Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-83+ Series][Axe] 3 Pixels Tall

Started by CKH4, April 23, 2015, 12:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

If you can manage to learn some HP PPL you could develop an HP Prime entry using the free emulator actually.  :P

Not that I like being pushy about learning new languages but I thought I would mention HP PPL since the Prime is the only calc  you can emulate legally for free without owning it and HP made the emulator.

Back on the project, I like the jumping idea. I wonder how hard it would be to implement?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

CKH4

Yeah, I've considered the prime but I don't really want to learn a new language yet so I think I'll use xlibc because its simple enough that I don't actually need the real calc.

The jumping will be easy, the hardest part will be the depth map. I have no clue how I'll get that done.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

alexgt

After fiddling around with the Prime I learned HP PPL really fast, the only trouble I had was with graphical objects but I have that sorted out so in the future the Prime is a good choice.

Jumping sounds good but you would have to animate the guy so it didn't look like he was just going forwards  :-\
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

CKH4

So I shorten the guy before he jumps like this:
Line(X,Y+JUMPING,X,Y+3
And so that is all the animation that you can do in 3 pixels there is also a shadow so that you can actually tell that you're jumping instead of walking.

On a future updateish note I'm going to have a spiral that you stand on when the final guy will talk to you. I may do lots of cutscenes if I can make them relatively small so that I don't put too much stuff in the engine. I think that I may use teleporters instead of walking for map transitions because I think that it'd be easier and cooler.

alexgt

Oh yeah the shadow... you forget about grayscale when most of your programming career is based on Ti-84+ Basic :P
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

CKH4

Yeah that's how it was for me until this year. I had always been fascinated by gray scale so I tried xlib but didn't understand. Thank goodness for axe :).

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: CKH4 on May 02, 2015, 06:23:44 PM
Yeah, I've considered the prime but I don't really want to learn a new language yet so I think I'll use xlibc because its simple enough that I don't actually need the real calc.

The jumping will be easy, the hardest part will be the depth map. I have no clue how I'll get that done.
Wait, you mention xLIBC. Does it mean you are now making 3 Pixels tall as a CSE BASIC game instead of 83+ Axe? I am kinda confused now ??? Unless it was a typo and intended to be Axe?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

The mockups looks like a TI83+/84+ screen so i think its Axe
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

CKH4

For the contest, not for this. Sorry for the confusion.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah right. If you mean the 83+ xLIB though keep in mind grayscale is harder to do than in Axe. Axe does everything for you, while with xLIB you need to do the dithering yourself then display each dithered frame manually.

CKH4

Yeah I never really got gray scale in xlib. I'm planning to make the contest game in xlib for the cse so that shouldn't be a problem. Sorry that it's a little off topic but can custom colors be defined in xlibc?

Dream of Omnimaga

yes you can use custom colors. You should check Doors CSE wiki for more info on commands. The one you'll most likely use the most is the rectangle one. http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php/Third-Party_BASIC_Libraries_(Color)

SiphonicSugar

I have no idea why, but for some reason I have a habit of reading whole threads like this... ???
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Ideally it is best to only bump old topics if you have something to add to the discussion, though ;)

That reminds me CKH4, is this project still alive?

SiphonicSugar

Okay.  :)

But anyway, this does seem like an amazing RPG.
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P