Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Only 10 days left before public opening!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, December 20, 2014, 09:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

(Cross-posted from https://www.omnimaga.org/other-calculator-discussion-and-news/codewalrus/msg398655/#msg398655 and http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=228355#228355 )

Now that December 19th has passed, here is a little update about the site current status, for people who did not have the chance to learn about the plan or people who just signed up and might have been wondering why their forum account is not being approved yet:

-Basically, to sum things up, it is possible to create new forum accounts since December 10th, now that the social login plugin is setup correctly, but since closed-beta is done and that the site opens on January 1st, your account was not approved yet. Don't worry, you were not forgotten nor rejected. An e-mail will be sent upon account approval, assuming you aren't using a fake e-mail address, and activation will not be required.

-The IRC channel (#CodeWalrus), which is merely an hangout for the site users, is already reachable since early December and it was recently made -s on Omninet (so that it shows up in /list), although the Freenode and EFnet channels are still +s.

-The current staff members (who founded the site) are assigned to various sub-membergroups, but every staff member in the member list shows up as "CodeWalrus Staff" by default. Their sub-groups are listed in their profile or in topic view:
* Moderators: aeTIos, Juju, Pimathbrainiac and Streetwalrus
* Forum maintenance: DJ Omnimaga, Juju, Pimathbrainiac and Streetwalrus
* Server maintenance: Juju, Pimathbrainiac and Streetwalrus (I am currently in this group until January 1st)

Server maintenance is self-explanatory, forum maintenance involves managing categories, the theme, modifications and in-board SMF upgrades. Forum maintenance staff also has some limited moderator powers (whatever doesn't involve deletion/banning) and moderators has every moderator privilege. All staff participates in huge administrative or moderator decisions (they only have 24 hours to do so, though, unless stated otherwise), but depending of their positions, they might not necessarily be able to apply the decision.

-The entire site is funded by me (and my music sales) and the URL is obviously the one in my signature (or if you can't see signatures, http://codewalr.us/ )
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

pimathbrainiac

Yay the time is near!

Also I need to work on nReuben... Later... I have work to do...
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

That and me on SWL. Street gotta setup backups and make some available to staff. :P

I'm very tired lately though. I sleep from 9 to 12 hours most nights instead of 5-8. This cuts down free time considerably.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Welp, the Freenode channel is no longer +s since forever ago. :P

Also I'm at home for holidays and my server is on campus so I can't set it up atm.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok I wasn't sure what mode that particular channel was since I don't use it much.

When are you coming back to campus by the way? Will you be able to setup CW backups (on your computer or at some place on CW server where all admins got access so they can copy them on their computers)  before Jan 1st? http://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=2.msg2#msg2

novenary

The server is live, I just need some help to set up the backup scripts.

Dream of Omnimaga

Cool to hear. Once you set them up let us know in the todo list thread and then later let us know if the script worked and if the backups aren't corrupted or anything. :)

novenary

There's no reason why it would fail. I have a 2-drive raid1 BTW (160GB available) for safety in case one drive crashes, we still have a copy.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I meant if you would somehow have introduced a bug in the script or something. By the way will other staff also have access to those backups in some way? (at least the latest database one)

Also, almost only 1 day left before opening! *.* Site has been setup entirely invisible to guests again and everything else enabled, so that at 7 PM on Wednesday (12 AM GMT), Juju can simply go to http://codewalr.us/index.php?action=admin;area=featuresettings , check the "Allow guests to browse the forum" box then save.

I'll take care of approving members and enabling registrations. So all members awaiting approval will get to see the forums about three hours before the official opening :D (or at least as soon as they get their e-mail notifying them that they account was finally approved)

novenary

Juju has root access so I guess that's fine ? I can also give access to you, pimath and aeTIos if needed. :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Good to hear. Sometimes, other staff might want to keep copies of the backups in case they ever decide to do maintenance but accidentally breaks code.

As forum maintenance, the only server access I need really is the following:
-At least one backup
-codewalr.us/sources
-codewalr.us/themes (every sub-folder)
-codewalr.us/packages
-And when we do upgrade to SMF 2.1 I might need temporary access to the rest in case I need to upload repair files.

Otherwise I can do most other things via the site (eg package manager upload form. Even SMF security patches can be installed via there)