Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

The calculator of your dreams (or your fears)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, October 30, 2015, 02:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 01, 2016, 06:34:13 PM
Personally I don't see any difference in this topic with the other, so I merged both, but if you obect, I can always split it back into a standalone topic.

The problem with TI calcs is that they're overpriced for their specs. Even the 150 MHz TI-Nspire CX with 100 MB of RAM/64 MB Flash is overpriced. On the other hand, it would be hard to make a community calculator as cheap as TI calcs should be, because production costs are much higher than when they produce calculators in bulk of thousands.
Well this was meant as some sort idea collection topic to see what we could do. I would like to have a community calc. And if we use the microcat's chipset i can reuse the bios, some of the drivers and mainly the hardware i have laying around.

It would be a 120MHz, 32 bit ARMv7ME, 64KB RAM, 256KB flash (native applications and basic)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

I think the Flash is too low. 256 KB is even less than the TI-84+, so basically you can only fit 1 game on the calc if it uses advanced graphics and only a few math applications would fit. That's unless external storage is supported, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Dudeman313

I'd want at least 1 TB of Flash on anything, with or without expandable storage. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Lionel Debroux

Both 64 KB of RAM and 256 KB of Flash are way too small, indeed.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

Unicorn

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 02, 2016, 03:10:39 AM
I'd want at least 1 TB of Flash on anything, with or without expandable storage. :P
One TB on a calc? I would say about 10 gb would be enough, depending on the programs you can make with it.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Considering that a standard sized 1 TB hard drive is $50, I would go smaller. If 1 TB is this expensive, then imagine how expensive it would be as a smaller storage medium that fits inside a calc.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Well then it's not worth even trying to make some calculator. I would have only used parts from the microcat development. This was the second last chip we were testing. It's big brother would have been used in the microcat. The big brother has 128KB RAM and 512KB flash. Note that the flash is completely different to the one used in the TI calcs and is a lot more flexible. The big brother also has SD card support.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dudeman313

The calculator of my fears would either be the TI-15 or the first one :blah: .
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

One thing to keep in mind with making a community calculator should be to ensure that it can compete against the TI-84 Plus CE and Casio fx-CG20 from an hardware standpoint. It can have a smaller color screen and Z80 CPU, but if the calc RAM and Flash is even lower than the old 83+ or the original TI-89, or if it has a monochrome screen, then people won't really be interested, even if the price is low. You could get away by using a monochrome screen maybe, but only if it's backlit properly, like the FX-9860GII.

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 04, 2016, 08:02:58 AM
One thing to keep in mind with making a community calculator should be to ensure that it can compete against the TI-84 Plus CE and Casio fx-CG20 from an hardware standpoint. It can have a smaller color screen and Z80 CPU, but if the calc RAM and Flash is even lower than the old 83+ or the original TI-89, or if it has a monochrome screen, then people won't really be interested, even if the price is low. You could get away by using a monochrome screen maybe, but only if it's backlit properly, like the FX-9860GII.
Color screen is ugly, expensive, slow and power consuming. It wouldn't be worth it.
Having a properly muxed grayscale screen would be way better.
Also z80 would certainly not be the platform of choice but arm for many, many reasons:
Cheap, fast, powerful, easy to get, low current, 32 bit, supports way more RAM without hacks (up to 4GB), USB, fast SPI (e.g. for screen or SD card)

For the community calc I can offer 120 MHz, 128 KB RAM, 16 MB flash from where native programs can run (without being loaded into RAM!)
Price estimation would be around 50€
The processor does support full speed USB 2.0 client + host and high speed SDIO over a HSMCI (SD cards).

Dream of Omnimaga

For the color screen, I was mostly refering to download stats on ticalc. Super Mario 1.2 used to average at 2000 downloads a week, and now it rarely makes the top 25 anymore. Most top 25 files are either school or shell related or color. It's your choice, though. Would a backlit monochrome screen be more expensive?

Lionel Debroux

I agree about the ISA of choice being ARM (Cortex-M4/-M7 for relatively high-powered yet power-efficient lower-end machines, Cortex-A5/-A32/-A35 for power-efficient higher-end machines), but I disagree about the backlit color screen. As DJ indicates, that ship has now sailed.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

Dream of Omnimaga

I wonder if there is any page online that compares various type of LCDs for DYI pocket device projects?

GalacticPirate

Well, now just sit down and think a minute. If the Iphone 6S Plus or the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge were calculators (and only calcs), it would completely humiliate actual ones, and even at this price (~€700-1100), their value-for-money would be far better than TI's/Casio's/HP's one :P So, we are just in an impossible c with these outdated technologies :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

DarkestEx

Quote from: STV on March 04, 2016, 05:21:24 PM
Well, now just sit down and think a minute. If the Iphone 6S Plus or the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge were calculators (and only calcs), it would completely humiliate actual ones, and even at this price (~€700-1100), their value-for-money would be far better than TI's/Casio's/HP's one :P So, we are just in an impossible s*** with these outdated technologies :P
That is not the point of calculators. They don't need to be fancy after all. There is a lot of reasearch to them though TI seems to fail making good code and Casio's UI is such crap.

I don't see any benefit of a color screen in a calculator except graph plotting and some games, but it is not worth it. You will end up with having to charge it often and nobody wants to do that.
A monochrome screen would be a lot more reasonable.