Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Easter eggs

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, March 27, 2016, 02:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

So this is Easter holiday for some people, and I say Happy Easter to them, but don't eat too much chocolate. :P Also, have some easter eggs:

Anyway, I was wondering if there were easter eggs in the other meaning (eg the hidden software stuff) that you liked in particular or other game oddities that might be easter eggs that you liked? Or if you had discovered ones that weren't discovered before, maybe share them. :) In my case, some of my favorite Easter eggs were the "I am Error." thing in Zelda II, as well as the Save the Whales easter eggs in MirageOS 1.0 for the 83+ (they were removed in 1.1 but the option is still there, doing nothing)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Happy Easter. :)

Before Mr. Bob's Bad Day was lost, if Bob went to watch TV in his bedroom, Walmagii emerged from the TV and if you were willing to become a :walrii: and gave Walmagii a fish cracker sacrifice, you could win the game.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

c4ooo

In Lazer I, there is a secret level 51 after level 50.
If you dont want to beat all 50 levels to see it, simply follow these steps:
Run Lazer I
After the title animation, press [on] in the main menu (dont use the quit button).
Type {51,51}->LLZ
Run the game again.
Press 'play' in the main menu.
And volla!

Yuki

- This website has a few easter eggs.
- Debian's APT has a a few cow-related easter eggs. (type apt-get moo and apt-get help)
- Microsoft software had some elaborate ones, around 1997, before they decided to remove them.
- Google has some nice ones too in most of their products (Search, Images, Maps, YouTube, etc.) and always adds something on April's Fools. In Google Maps, while it isn't warning you that one does not simply walk into Mordor, you can actually enter a TARDIS from Doctor Who on some street in London in Street View mode.
- Netscape and Mozilla software poking fun at Microsoft with The Book of Mozilla.
And some of my favourite ones are not necessarly in software, but also in movies and TV (if that also count):
- Most TV shows references other literature and even mathematical concepts as easter eggs, Futurama is famously known for taking this to the extreme. Some examples: Hardy-Ramanujan number 1729 is shown a lot as a serial number, as well as other mathematical constants hidden here and there, Bender's CPU is a 6502 (just like the Apple II), etc. The fact that some of the writers have PhDs in applied mathematics and physics isn't helping. xD
- My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is also known for this, it also became a pastime for the fans to find the cross-eyed pony known as Derpy in the background of most episodes, or the Doctor from Doctor Who and his companion. In the 100th episode, where the fan-favourites are upgraded to main character status for an episode, a photo of some of the show runners with horse masks on is shown during one frame.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 27, 2016, 05:31:03 PM

Before Mr. Bob's Bad Day was lost, if Bob went to watch TV in his bedroom, Walmagii emerged from the TV and if you were willing to become a :walrii: and gave Walmagii a fish cracker sacrifice, you could win the game.
Wait, that was in your game? O.O
Quote from: c4ooo on March 27, 2016, 05:36:15 PM
In Lazer I, there is a secret level 51 after level 50.
If you dont want to beat all 50 levels to see it, simply follow these steps:
Run Lazer I
After the title animation, press [on] in the main menu (dont use the quit button).
Type {51,51}->LLZ
Run the game again.
Press 'play' in the main menu.
And volla!
Is level 51 intended to work fine and is it harder?

Also in my calc games, easter eggs used to be very rare, but there were some special things that are meaningless to the game but that I still somehow added anyway:

-In Illusiat 13, this is when I started intentionally adding Easter eggs in my games. There is a boss that is very hard and is called Unicorn. But as a joke, a much weaker form of it was added as random enemy encounters and is called Unic instead of Unicorn.

-In Illusiat 10, there is a cutscene that is very reminiscent of the twin towers that were destroyed on September 11th 2001. It was not intended as a reference to 9/11 but the twin towers rises from the ground instead of being destroyed, and since the game came out in September 2002 then that could probably have been interpreted as a reference to the attacks.

-CodeWalrus' Walrii fanart thread has two cat walruses running at the bottom of the screen and they blink from red to teal colors. Both Walrii sprites are based on the walrus Garfield one and the animation repeats over and over. In @Streetwalrus profile, there is a similar animation, but with a flying walrus instead and it's slower.

-There is a /walrii command on WalrusIRC and it sends a dozen of walruses flying across the shoutbox.

-Some of my Mario Maker levels have the words Code and Walrus written with blocks in unreachable areas.

-The 2010 Omnimaga Tribute video says a secret message around 5 minutes into the video, but it's hard to see because the text color is almost identical to the background: https://youtube.com/watch?v=3SJ6MP2-WYs
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

My easter eggs? Well I haven't had many, but...

-The secret code to use the most powerful fighter in TI-Thrash Color is: Press 9 on the Character Select Screen. Input the code "TILDA^3". The secret code in the monochrome version is either "123OJKLFSB", referencing both usernames I have used (123outerme, and JKLFromSpongebob, an account my brother made for me on Kongregate) or "HAY,JWINS,APOTATO" referencing Hayleia, JWinslow, and APotato, who IIRC had helped me large amounts when creating it.

-To use the most powerful fighter in Tourn, you must input PRGM on the Character Select Screen then select (I believe) the Inverted fighter.

-[spoiler=Sorcery of Uvutu Spoiler, Testers may proceed]
The mysterious floating island in Dragon's Den, in the map just to the east of the first one outside the town, is in the shape of the USA. Sorry, Canadian members, you'll get your easter egg in West Pole. Once I make it.
[/spoiler]
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

JWinslow23

...well, I suppose I should put stuff here.

Flappy Bird has two Easter eggs:

1. Press UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT APPS MATH ENTER at the title screen. A sideways message saying "MADE BY OMNIMAGA" will appear. This was inspired by the "MADE BY NAMCO" Easter egg in Pac-Man.
2. Play the game, and get a score of 3, 1, and 4, in that order, then from the Game Over screen, entirely quit the game. When you go back in the game, the clouds will have the message "YOU JUST LOST THE GAME!" on them, and the Game Over screen displays "The Game!". Just so people would lose just a little more. :P

My latest pi calculator has one Easter egg: if Ans is 2pi before the program runs, the program will calculate tau instead. ;)

This is the Only Level has two Easter eggs:

1. After you beat the level, press ON at the ending screen. When you go back in, you'll be in a stage called "undefined", which functions as a normal stage, but the button is not functional.
2. If you press and hold ON while selecting the option "Play or Continue Level One", you'll be transported to a stage called "You dirty cheater :P", which functions exactly like a normal stage. After you beat it, you'll have beaten the game. Good for you. :P

Dudeman313

And now I know all your secrets...
>:D >:D >:D
And now if @PT_ revealed his Ultimate Pong [CE] secrets, my plan would be complete...
>:D
The answer is "Sure."

Yuki

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 27, 2016, 06:45:49 PM
-There is a /walrii command on WalrusIRC and it sends a dozen of walruses flying across the shoutbox.
And don't forget /ponies, which sends a pegasus following your mouse.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

PT_

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 27, 2016, 08:39:09 PM
And now I know all your secrets...
>:D >:D >:D
And now if @PT_ revealed his Ultimate Pong [CE] secrets, my plan would be complete...
>:D
You wish I wil reveal it...  8)
Well, if the left paddle is at the bottom and the bottom paddle of the left and you then switch the colors, you get an extra life, one per level ;)

Dudeman313

That's good to know.
Wait...there were levels?
The answer is "Sure."

PT_

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 27, 2016, 09:14:12 PM
That's good to know.
Wait...there were levels?
not really levels but you need to die before you can get a new one, if I'm right

Dream of Omnimaga

Wow @JWinslow23 those are some pretty elaborate easter eggs for Flappy Bird :O. I actually included the Konami code in one version of Zelda: Sord of Atari, back then (I don't know if I still have it. it might still be included with the current version zip file, though). Doing the Konami code on the title screen turned the background pink and you started with only 1 life.

Dudeman313

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 27, 2016, 06:45:49 PM
Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 27, 2016, 05:31:03 PM

Wait, that was in your game? O.O
But of course! If you did the wrong thing, Walmagii would use his wand to burn you to a crisp by firing Lightning Walruses.
The answer is "Sure."