Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Internet no longer exists

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, September 05, 2015, 06:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Google changed their logo. We are now on a 100% different Internet O.O

I actually like it, although it's weird considering the last major change was in 1998 or so.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Adriweb

Eh, no, there have been quite some changes over the past few years :P

Well, the flatness of 2013 was quite noticeable.

Edit: also, this is quite interesting: http://gizmodo.com/how-could-googles-new-logo-be-only-305-bytes-while-its-1728793790
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Dream of Omnimaga

True but the last major font replacement was in 1999

I never saw the 1997 one before, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

Every time I'm on the google page now I think my pc has been infested with a different search engine.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Hayleia

The "oogle" part is ok, but that first "G" is really ugly. It's chin is far too big in my opinion.

Snektron

I actually like the logo, though i find the last one the best. I like the colored G icon better though. Aso i like how the G and the microphone icon on my phone have the updated colors too. I really like them
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

novenary

Yes, I love the new logo. It's awesome.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Hayleia on September 05, 2015, 07:36:10 AM
The "oogle" part is ok, but that first "G" is really ugly. It's chin is far too big in my opinion.
Yeah I agree that the G is a bit too long. The bottom part should probably be shorter.

Also fun fact: I didn't see the 1998 and 1999 logos until around 2010. Back in 1998 I used Metacrawler (which is what schools introduced us to) and in 1999-2000 we used both Altavista and La Toile du Québec.  The latter used to be good as it allowed to search websites from Quebec as an option, but years later it only returned search results from websites from the 90's and it closed in 2014.

Unicorn

I like , except for the 'e' its to, imperfect :P
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Yuki

La Toile du Québec didn't aged well, probably why it died after a good 19 year run.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah IIRC it was just some sort of old web directory that stopped being updated in 2002 or so. It wasn't a web crawling search engine or maybe it didn't check hard enough. But again it's hard to compete against Google and Bing. I am surprised that Bing even took off.

Yuki

Well yeah, pretty sure they didn't used any web crawler and curated the links by hand to make sure they only had content from Québec. So yeah, it was pretty much a directory. Then by 2002 Google went insanely popular and every other search engine that wasn't part of a Fortune 500 company, including Altavista (bought by Yahoo!) and La Toile (bought by Québécor and eventually used Google and later Yahoo! anyway) stopped to be maintained and closed down. In 2014, someone at Québécor noticed La Toile still existed and decided it was better to close it down. Same for AltaVista, who closed due to Yahoo! budget cuts and deemed too unimportant to keep.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I wasn't sure if Altavista existed anymore either. I still remember Babelfish as well (it was better than Google Translate at some point)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yeah, 305 bytes. And how much a SVG rendering library weight on our browsers? They could directly bundle the logo in every browsers and put a 4byte marker so it'll be the most byte effective. :|
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

novenary

Just add a new html tag like this :
<google>
:trollface:
More seriously, SVG in web browsers is great. Not only size but also scaling benefit from it. That said, they don't seem to use the SVG version anywhere, instead they use a PNG.