Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Vinyl Scratch osu! skin

Started by unknownloner, December 31, 2014, 12:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unknownloner

Got bored of what existing osu! skins there are, so I figured I'd try my hand at making one and see how it goes. For those not aware, an osu! 'skin' allows you to customize the way the entire game looks pretty much. Almost every UI and game element is themeable. If you're not even sure what 'osu!' is, go HERE!

I decided to go with a skin based on Vinyl Scratch because I figure osu! is a rhythm game, so it makes sense to go with a music pony. I'm sure there's probably already some Vinyl skin out there, but I want to try and make my own regardless. I'm going for sort-of a neon glow look for the UI and text, but I'm trying not to go overboard with it, so I'm not making all the game elements glow or anything like that.

As I'm not exactly an artist, this thing includes many vectors shamelessly stolen borrowed from other artists. I'm also not exactly a designer, so if anything seems to go against basic rules of 'making things look good' lemme know!

Suggestions for improvements / ideas for how to skin different UI elements welcome. I'm especially trying to figure out what to do for the game modifier settings, because each one has it's own icon. (by mods I mean these).

Lots of screenshots, so spoilers ahoy so they don't eat the screen

Circles:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Slider:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Random combo burst:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Spinner:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Back button (rest of UI isn't themed yet)
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Section pass/fail
[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

/)

Dream of Omnimaga

Ooh I love how this came out. Everything blends well together. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Yep, I agree. Nice Vinyl theme.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Keoni29

Havent played that game yet. Downloading now.
If you like my work, why not give me an internet?

unknownloner

Score/ranking screen seems to work! I figured the 'perfect combo' image would be a good place for the bass cannon to make an appearance. I'm considering going back and making the fill on the score numbers match the fill on the 'PERFECT', but I'm not sure. I might do it later to see how it looks but I'd rather work on other parts of the skin first.

/)

Dream of Omnimaga

I like this too :D and seriously, everything fits so well together, with the ponies and colors. :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

unknownloner

Well, spent some time mapping a song I never finished mapping (still not done) so I could record myself playing the map with the skin :D.

/)

Dream of Omnimaga

Seriously, that game looks hard! O.O

But I like how the skin turned out, seriously. Is it possible to do more old school skins, by the way? (For example, having pixelated, NES style Mario graphics)

Also lol at when the white pony appeared. It did a Super Mario Bros Pause sound :P

unknownloner

That's the default 'section-pass' sound :P
And you can do pixelated, but I'm not sure how it'd look. The game would scale it up at certain points and you can't force it to use nearest-neighbor scaling so it might look a little fuzzy depending on your game resolution.

/)

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh, too bad we can't use nearest neighbor. Forget about the idea, then. :P (I hate how Nintendo 64 emulators or web browsers blur scaled up 2D graphics sometimes).

unknownloner

Also, perhaps this will make the game seem a little less intimidating :D

/)

Dream of Omnimaga

Hm that seems more reasonable for my reflexes, unless of course we need to use multiple keys. Definitively much easier than the other songs, though.

At Stepmania I can't even beat a song at lowest difficulty.

unknownloner

There's one action: 'click'
You can do that with Z, X, left mouse btn, or right mouse btn, but it doesn't matter because its the same action.
Most high rank players use just keyboard, but some will use mouse or keyboard by itself for most of the song, and then quickly alternate between the two for fast sections.

/)

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok good. In Guitar Hero if you are not used to playing a real guitar it can take a while to get used to both hitting the strum bar and buttons simultaneously and in Dance Dance Revolution you got 4 arrows and when you have to react fast I can't imagine how hard it must be to play with a dance mat. O.O

novenary

Nice theme. I like the girl in the background too (no not the pony :P).