Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Editorial: A small PSA about CodeWalrus

Started by Yuki, February 14, 2018, 12:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbl08ma

Yeah, I think this highlights another thing: people only have so much free time to dedicate to each community and project, and thus will choose to spend the most time on the stuff they find most rewarding. I would love to have time to participate more actively in CodeWalrus, Cemetech, open source projects I have contributed to like Haiku OS and Sming, participate in more discussions on Reddit and Hacker News, perhaps visit my old friends at the FreeVPS forum once in a while, post more on the Lisbon subway thread at SkyscraperCity, engage more with my Twitter circle, post more on my blog, work at least a couple hours a week on Clouttery, finish the home automation projects I have had going on for years and, on top of all this, keep pursuing my master's degree, keep working on UnderLX, keep maintaining my servers and other websites so they don't go down and aren't breached, play computer games and, last but not least, spend more time with my family and friends.

Even if my days had 240 hours I'm not sure I would have enough time to do all of this. Note that I only listed the things that I find enjoyable and would love to do more often (and I probably forgot some) - I completely skipped over the chores, which also take quite a lot of time, and stuff like eating, sleeping and staying healthy. Of course, people will prioritize activities in their life, and once they have some time free for doing whatever they want, they will naturally choose the activities they instinctively find most appealing/rewarding at that moment, and choose to spend time with the communities they find more interesting or that are more closely related to those activities.

What does this mean for CodeWalrus? I means that, somehow (I have no idea how), if we want to see more activity here, we must become a more appealing/rewarding community for a larger set of people, from existing members to people who find us by chance or are invited here. Personally, I think maintaining an healthy chat/Discord component is very positive, because that way the community appeals to two different kinds of interaction: both real-time, short-lived, mobile-friendly interaction in the form of chat messages, and slow-paced, long-form interaction in the form of forum posts. Many of the subreddits I subscribe to have a Discord server, and I am in some of them (although I rarely if ever look at them, because, again, my days don't have 240 hours). These servers don't seem to have reduced the amount of posts in the respective subreddits (at most, they reduced the amount of low quality posts and offtopic), and thus I believe it's entirely possible to keep an active CodeWalrus forum and an active CodeWalrus chat (which already has a very good thing going for it, which is the fact that it is bridged across multiple services, making it easier for anyone to use their preferred platform).
  • Calculators owned: Prizm CG-20

Caleb Hansberry

If we could somehow advertise to kids in schools we'd have more people, Cemetech does something similar to a small degree.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+SE, TI-84+SE, TI-85, TI-89, TI-99/4A
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: HP Portable Plus 110, Toshiba T3100, Toshiba T5200, GRiD 1660, TI-99/4A, Apple IIgs, and much more than I can list here

_iPhoenix_

Quote from: Caleb Hansberry on March 05, 2018, 02:24:38 AM
If we could somehow advertise to kids in schools we'd have more people, Cemetech does something similar to a small degree.

I could potentially help with that. I think we'd have to publish a calculator programming book, but I don't have the heart to compete with Kerm, because his book is awesome and got me into the calculator community. If more codewalrus people put CW info in their sigs on other calc/programming forums, we might get more traffic.
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

DarkestEx

Quote from: _iPhoenix_ on March 05, 2018, 11:30:02 AM
I could potentially help with that. I think we'd have to publish a calculator programming book, but I don't have the heart to compete with Kerm, because his book is awesome and got me into the calculator community. If more codewalrus people put CW info in their sigs on other calc/programming forums, we might get more traffic.
I hope my new TI84 Mainboard with Raspberry Pi CPU will help the community gain attention again. I will be gross posting this project to casemodder forums.
Also with a more powerful CPU, WiFi and Linux with all it's programming languages will attract more people to code for a monochrome screen with a calculator keypad.
If the project receives enough support, I will manufacture a small batch on preorder basis.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Yuki

That's how we gave the word back when we founded the site, actually. That works.

Quote from: DarkestEx on March 05, 2018, 11:53:53 AM
I hope my new TI84 Mainboard with Raspberry Pi CPU will help the community gain attention again. I will be gross posting this project to casemodder forums.
Also with a more powerful CPU, WiFi and Linux with all it's programming languages will attract more people to code for a monochrome screen with a calculator keypad.
If the project receives enough support, I will manufacture a small batch on preorder basis.
That would be pretty cool to see here. Maybe Hackaday would run an article about it and link back here, who knows?
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

_iPhoenix_

I might start doing some projects that I don't cross-post to other forums, users have to come here.

This will cause more users to come here.
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar: