Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

CEmu

Started by MateoConLechuga, December 30, 2015, 08:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriweb

Quote from: Juju on January 06, 2016, 05:13:16 AMWhat about using the address to the Nspire's LCD buffer directly as the CE's? Otherwise, that's pretty cool.
Yeah, I ended up telling the Nspire's LCD controller to directly get its data from the CE's VRAM.

Quote from: DJ OmnimagaDid it require many modifications, by the way?
Not much at all, that's the nice thing about the core being well separate from the rest. I put some code here: https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?short=1&p=194523#p194523
We'll have to decide/find a way to cleanly integrate different targets (desktop, mobile/tablet, web, nspire) to the build process...
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah that would be better for when Mateo fixes bugs. Imagine having to update multiple versions everytime there are bug fixes. >.<
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Adriweb

I've also ported it to the Apple Watch :)

QuoteThis is an Apple Watch.
And it's joining the club of devices capable of running CEmu \o/

• Sorry for the bad quality :P
  • Yes, I know, the colors are messed up, I probably shifted some RGB bits a bit too hard, I'll fix that soon...
  • Yes, it's running natively on the watch, not on the iPhone.
  • No, it's not usable for now (no input etc.), I'm just showing that the core works.
  • If/When a download gets available, it will be here: https://github.com/MateoConLechuga/CEmu
Video showing the speed:

Source: https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=17746&p=194641#p194641
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios

Yuki

The future is here, guys. You can now have a graphing calculator on a watch. That's... pretty useless, with no input... Still, that's pretty nice.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

That is awesome Adriweb. I wonder if it could be ported to iOS easily, especially with their restrictions on emulators and stuff in the past (are those still active?)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Adriweb

The emulator (etc.) restriction is only for the App Store. Doesn't matter if you don't plan to distribute your app there (it's now free to run your own compiled apps on your iOS device, so... there's that)
But it runs perfectly on iOS (The Qt version directly, like on Desktop) already (especially on iPad with the bigger screen) :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok, so this is a Cydia program? (or whatever jailbreak tools are called now. THe last time I used an iPod Touch we used Cydia and I had to reformat my phone twice in a week)

Adriweb

Nope, no jailbreak required, as it doesn't do anything out of the ordinary :)

Vogtinator

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 08, 2016, 08:15:35 AM
That is awesome Adriweb. I wonder if it could be ported to iOS easily, especially with their restrictions on emulators and stuff in the past (are those still active?)

The restriction you're probably thinking about is that a JIT isn't possible on iOS without jailbreak, as a program isn't allowed to map memory with PROT_EXEC.
CEmu doesn't have a JIT, so it is fine.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspie CX CAS, Casio FX-85ES

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I see. Back in the days, I thought, however, that it was against the appstore rules to publish apps that contains a programming language, such as a TI-84 Plus emulator. But I guess this either changed or TI received a special treatment with TI-Nspire iOS app.

Adriweb

It's because it's not an emulator at all, rather the whole natively compiled phoenix engine + a native UI :)
Like TINCS.

JosJuice

Emulators are allowed on the App Store, but they're not allowed to load ROMs provided by a user. That essentially means that the only allowed way of loading ROMs is getting permission from the copyright holder to distribute the ROMs on the App Store. There are some classic games that have been released in this way.

What Adriweb is also true. The TI-Nspire software doesn't need to emulate the TI-Nspire hardware.

Also, DJ Omnimaga: With iOS 9, that something can't be in the App Store doesn't necessarily mean that it requires a jailbreak. Apple added the ability to sideload apps so you can install whatever you want (as long as it doesn't have something like a JIT), but I think you need to set up a developer environment on a Mac before you can use it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+ SE, Casio fx-CG10

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I see now. That's cool that they lifted some of their restrictions. Using an iOS device in the past seemed like living in North Korea: You were restricted with anything and the minute you tried to circumvent restrictions, you were "punished" for doing it (by being forced to reformat your phone because once jailbroken it had 50% chances of suddenly being one step close to bricked for absolute no reason)

Dream of Omnimaga

So I finally tried this and was happy that it came with a ROM dumper built-in. Very good job so far, as it was quite easy to get to run and I could also run games flawlessly. My only gripe is that the 2nd key is not mapped to Shift like in WabbitEmu, but I guess that can be changed easily.

Test screenshot (set at lowest frame rate for size reasons):

EDIT: Another issue is that it doesn't remember the last directory when sending files, which can get annoying. And when I opened the setup screen, hitting cancel (the X button at the top) caused a RAM reset.

Ivoah

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 09, 2016, 10:37:57 PM
Oh I see now. That's cool that they lifted some of their restrictions. Using an iOS device in the past seemed like living in North Korea: You were restricted with anything and the minute you tried to circumvent restrictions, you were "punished" for doing it (by being forced to reformat your phone because once jailbroken it had 50% chances of suddenly being one step close to bricked for absolute no reason)

Have you actually used a jailbroken iDevice? I jailbroke my my iPad, and have never had issues, nor have I ever heard of other people having issues with jailbroken devices. Also, I highly doubt that CEmu (or Firebird) would be allowed on the appstore, because it is an emulator. It's easy enough to get it on an iDevice though if you have a mac, because you can just build the program yourself and put it on as a testing thing.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE