during all this period and I'm getting quite experienced when it comes to this language (I've been using it for something like 8 years).

On the non-calculator side, it mainly goes about listening to epic music (trying to compose a bit), writing some short fantastic stories, and getting interested in all the computer science theory, from data structures and the theory of languages to operating system development.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that I'm from the Planète Casio staff and that I'm infiltrating your community to carry out an industrial espionage mission. :P

Thanks for reading this, and while I'm at it, how come the footer still shows 2014-2016?

Dream of Omnimaga

Heya Lephe, I assume you are Lephoenixnoir, right (since you say you're from Planète Casio staff? Welcome to the forums. I need to check Planète-Casio more often (I got kinda busy and side-tracked with many things last Fall, but Planète-Casio is one of our affiliates and I check the front page regularly as well). I got a FX-9860G since 2009 and it got a lot of potential for great games and development. I stuck with those lower-res calcs for similar reasons, by the way. It was much easier for me to draw graphics :).

Also glad you are interested in writing music. I wrote music since 2002 myself. If you make something, you should share it in the Music showcase and production category by the way :).

As for the footer 2014-16 thing, thanks for pointing it out. I should really get this to change automatically :P. And yeah, while we have only been around for 2.5 years, we somehow managed to have levels of activity that are not bad, although the excitement from 2015 kinda died down a bit. I hope you enjoy your stay :3=

mazhat

Hello and welcome to Codewalr.us, Lephe!

This website is somewhat a spiritual successor to the old Omnimaga website,
that could explain why there's so much activity here, because users could transfer over :^)

Also good luck on the infiltration, we've sent the FBI, CIA, KGB and JTF2 to your house.

Sketti