Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

solidFRAME - a 3D engine for the z80/ez80 calcs [ti-83+][ti-84+ce]

Started by tr1p1ea, May 03, 2016, 03:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tr1p1ea

Over the past few years I have been developing a 3D engine for the z80 line of calcs with the aim of creating a Star Wars inspired space sim. Although that never happened I did release a 3D model viewer which can be found here: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/450/45097.html

Some test screenshots:

I haven't touched it in a while and although I did port it to the CSE as a VERY quick test () it never went anywhere so I thought that I would bring it to the CE given the increase in power that the platform has. At this point in time there are only a couple of test screenshots:

With the Star Wars craze still going I was thinking about picking up where I left off regarding the space sim, though anything of that calibre would be a while off.

Dream of Omnimaga

I remember that monochrome X-Wing demo. It was very cool. Also those speeds are impressive on the CE :O, especially with how good Link looks like. I really wish this could become a game one day. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Lionel Debroux

Yeah, it looked nice for the monochrome TI-Z80, and it looks pretty nice for the TI-eZ80 series :)
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

tr1p1ea

Ok can't believe I havent tried this sooner!

Very crappy walrii model that I made in 30mins! But still, it's a start :).

Snektron

Very cool :o. Does that walrii have an "official" model format or is it something you made up?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

tr1p1ea

Yeah its just a wavefront obj file created in blender, people please feel free to create an alternative (i neglected to save this one) ... cause it could use some improvements! (Just a test).

The restriction is that it cant have more than 256 faces or verts.

Dream of Omnimaga

Woah that is cool tr1p1ea O.O . You should redo it and post the model data so it can be re-used and maybe enhanced for certain platforms. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Wow nice, that looks really nice! I how do you make it with so few verts?
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

tr1p1ea

I'll have to spend some time creating an actual proper 3D walrii model, this was just a quick test before I went to be ... plus I haven't actually used blender in a long time! I'll def post the model if I get around to creating a new one.

Sometimes I make things in higher detail and use the decimate modifier to get things down to acceptable limits.

This model has 134 faces and 81 verts I think. It could be made with significantly less imo.

Dream of Omnimaga

When ready could you post the blenderdata? I wonder if I
Could convert it to HP PPL format...

tr1p1ea

I neglected to keep the actual model shown, but it only took me 30 or so mins. Ill make another over the weekend that hopefully is a bit better.

catastropher

Awesome job! Can you send the walrii model my way when you're done? I'd love to import it into my 3D engine! :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-83+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-Nspire CX, TI-92+, TI-89 Titanium
Creator of X3D, a 3D portal rendering game engine for Nspire, 68k, and PC

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I would like to see a :walrii: in X3D for sure. :D With shading or different colors for some sides it would definitively be even better

c4ooo

Max Leiter

Any plans to opensource the engine? Looks great :)