Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

The Anagram Times! [news] [politics] [anagrams]

Started by JWinslow23, April 26, 2016, 09:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWinslow23

Bump.

There's new front-page stories today, courtesy of Russ Atkinson (cops stuck in elevator) and Julian Lofts (female Ted Cruz lookalike).

Firefighters Rescue Cops Stuck In Elevator
(MSN)

Firefighters Rescue Cops Stuck In Elevator = Greater stuff: service heros unstick police

Female Ted Cruz Lookalike Agrees To Do c For $10,000
(Huffington Post)

Searcy Hayes = Aye, she scary! = Aye, he's scary!

What It's Like to Write Jokes for President Obama
(The New York Times)

What It's Like to Write Jokes for President Obama = Work hard; smart wit is OK, tiniest jape too feeble.

Also, I submitted a new story!

Dream of Omnimaga

ROFL, some of those were funny XD

Also I wonder JWinslow23 if you would have ideas of anagrams for "Happy hardcore raver", "UK Hardcore raver" and "Hardcore Until I die"? I am running out of ideas for new song titles. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JWinslow23

Submitted new stories! I'm too lazy to animate them right now, so I'll just give the raw forms here:

Ted Cruz Suspends His Campaign for President = Trump seized GOP, and press finds such certain.

Donald Trump, the presumptive GOP nominee = I prevented! He put up simple monogram: DON T.

The latter has a pun on Donald Trump's name. His name for short is Don T, or "don't", if you join it together.

Also, I got ya covered on new song titles ;)

Happy Hardcore Raver = Very Harder Approach = Harry Craved a Hopper

UK Hardcore Raver = Crave Darker Hour

Hardcore Until I Die = Ridiculed Anti-Hero = Lucid Head Interior = I'd Hurt Alone, I Cried = Cloud Ride In The Air = Hurried Idle Action = I Rule, Heroin Addict = I Die, Curtain Holder

I had the most fun with that last one ;)

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks for the ideas. Crave Darker Hours actually sounds cool, especially considering the raver's culture in UK which involved hard drugs. :P I also like Lucid Head Interior, Cloud Ride in the Air and one that is quite funny (but might not be appropriate for upload on every site is "I rule, heroin addict". The Lucid and Cloud ones would be fitting for dreamy happy hardcore songs, though.

Also you should cross-post all the anagrams you made on IRC into this topic, since that clutters the IRC channel up (same with Youtube links with the Youtube thread) and in this topic they would at least not be missed.  :)

By the way, when we do an anagram, do we have to preserve the punctuation for re-use?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 04, 2016, 05:55:08 AM
Thanks for the ideas. Crave Darker Hours actually sounds cool, especially considering the raver's culture in UK which involved hard drugs. :P I also like Lucid Head Interior, Cloud Ride in the Air and one that is quite funny (but might not be appropriate for upload on every site is "I rule, heroin addict". The Lucid and Cloud ones would be fitting for dreamy happy hardcore songs, though.

Also you should cross-post all the anagrams you made on IRC into this topic, since that clutters the IRC channel up (same with Youtube links with the Youtube thread) and in this topic they would at least not be missed.  :)

By the way, when we do an anagram, do we have to preserve the punctuation for re-use?
No, the punctuation is entirely optional. All that matters is that both words/names/phrases use the same letters. Think of it as arranging Scrabble tiles (or Clabbers, or whatever you call them in Canada :P ).

Punctuation can enhance an anagram, if done right. For example:

The Immaculate Conception = Pathetic cult...I mean, COME ON!

And take that without punctuation:

The Immaculate Conception = Pathetic cult I mean come on

Dull, right? You may add it wherever you feel necessary, and word order doesn't matter either.

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks for the info. I felt that being forced to re-use all punctuation would have been too restrictive. >.<

JWinslow23

Another day, another two published stories.

Donald Trump, the presumptive GOP nominee = I prevented! He put up simple monogram: DON T.
DON T is short for Donald Trump; also it spells "don't"

Ted Cruz Suspends His Campaign for President = Trump seized GOP, and press finds such certain

EDIT: Apparently, I just got an email from Anu Garg.

Quote from: EmailHi Josiah,

I'd like to add you to The Anagram Times masthead. Let me know where you are located and if you have a preference for a specific title.

Also, I'd like to feature an interview with you in The Anagram Times. Would you be willing to answer a few questions?

Thanks,

Anu

The masthead contains a list of regulars to The Anagram Times and what kind of stories they cover. Some are also featured in interviews, such as this one with Julian Lofts (=Snafu I'll Jot), the New Zealand reporter. I would love to see where this heads.

Dream of Omnimaga

Wow what? Could you become famous from the anagrams? O.O (that could give you extra publicity for your other unrelated projects especially if you do pixel art, music or color calc stuff too)

Dudeman313

• Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

JWinslow23

Quote from: Dudeman313 on May 05, 2016, 01:21:10 AM
So...that's a no?
Famous within a group, but not world-famous, is what I mean. Jason and Julian are wonderful anagrammers, as is Mike, but I remember Meyran to be excellent at anagram construction. Back in the days of the Anagrammy Awards, she was the oldies checker (checking whether or not anagrams are simply rediscoveries). I remember one time having "Quite an ~ antique!" rejected because it had been discovered before. Too bad, I felt so clever when I discovered that.

Flippanteer

Quote from: JWinslow23 on May 05, 2016, 05:29:31 PM
Quote from: Dudeman313 on May 05, 2016, 01:21:10 AM
So...that's a no?
Famous within a group, but not world-famous, is what I mean. Jason and Julian are wonderful anagrammers, as is Mike, but I remember Meyran to be excellent at anagram construction. Back in the days of the Anagrammy Awards, she was the oldies checker (checking whether or not anagrams are simply rediscoveries). I remember one time having "Quite an ~ antique!" rejected because it had been discovered before. Too bad, I felt so clever when I discovered that.
Still has to feel pretty gratifying to be one of the top of a niche news website at least  :thumbsup:
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-84+, TI-86, TI-NSpire CX CAS, TI-1706III, TI-30XIIS, TI-30XS Multiview, TI-36X Solar

JWinslow23

Yeah, and when I tell people I'm a "roving reporter for the Anagram Times", they'll say that's cool, too...if they don't know about what anagrams are :P

I just concluded my interview. It consisted of him emailing me a list of questions and me emailing back a list of my responses. I will give a link once it's up.

JWinslow23

Dream of Omnimaga

Cool about the interview. I can't wait to see it ^^

Also lol does the first anagram imply that Captain America: Civil War is bad or something? :P

You should do some calculator-related anagrams. :)