Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Japanese people take their calculators very seriously

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, January 29, 2015, 06:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

This video makes me wish that Japanese students were into graphing calculators like in North America and Europe. Imagine if they started making JRPGs in ASM or BASIC :P

In Japan they hold calculator championships it seems, but it involves using basic calculators XD. And even at the work place, look at how fast they type on those things! O.O Even during my Illusiat/ROL days I still didn't even type close to that speed on my 83+ when writing code.

http://www.wimp.com/japanesecalculators/

To be honest, seeing how advanced technologically Japan is, I am surprised that they still use calculators today.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

They call her... The Human Calculator.
Wait there's already someone called 'the human calculator'.

They call her... a japanese woman...

And wow that's some fast typing *.*. But tbh more japanese people are like that (Stereotype questionmark)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

aetios

Well, I think everyone can be that fast. It's just that for some reason, asian people are often very devoted to what they do. (while this is a kinda stereotype, it's also kinda true)
ceci n'est pas une signature

Vijfhoek

I like the hate for Excel in the comments. Because tools that make you more productive are for lazy people.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: aeTIos on January 29, 2015, 05:53:52 PM
Well, I think everyone can be that fast. It's just that for some reason, asian people are often very devoted to what they do. (while this is a kinda stereotype, it's also kinda true)
I guess that is why most RPGs, anime and games in general coming from there are also quite elaborate and often  high quality, right?
Quote from: Vijfhoek on January 29, 2015, 07:08:52 PM
I like the hate for Excel in the comments. Because tools that make you more productive are for lazy people.
And yeah people often say that about higher level languages and music softwares >.<, even moreso for game engines like Multimedia Fusion.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

THat would be a good reason of why the JRPGs are long as hell, so if you're devoted to it (or say, don't have a life), you could finish it in a reasonable time frame.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Yuki

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Thecoder1998

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Eiyeron on January 30, 2015, 07:09:01 PM
THat would be a good reason of why the JRPGs are long as hell, so if you're devoted to it (or say, don't have a life), you could finish it in a reasonable time frame.
The thing is that since Japanese people are so much into JRPGs, they have more experience in writing storylines, even for simpler games. A lot of western RPGs that tried to mimic JRPGs were very short or had crappy storylines. Also, Japanese people thinks we are n00b at gaming: In 1991, when Final Fantasy IV was released for the SNES, we got an easier version in North America. And for Super Mario Bros 2 we got an easier version that was Doki Doki Panic with Mario characters replacing others. Then came Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest <_< (although it's still kinda fun and the music rocks)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yeah, they kept the hardest games and threw off to you the easiest ones. THe fun sotry is because SMB2J was called "not appealing" to the US players (and "too hard"). Go figure when one can play Megaman or TMNT on NES.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Keoni29

I am trying to do this on my numpad now. Typing blind on it is not that hard, but typing fast and without errors requires quite a bit of practice.
If you like my work, why not give me an internet?

Dream of Omnimaga

When I did calc programming in 2003-07 or so, I didn't check my keypad while typing. I started again by 2010 or so but usually when I was getting used again to doing it regularly I stopped watching the keypad.

Of course now it's a different story with new calcs like the HP Prime, but for most new calcs I program on the computer anyway.

Travis

Quote from: Eiyeron on January 31, 2015, 10:05:38 AM
Yeah, they kept the hardest games and threw off to you the easiest ones. THe fun sotry is because SMB2J was called "not appealing" to the US players (and "too hard"). Go figure when one can play Megaman or TMNT on NES.
Or Batman or Ghosts and Goblins or one of those games mentioned in a AVGN video? :P
Kind of a shame RPGs weren't so popular here, since those are my favorite genre. Platformers like SMB/Megaman/etc. were cool, as were Zelda-like games, though I personally wasn't much into, say, fighting games, since they just seemed like boring button-mashers to me. I especially like games that involve exploration where you obtain items/abilities that unlock areas you couldn't reach earlier in the game. Zelda had a lot of that, as did WonderBoy III: The Dragon's Trap on Sega Master System--another classic I remember from childhood (a friend had that system). NES Strider was a fascinating game to me for that reason, too.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 31, 2015, 04:33:48 PM
When I did calc programming in 2003-07 or so, I didn't check my keypad while typing. I started again by 2010 or so but usually when I was getting used again to doing it regularly I stopped watching the keypad.

Of course now it's a different story with new calcs like the HP Prime, but for most new calcs I program on the computer anyway.
I got fairly good at blind typing on my TI-89(t) and HP 50g's, which I've used for many years. Not as fast as a good PC keyboard, but faster (and less painful) than handwriting. Although the 89T keyboard is so screwed up with that curvy nonsense that I still constantly hit the wrong keys, which annoys the hell out of me. It also likes to double keystrokes when I press/release alpha while still holding a key. There aren't too many things in life that put me in a foul mood faster than crappy input devices.
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-82, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, TI-89 Titanium, 2 × HP 50g

Dream of Omnimaga

Thankfully RPGs became more popular after Final Fantasy VI came out, but it's a shame that it took until one massive masterpiece came out until Americans start getting into the genre. That said, we were very into Zelda at least.

As for calculator typing, nowadays I would be unable to type fast on new calcs because I keep switching between the CSE, Casio models and HP Prime, which have different ALPHA key alignment. However, at least I get used faster to them than I did on the TI-89 Titanium because at least the ALPHA letters are in the right order.

And yes I still dislike the curved key layout. I always hit the Enter key instead of + when accessing the MEM menu so I often lost lines of code as a result on the 84+. Sadly, we'll have to do with it because despite the TI-84+CE being rectangular, TI decided to stick with the curved keypad. :(