Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Linux

Started by Alvajoy123, March 28, 2017, 01:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

novenary

If you want help, you should start by posting your code as it is right now, and telling us what you don't understand about it. Or even a link or a quote of the part of the documentation you don't get. I'm pretty rusty with calculators and have no experience with the CE, but I'm sure others would answer your question as long as you ask the right way™. No question is stupid so don't be afraid, but remember that "I need help" is not enough for anyone to help you.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I agree with Streetwalrus about asking the right way. Maybe I am being impaired by my inabilities to detect people's intentions, but to me it seemed like you wanted us to write all code for you alvajoy123, which is frowned upon on tech support websites or sub-forums. People will only help someone else if the latter person shows any effort to learn. It's also impossible to help someone if we don't know the exact problem (eg after you write code and find bugs you somehow can't figure out).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

_iPhoenix_

^^ You were correct, but I don't think he consciously wanted that.

Here's my 2 cents:
Learn to code, write mostly-working code, then we'd gladly help revise it.
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

Alvajoy123

Ok will listen to all your advice
I have been working on it oand I printed everything out
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CE
The maker of Xenon.

Alvajoy123

Quote from: Streetwalrus
Also, I would like you to change the name of this project. It has absolutely nothing to do with Linux, and it's a trademark infringement, which has been discussed before. Why not come up with something original?
This are so names I came up with
.LinuxC
.LinuxCE
.TIkernel
.T Lin (Tlin)
I will post a poll

By the way I just noticed that there is different types of linux so I will have to make a boot screen where you can choose from 3

Types of linux os
The maker of Xenon.

novenary

Quote from: Alvajoy123 on June 27, 2017, 05:40:48 AM
Also, I would like you to change the name of this project. It has absolutely nothing to do with Linux, and it's a trademark infringement, which has been discussed before. Why not come up with something original?
.LinuxC
.LinuxCE
.TIkernel
.T Lin (Tlin)
I will post a poll
I meant something *not* Linux, change the name entirely.

Strontium

Quote from: Streetwalrus on June 27, 2017, 06:10:00 AM
.LinuxC
.LinuxCE
.TIkernel
.T Lin (Tlin)
I will post a poll

How about  TNU? TI is Not Unix :)
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

Alvajoy123

Quote from: Strontium on June 27, 2017, 06:14:36 AM
.LinuxC
.LinuxCE
.TIkernel
.T Lin (Tlin)
I will post a poll

How about  TNU? TI is Not Unix :)
Sounds good I should try that name

Ok Streetwalrus I will have no linux in the names
The maker of Xenon.

Patrick Davidson

Quote from: Streetwalrus on June 25, 2017, 09:30:36 AMI'm sure you've already been told, but don't just say this, because it implies that you want us to hold your hand and do things for you. If you have a specific question, do ask it, but otherwise do refrain or people will dismiss you as someone who doesn't really want to learn (to be honest, it's already too late for you, but you can always make up for it).

Lots of people have made programs they called "Windows" for the calculators -- only about time for Linux to have its trademark infringed too :)

Alvajoy123

Hello
PD
The maker of Xenon.

Alvajoy123

Quote from: Patrick Davidson on June 28, 2017, 12:41:42 PM
Quote from: Streetwalrus on June 25, 2017, 09:30:36 AMI'm sure you've already been told, but don't just say this, because it implies that you want us to hold your hand and do things for you. If you have a specific question, do ask it, but otherwise do refrain or people will dismiss you as someone who doesn't really want to learn (to be honest, it's already too late for you, but you can always make up for it).

Lots of people have made programs they called "Windows" for the calculators -- only about time for Linux to have its trademark infringed too :)
Lol 👏😂 for now the name is TNU
The maker of Xenon.

Dream of Omnimaga

.LinuxC
.LinuxCE
.TIkernel
.T Lin (Tlin)
I will post a poll
Considering 99% of ticalc.org content is called Windows, Linux, Dragon Ball or Pokémon, I don't see why this matters with this project in particular, but I think it should at least be renamed to something less clickbait or something such as Basiclinux or Linux 84+CE
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

_iPhoenix_

Also, see this page:

https://lmi.linuxfoundation.org/programs/legal/trademark/attribution

Basically, you can't legally call this Linux.

If you do get caught, though, (which I doubt) CW could get caught in the cross fire.

* _iPhoenix_ mumbles something about legal stuff is stupid.

The best thing to do would be to completely come up with a new name.
I know this has been stated before, but here's an idea I thought up:
AlvajoyOS
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

novenary

Quote from: xlibman on June 28, 2017, 03:51:28 PM
Considering 99% of ticalc.org content is called Windows, Linux, Dragon Ball or Pokémon, I don't see why this matters with this project in particular, but I think it should at least be renamed to something less clickbait or something such as Basiclinux or Linux 84+CE
My main concern is that this thread is called "Linux" when it's in fact something unrelated, which is confusing for everyone.

Quote from: Patrick Davidson on June 28, 2017, 12:41:42 PM
:P

Dream of Omnimaga

Perhaps the thread should be renamed then