Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

My Notebook died

Started by DarkestEx, June 24, 2015, 12:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

[spoiler=Cursing]c![/spoiler]
The graphics chip of my main Notebook died yesterday. It does still boot but there is no video on VGA, HDMI nor the LCD.
I guess I have to buy another Notebook even though I can't afford a new one right now [emoji20]
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

alexgt

That sucks
BTW your spoiler says bleep! instead of something else
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

DarkestEx

Quote from: alexgt on June 24, 2015, 12:10:32 AM
That sucks
BTW your spoiler says bleep! instead of something else
Oh I guess that was Tapatalks fault.
I said the Fu*k word.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

novenary

It's the forum's auto censor engine. You can turn it off in your profile.

Can't you send the laptop in for repairs ?

DarkestEx

Quote from: Streetwalrus on June 24, 2015, 12:23:22 AM

The Notebook was already in repair for a dead LCD. I don't want another repair. BTW. the GPU is soldered to the mainboard. It is not replaceavle sadly :(

Snektron

Oh that sucks :/ last year when i got my pc, after a few weeks my mobo died.
I had to send it back and the cers took like 6 weeks to repair it  >:(
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

DarkestEx

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on June 24, 2015, 12:03:12 PM
Oh that sucks :/ last year when i got my pc, after a few weeks my mobo died.
I had to send it back and the bleepers took like 6 weeks to repair it  >:(
Oh thats really bad!

BTW. I was looking into the problem and I think the GPU is thermally damages.
LCD shows picture for half a second without backlit and VGA line gets VSync signal but no data, HDMI is fully dead.
There is no visible inverter anywhere on the LCD or in the case.

novenary

Quote from: DarkestEx on June 24, 2015, 12:30:01 AM

The Notebook was already in repair for a dead LCD. I don't want another repair. BTW. the GPU is soldered to the mainboard. It is not replaceavle sadly :(

My dad had the same problem with his old laptop. Thermal damage, picture was all colored stripes on the LCD and outputs. It was a known issue from nvidia so dell replaced the motherboard under warranty.

DarkestEx

Quote from: Streetwalrus on June 24, 2015, 01:45:20 PM
Quote from: DarkestEx on June 24, 2015, 12:30:01 AM

My dad had the same problem with his old laptop. Thermal damage, picture was all colored stripes on the LCD and outputs. It was a known issue from nvidia so dell replaced the motherboard under warranty.
Oh, nice.
I sadly can't do anything but buy a new one. Any suggestions?

novenary

Whatever fits you, specs and price wise I guess.

Dream of Omnimaga

IMHO you should get a desktop PC if you don't absolutely need the mobility of a laptop/notebook. Laptops and notebooks break after 2 years if you use them regularly, especially the hard drive, battery or screen, and it costs much more to repair it than buying a new one.

Regardless of what you choose, don't get your notebook repaired a second time. You're better off buying a brand new computer, even if a lower end one (it's unlikely to be lower end if your notebook is old).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

CKH4

Toshiba satellite with amd onboard and an a8 2ghz. Works great for me we got an open box deal of < $300.

Edit. Rip computer :'(
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

DarkestEx

Quote from: CKH4 on June 24, 2015, 11:01:58 PM
Toshiba satellite with amd onboard and an a8 2ghz. Works great for me we got an open box deal of < $300.

Edit. Rip computer :'(
Nice :)

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 24, 2015, 10:50:03 PM
IMHO you should get a desktop PC if you don't absolutely need the mobility of a laptop/notebook. Laptops and notebooks break after 2 years if you use them regularly, especially the hard drive, battery or screen, and it costs much more to repair it than buying a new one.

Regardless of what you choose, don't get your notebook repaired a second time. You're better off buying a brand new computer, even if a lower end one (it's unlikely to be lower end if your notebook is old).

I do actually have two modern desktop PCs.
But I need the mobility of a notebook and one of my desktops is so horribly slow.
I already gutted out the laptop and gave the case to my little sister so that she can pretend to have a real laptop.
I would like to have something with 6 or 8GB of ram and something like an Intel i3 or i5.
I am willing to pay a maximum of 400€.
I saw a nice Lenovo notebook with that specs in this price.
Any other suggestions?

novenary

Lenovo is a good brand. You should link the specs.